Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think the Guardian removed QOTSA anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not much there for me. I think the lineup overall will be weak this year but it matters not! I’ll wait for the stuff in the smaller print it’s usually more interesting. I might go and Lana though if she doesn’t clash with arctic monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Some great stuff as ever but that’s a pretty bland lineup. That doesn’t make me feel happier about not going as the worst Glasto (weather permitting) is still the best festival of the year.

There’s enough for me on that poster before they announce much of the smaller stuff and in 2022 the Acoustic stage and William’s Green had much of my favourite stuff over the weekend. Enjoy it people, I’ll be crying on my sofa in late June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Missing my first one in 20 years this June. This softens the blow somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Might give it the skip this year.

Price, lineup and the crowds last year a factor.

• Advertisement

Lot of excuses from Em E in the statement. Her head seems to be wrecked with the whole craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The John Peel statement? Haven't seen it (But heard about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

Post edited by crl84 on

Someone put me back on track please. The EDI breakdown of festival line up announcements is a serious snoozer. Non-white % of GNR members, etc. Ah here.

Who's head wouldn't be? Not enough females, not enough black headliners etc.

• Advertisement

Surprised there isn't a female Pyramid headliner alright. I'm not one for enforced gender representation or anything, but it does definitely help diversify. I would have expected Taylor Swift (Even though we all pretty much knew G n' R and Arctic Monkeys were pretty much a shoe-in). Especially as she does have a new album out and is touring the US and they certainly would have had time to arrange schedules. A couple of years at least to work something out.

Anyway, I think that's a pretty strong (If traditional) initial lineup. I will still try to get tickets in resale. But it does need another shakeup. They need to bring in your J-pop and K-pop, they need to bring in more hip-hop, more female acts - there are certainly many out there who, while maybe not be at level to headline Pyramid, certainly could headline Other or be on before headline on Pyramid. Lizzo is enormous.

I mean, I would prob stick to the more traditional acts but it needs to be about more than old wrinklies like me. It'll still sell out in minutes so there is no risk. Yes, people will complain ("Oh, Jay-Z is not Glasto". Remember that idiot? Galaghar and that Irish muppet who tried to start a campaign to stop it. Even though the campaigner had never been before). So you would have complainers but you will ALWAYS have complainers (Usually from people who have never been).

I know they have temp disbanded while they do their military service and I would have no interest in BTS's music but, if the audience was right, can you imagine them at Glasto? I think they'd do great. Look, I'm not saying go for the tween market but, yeah, throw in a couple of radically "different" main acts. There is more than enough there for the moaney gits to occupy themselves while these acts are on. Anyone who just hangs around The Pyramid and Other is missing out and missing the whole point of Glasto. (Anyone catch that awesome "Brass Against" at West Holts last year? They were fantastic and recommended)

I think GNR were a replacement for a female artist from what I read in Guardian earlier. I assumed that to be Swift who was originally doing it but changed their plans

Yeah GnR are in for Taylor, who looks to be booked already for next year.

That does explain it alright. Yeah. Sounds about right.

And they’re probably also continuing to chase Fleetwood Mac. They need to get their skates on for that.

Think FM are done. Stevie solo the only game in town Id say.

Swift is a loss for them, no question. Unsure why the fallback was for GNR rather than just elevate Lizzo to headliner. Seems a bit of a mess, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Are they good? That's the only requirement i have. Couldn't care less about their gender/race/creed/sexual orientation yadda yadda yadda.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Think theres a happy medium. GNR issueing corrections to the Guardian on how diverse they are is hazelnuts.

Unless there’s another death this year I’d expect one last run in 2024. Buckingham has said he’s up for it, but you never know with that lot. Neil Finn will be giving a strong Glasto recommendation after last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Isint Finn still a member of FM now? Thought Buckingham was still persona non grata with them,

They got both Finn & Mike Campbell to replace Buckingham so I’d guess he could return with Finn in place. Some or other member of the band is always out of favour, or missing.

Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see Fleetwood Mac but, for conversation, if they did play Glastonbury, where would you think? Legend or headline the Pyramid? I'm assuming, given their egos, they would have to headline.

And who would be the ultimate Legends act?

They’re the act that Michael Eavis regularly refers to as the one he most wants. One of the biggest selling acts of all time whose last English dates were two nights selling out Wembley Stadium in 2019. The idea of them being anything but headliners would not even enter my thoughts.

There's a lot more that would give them headline status than just their ego. If Fleetwood Mac are playing anywhere, they're headlining easily and would likely be the biggest headliner on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Could have had Lana headline instead of GnR surely? If Billie **** Eilish can do it she can, she has real talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Lizzo should have headlined. Has the hits and energy. Gnr are just boring

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

does that article say it was GNR that issued a correction to the guardian ? Or did the guardian journalist look at Wikipedia after they wrote the article initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,063 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Beyonce or Madonna also rumoured? Lizzo is a big artist, Grammy and Brit winner

• Advertisement

Absolutely. They’re bigger than any act headlining this year. None of them could sell out two nights at Wembley.

Advertisement