Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options
  • 01-12-2022 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭

Ok it's time for a thread. The BBC Glasto twitter account is hinting at Elton John it would appear. Not sure if he'd play the legends slot or what but we have something at last!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought it was Roxy Music for the Legends Spot.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No way he's doing the legend slot. Reg is headlining.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Confirmed now. Huge booking and apparently it’s his last gig of his “final” tour, if you believe that.

Im not really a fan but I’m sure lots of people will be very happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah, massive booking surely.

Not a huge fan myself, but there's no denying he is a legend. I'll wait to see who he's up against, but would definitely be happy enough to go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Last UK gig of his final UK tour.

He is playing a few European concerts in July.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour started September 2018, ends July 2023. I managed his last ever Welsh gig and should be at his last ever Scottish one (which is also his last ever UK indoor gig!) In total I think by the time he finally gets to the end of this tour I will have seen him 11 times over 40 years - the "Farewell" tour (currently!!) runs to 330 shows

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

What's happened with the Roxy Music booking? Loads of media outlets reported them doing the legends slot and eFestivals had them as TBC. Now they've disappeared from that site's rumours page.

Possibly a recent media embargo until they sell out their 2023 tour dates which are soon to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So looks like:

Arctic Monkeys

Guns n Roses

Elton John

Prodigy and Queens of the Stone Age runners to headliner the Other.

Surprised there's no significant female act in a major slot. Possibly Lizzo and The Spice Girls announced soon with Taylor Swift for 2024. All pretty uninspiring thus far for June but obviously loads of good stuff will balance it out. Kraftwerk headlining the Other Stage would be special.

• Advertisement

Im not holding out a lot of hope. Most festival lineups so far for 23 have been meh.

And Glasto isn't above having weak lineups. I found my 2019 t shirt a few days ago and when I looked at the back I thought to myself wow that wasn't great.

Out of those 3 id probably only want to see AM but I'm fine with that.

It’s never an issue when the man headliners are sub-par though is it?

In years when it seems disappointing I’m still tearing my hair out at all the great acts I’ve got to miss. Last June I thought The Park, Pyramid and JP weren’t impressive but Acoustic, West Holts and William’’s Green made up for them. Better headliners than this year though. Am not going in June but as per every year I miss I’ll be watching on enviously.

Thought 22 was a bit meh aswell for the most part. But Im at the stage now where Ive seen Macca twice at the festival. This will be the third time Arctic Monkeys have headlined in my time going. Coldplay have done 4 I think? Starting to look a bit stale.

Man stage 2022 yes but 2/3 headliners excellent and some great heritage acts. I skipped Bille to watch the Primals and Mary Chain and found music to see all day long but definitely not a great Glasto lineup.

The original 2020 one was better - The main acts not greatly changed but several went missing - Gilberto Gil, Isley Brothers, Thom Yorke, Lana Del Ray, The Specials, Happy Mondays, Anderson Paak, Manic Street Preachers, etc.

2023 has started badly (for me) but it’ll probably end up being very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I found 2022 a bit tough, I must admit. I thought it was a bit "Meh" with some highlights. One of the gang bought a heavy flag which was a pain in the ass (Flag too heavy, poll too tall - Wouldn't recommend it). And we hadn't been in 3 years and a few other minor things. Were out of practice. Will pick it back up.

But we still went for tickets of course for 2023 but couldn't get them (For first time in 15 years) Will still try for the resale of course.

Can't see GnR playing. It would be GREAT to see them on top-form headlining Saturday night Pyramid but too much of a risk I would imagine. What are the odds of them turning up on time and in form?

Arctic Monkeys? Yeah, they seem likely. But I agree, they will prob have a female headliner. And they need that - Not as some gender-equality stuff but simply because it works. It brings a new crowd. I mean, I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan - I have nothing against her. I applaud her success and, in fairness, she is willing to experiment. But I wouldn't go to see her in concert. However there is no doubt that she would have absolutely stormed Glasto in 2020.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the lineup yet. If I were to get tickets for 2023 I would love to see Elton John. If for no other reason than he's Elton John and has a tune or two 😀. And it's his last touring date (Yeah right). The Monkeys? Wouldn't be the biggest fan but would depend on what else is on elsewhere.

To those who haven't been there before and are MAYBE a little underwhelmed by this potential lineup, I say this: There is more to Glasto than "The Pyramid" and "The Other" stages. And more than the headliners. Some of the best fun can be had at West Holts (Did anyone catch "Brass Against" last year?) or The Park or other, smaller venues.

And I know I SHOULD be saying "Oh that's muck, hand back your tickets" to help my case 😀. But yes, it could do with a bit of a shakeup. Just a bit of a kick in the pants but to the Glasto Virgins: Don't be put off if you don't like the headliners, there is lots to do and sometimes you'd be amazed what you can see just by having a mooch around.

I've got to say that last year was one of my best ever Glastos. Returning after not being for eight years helped, the weather was near perfect (sunny but not too hot and the little rain was mainly overnight) and the vibe was possibly the best I've ever seen there. Just so many people so happy to be back. The artistry and creativity on display for the installations and fields was astonishing, gets better every year and never fails to astound me. The effort that is put into making this stuff available to people for five days only is staggering. And I agree re the lineup which was mixed. I still ended up missing acts that would have made up a brilliant alternative festival. I also spent lots of time at West Holts, probably my favourite stage - Black Midi, Caribou, TLC, Sleaford Mods, Leon Bridges, etc. Acoustic and William's Green really impressive this year, Park much less so.

There will never be a Glasto where there's not enough decent music to catch and not be overwhelmed by all there is to see. No return for me til 2024/25 but as ever I'll be watching on enviously until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

They better have some good counter programming otherwise the late night stuff will get rammed whatever night they are down for with people not arsed to see which Axel shows up 2 hours late.

Yeah I won't be bothering with them anyway. Bizarre booking for Glasto imo. It was fun music when I was 15 but they're a joke these days. They must be struggling for headline tier acts this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Radiohead look like they might be the other headliners judging by the Twitter of the guy who does their album art.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭crl84

The "guy who does their album art" has been doing the Glastonbury art for years too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Axl hasn't been late AT ALL since Duff and Slash rejoined, he's been early if anything, i'm thinking it was one of the stipulations of them getting back together, no more arsing about with lateness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah GnR are much more professional now. He's dosent even storm off stage any more. Have to admit they far exceeded my expectations when they reunited for Slane that time. Axl must have had some sort of vocal therapy because his voice sounds great.

I think they'd be perfectly fine headliners, people are constantly complaining about the lack of guitar bands at festivals these days but GnR certainly fit the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

I can't wait to be honest, one of my favorite festivals, it's up there with Burning Man and Tomorrowland. Going to be legendary. 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

just heard on tv that Blondie guitarist let it slip that they have been booked for Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Can't wait to be at that music festival ! Personally, I hope that I am at a festival in September in sunny Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭crl84

Arctic Monkeys and GnR nd loads of others confirmed. Lana Del Rey and Wizkid headling the Other.

e: QOTSA were on a list put up by the Guardian, but have since been removed.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/03/arctic-monkeys-guns-n-roses-elton-john-all-male-glastonbury-headliners-a-pipeline-problem-says-emily-eavis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

e: official now: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-2023-line-up-so-far/

The lineup so far

Arctic Monkeys

Guns N’ Roses

Elton John

Lizzo

Aitch

Alison Goldfrapp

Alt-J

Amadou and Mariam

Becky Hill

Blondie

Candi Staton