Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

• Registered Users Posts: 32,167 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah I doubt they would be in same category one would be lead the other would be supporting :)

Murphy nailed on for Oscar nom I would think, you never know with Gosling they don't tend to love comedies but then again Melissa McCarthy got a nom for bridesmaids.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Same rating as most Marvel and recent Star Wars movies. Despite that plenty would see those movies as being aimed at kids so I wouldn't blame parents too much.

I'd suspect with Barbie the director/studio knew exactly what they were doing and bent over backwards to get the rating down to 12A so they would bring in that exact market of unsuspecting parents.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I guess it depends on what happens with the strikes and potential delays in releasing the big Oscars contenders, but yeah, even if Gosling got in, highly unlikely it would be for Lead Actor. Although between Michelle Williams and Andrea Risborough this year, anything is possible.

I was listening to Mark Kermode review Oppenheimer and I think he said if Cillian Murphy doesn't get an Oscar nomination he'll eat his hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Is it not just a c**p kids film?

what am i missing? :)

Greta Gerwig has made history as Barbie scored a US$377m (£293m, A$560m) opening weekend around the world, making it the biggest debut ever for a film directed by a woman

12A means that it's suitable for 12 and over but kids under 12 can see the film if accompanied by an adult.

12+ don't need to be accompanied by an adult.

Yeah, my bad, I knew it didn't sound right when I was typing it. Point still stands though, it's up to parents to suss out what they're brining their kids to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Barbie on Saturday night was a pretty terrific cinema experience in Swords. The audience seemed glued to it, even some applause at the end. Mostly women and young girls/families. The film itself I was less keen on the start until they got to the real world. It has good fun skewering various things and is a pretty wild ride overall. It's funny, though I had only about two proper chuckle laughs. Meanwhile, in the city centre, Cineworld has 19 showings of Barbie today. 19! And 22 on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

Well I absolutely loved! It is a cultural phenomenon already and will be quoted for years to come (especially Ken's lines).

It will be up there with Mean Girls, Clueless, (maybe Bridget Jones No.1) .... as a classic comedy loved by women and forever referenced.

Just a great cinematic experience with complete buy-in from the crowd including the pink attire.

I went with my husband (who also enjoyed it), but will go back with pals.

Pure joy!

10 / 10

I saw something the other day that said Barbie and Oppenheimer cost less to make combined than Thor Love and Thunder did.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really enjoyed this a lot, the quality and attention to detail in the set design was amazing.

I did find it dropped off a cliff after the climax with Ken's big musical number (which was absolutely brilliant) - was starting to look at my watch from that point on hoping they'd wrap things up soon, they didn't.

Looks about right 250m love and thunder (absolute mess of a film)

Barbie 145m and Oppenheimer 100m, would be interesting to see marketing spends etc. Barbie I would guess is making serious coin with all the collabs and crossovers it seems to be absolutely everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

The Avengers in 2012 was the last marvel movie I saw so I don't know about it being a mess. But that movie did well($760.9m box office) and would have made incredible profits if it wasn't banned in China.

You are not missing anything (bar a very good performance from Christian Bale). The previous Thor film, Thor Ragnarok was good fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Saw this tonight and it was good. I was aware that it'd be different to what the title suggests but it was different again from what I expected.

It doesn't take itself too seriously and it took the piss out of itself quite a bit. There's some things I'm surprised Mattel left in, though it could also go a bit further with the boardroom stuff.

The speech about being a woman was a great moment. I did feel at one point it was going too far into 'dumb men' stereotypes but it actually swung back and broke down incels pretty well. I agree that they tried to address a lot and maybe could have given more time to some of them.

It's cheery and entertaining, though I don't think it was laugh out loud funny. I got a bit of a Rocky Horror vibe from. That said, there's a lot of serious stuff dealt with and it has a lot of heart, though it doesn't pull any punches (Depression Barbie).

Gosling was the star for me, he hogged so much of the film and had a pretty thorough arc. Robbie was great too. There's a lot of pressure on whoever does that role, it is the epitomy of that speech that the mother gave and Robbie was convincing at it. The mother was good, too. I liked that they didn't explain the father away. No 'he died young', divorce or alcoholism; he seems like a.perfectly.fine father. Allan was charming too and the Weird Barbie was a good touch.

It's a film that has a lot to say and will start conversations. If ever there was a 'don't judge a book by its cover' film, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How annoying is this to see btw? I kind of want to go see it but at the same time I'm less thrilled about being surrounded by loads of screaming girls dressed in pink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was at a sold-out screening in the Light House with plenty of pink-clad groups, and thought it added immensely to the atmosphere. Extremely well-behaved crowd - enthusiastic but totally respectful, simply laughing along with the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Was not expecting much from this tbh, just went cos a buddy bought tickets.

I really enjoyed it, really enjoyed it. cannot understand why anyone would bring young kids to it though, they just wouldn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Such a fun film. You can tell it'll be a classic for years to come. Excellent performances all round and the songs are hilarious in it.

Just buy in and go with it!

Saw it today. Really enjoyed it, but I have to say seeing it with a full house was a horrible experience. I don't think I've been in a cinema with as many people since way before Covid so maybe I'm just a bit out of practice but other people are so annoying. My local cinema also allows you to order food to be delivered into you DURING the film! Never been a problem before because I usually wait until the end of a run and there'll be 2 or 3 other people in the screening with me. But today there was pizzas being delivered into the screen every 5 minutes for about half an hour. Kept taking me out of the film.

That aside I did really enjoy it and there were some really funny stuff in it. I didn't mind the messaging lacking subtlety because I think they actually went deeper than I was expecting with some aspects of Ken. Definitely one I think I'd like to see again without the interpretations though.

Warner Bros marketing team had $150 million marketing budget that equalled the production costs for the entire film

And scheduling it to open same day as Oppenheimer did their job for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saw it. Laughed a bunch. Had feels at the right moment too. Liked that.

lol, can't say I'd have survived if I tried to do both Barbie and Oppenheimer in the one day 😀

One extra special shout out for using the camera trick .. I can't remember the name .. to do the

effect of being far away looking down and making them driving around Barbieland look like they were toys 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is a Disney film opening tomorrow Haunted Mansion , these 2 movies Barbie& Opp have sucked all the oxygen out of the room

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hated it. Tbf, the sets look great, there was a few funny moments and Gosling and Robbie are clearly having a blast but what a steaming turd of an entry into the gender wars that never gets past the level of "boys are stoopid, throw rocks at them"...

Judging by the screening I was in, and the fact my 8 year old niece went along with a group of her friends, I reckon there's going to be an awful lot of very confused kids being brought to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Had a blast watching this film. It is as fun as I'd hoped and the cast are brilliant.

Given cinemas are experiencing their busiest time in a long time with Barbenheimer, I'm surprised (or maybe not actually) that Cineworld wouldn't' have more kiosks open to deal with demand. If that's where they make a lot of their money then it makes sense to be able to deal with the demand. It was a joke seeing two massive queues for popcorn and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Absolutely superb film. Gerwig smashed it out of the park. Gosling is hysterical.

• Advertisement

I thought it was quite clever how they portrayed the Kens as a (only very slightly) heightened version of how woman have been portrayed in media for years. Ken is basically a sexy lamp.

Advertisement