Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree. But at least GnR haven't headlined before (I don't think)

Arctic Monkeys are boring and they've already headlined a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Now, I think G n' R will be fun but I agree, as much as I know bugger all about Lizzo, I know she's huge. Maybe not Sat night huge but Friday night, her headlining, then Arctic Monkeys then Elton John. I would have given her a miss but, again, big act.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No idea, I just went straight to Taylor on some assumption as I thought she was supposed to tour this year but had nothing announced yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Now that he's ticked the Stones off his list, they're pretty much the only other Jurrasic era giants left as a going concern he's not bagged (apart from the Kinks* who are talking to each other again but not gotten round to doing anything)

*Kinks are obviously not in same ball park of scale but would be utterly class. Saw FM in the point in 2013, they were an absolute class live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The Sat headliner has not been the main one for quite some time, it can be any of the three nights. Artists to take the Fri night slot in the past 15 years include Radiohead, Neil Young, U2, Arcade Fire & Muse.

And I agree re Lizzy being big enough for a headlining slot though GnR probably more fun. Lana del Ray undoubtedly there or nearly there to top the bill but more downbeat. Two of the three headliners in 2024 to be female I expect, Taylor Swift and a Stevie Nicks-led Mac or Beyoncé/Rihanna.

• Advertisement

He often mentions Zep as well but I think Plant has definitely had enough of that. FM superb on the RDS in 2019 and they’d storm Glasto. I was astonished by how many youngsters were there, they seem to have an appeal to the youth that other acts of the era haven’t managed.

And the Kinks. If only. A perennial rumour but I think Dave Davies’ health must be a major factor. And his brother’s bloody-mindedness.

Snarky Snark Snark

The Zepplin time is gone, saw the Plant/Page unplugged tour in 95(?), think that's as close as I'll get to seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

What hits does she have bar a couple of songs, she is nowhere near headlining status, she hasn't even sold out her Uk arena tour.

Gnr are legends.

Lizzo is a big artist, Grammy and Brit winner

So is Sam Smith ,look at the ticket sales for his upcoming tour, Brits and Grammy are utter trash.

Far better headliners this year than the dreck last year.

Snarky Snark Snark

Gnr are at best a two album band (when you remove the crud from both volumes from their magnum egoitus) trading on a reputation from over 30 years ago.

What have they produced in the last 20 years* in their stop start grab the money and run reunions?

Last year had Lamar (superb artist with solid track record of music), Eilish (the future) and an actual musical god.

*Yes, I'm ignoring Chinese Democracy, as everyone else should also (and I bought the **** thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

GnR aren't the problem. One of the biggest rock bands of all time. Haven't played before. All good.

Arctic Monkeys headling for the 3rd time is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was lucky to see Fleetwood Mac once back in 2015/2016??? and it was a fantastic gig especially having Christine back in the mix. As said they were to play Glasto (which Eavis has tried but mentioned their fee is too big)they would headline which is a no brainer.

Agree with the overall view that the line up isn't great, AM are boring live imo, GNR are on like their 3rd go of back to back UK tours and Elton John who is a legend seems to struggle singing these days(going by a few clips). Lizzo will probably headline Other Stage but she is definitely a future Pyramid headliner. Could QOTSA sub AM since they already did the other stage before, maybe Royal Blood to headline the Other Stage one of the nights?

I’ve no problem with the headliners though none are exciting bookings. Artics very popular but a very dull live band and it gets repetitive with repeat headliners as happened with Muse and Coldplay far too often.

And yes @scruff monkey the here acts in 2022 were far more varied and significant. I’m also uninterested in Taylor Swift but she’ll set the place alight in 2024.

Billie Eilish mimed most of her act, headliners shouldn't be doing that.

Why does this nonsense keep coming up? Same said about Dolly Parton and others by people who don’t seem to understand the slight delay from sound to camera.

Its not rubbish, I'm well aware of sync delays between audio and video.

Billie was largely lip syncing to a backing track.

Its widely know that Dolly Parton has been lip syncing for decades too.

People have compared the audio tracks from her concerts over many years and they are exactly the same.

Nonsense re Dolly at Glasto, it arose due to people not being ably to understand the synching. I was at the set and it was clearly not mimed , some small glitches in the performance clarified that.

Same re Billie, this is just guff that the truly gullible take in from random YouTube videos. Please provide something from an accredited journalistic or industry source if you want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

She's been singing that song for almost 50 years, I'm not surprised it often sounds the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hilarious nonsense. "I saw it on youtube so it must be true". This is why the world is going to sh!t, people have lost the ability to use their f*cking brains. I was in the crowd watching Billie she wasn't lip syncing.

Next you will be telling us that Britney Spears doesnt lip sync either.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Its obvious that Dolly is miming but I read a good article on it online years back where a few people ran multiple live songs of hers over the years through audio software and the songs were exactly the same, pitch perfect.

Thats science, they are recordings, less of the snarky remarks please.

Ive seen Dolly up close, few rows away in the Marquee and she was lip syncing, not very noticeable at first but there were occasions where it was obvious.

She sings some parts of songs live like Billie but its mostly backing tracks, no need for people to be defensive.

Definitely not miming when she was at EP either. This sort of gullibility is what led to Trump, Brexit, Bolsonaro, etc.

• Advertisement

So no accredited industry or journalistic course as requested?

No defensiveness from us here, just a low threshold for stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Can't understand how people are excited for Billie Eilish.

Marketing over merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I remember seeing (on TV) her performance on the Other Stage and it was amazing, she was a great performer and blew it out of the water. I was all for her being a headliner, but her headline performance was pretty flat, sadly

Her performance on the Other was nowhere near as good in person. Bit flat. The Beeb can work wonders.

The kids love her though. She's still only 21 which is mental.

Just looking back, that Sunday in 2019. Methodist Church Choir, Mavis Staples, Kylie, Good the Bad and the Queen, Little Simz, Billie Eilish, Kamazi Washington, Janelle Monae, The Cure. Value for cash right there.

Good at the Picnic but inessential. I think Bad Boys, Bury a Friend and the Bond theme are great tracks, a few other decent ones but 60 mins would be enough for me. Dragging along Johnny Marr or other guests would help.

That’s one hell of an eclectic and brilliant mix. All of them I’ve seen have been impressive, and hopefully I’ll get to see Washington sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

When did it become compulsory to have a female headliner? Did Glastonbury make a commitment to do so in the past few years or something? I went 10 years ago and the headliners were The Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys and Mumford and Sons. Not much chat about that lineup other than Mumford and Sons being completely shíte. I only went to see the Stones in the end, you could happily avoid the pyramid stage all weekend anyway.

It’s not, but given the proliferation of significant female acts it’s unusual when none are headliners. Glastonbury and Primavera Sound have admirably made a stance on this and both aim for as close to possible a 50/50 gender split. Easier for Glasto than a more indie-ish fest like PS.

Expect two of the three Somerset headliners to be female in 2024.

Madge and Taylor.

The problem with the 50/50 thing is that the music industry isn't split 50/50 male/female. There arent the same amount of suitable female acts as male acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's probably true. However yeah, it's gotta be Taylor for Saturday next time. Madonna though? Where to place her? Would have to be headline Sunday? And a British group/solo for Friday I suppose.

Advertisement