Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The OP just listed several festivals they’d been to. Your response was to compare fests, but in an odd way given you had no experience of the other. Akin to saying you prefer bananas to mangos though you’ve never had mangos.

And are you now saying these were not your words?

””Never been to Sziget, but EP doesn't hold a candle to it, especially what EP has become in the last 5 or so years.””

Yep, that’s truly appalling. A few good acts but you’d have to wade through a lot of crap to get there. Hopefully EP balances out the bad with the good.

Not many great lineups for 2023 after a poor 2022. Glasto uninspiring but will still be great. Primavera mixed but lots of class stuff. Maybe this is the trajectory for all, a mixture of the decent and the mediocre with the odd small scale brilliant outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Billie Eilish the future? more a Shakespear's Sister, Kasabian or Moby red hot for that space in time I'd say, seems more popular for her personality and age appropriate clothes it seems for which that window is almost slammed shut??

This diversity thing is rubbish when it comes to Glasto, they have been very dignified over the years when its come to this even in decades before the social media days all types of backgrounds very much represented when it came to headlining the Pyramid stage, it's actually around '97 funnily enough when BBC took the reigns on broadcasting it it's way to being the megafest it now is the scope is less so.

The pool of realistic headliners very rarely equals the pool of touring possibilities and these are indefinitely narrowed down again to suit commercial capability.

The thing is if these journalists moaning got an actual diverse top billing to suit their complaints say Paramore or Within Temptation (No female led rock band headlined since the Prentenders? discounting Florence Welsh of course), Barrington Levy (Reggae top billing since when?), Cradle of Filth (The British slot goes to the extreme metal exports) and Hans Zimmer in the legends slot they probably wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭crl84

OP listed two camping festivals (Sziget and EP) they'd been to in a post asking about Glastonbury.

I made some observations on Glastonbury, and then said that I'd never been to Sziget, but EP didn't hold a candle to it. "It" being Glastonbury. As that's the topic of discussion. I offered no analysis of Sziget, as I've never been, and don't care about it.

Post edited by crl84 on

I’d recommend you hire a better proofreader then. Or someone to help with sentence structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Phishwax

Seathrun sounds like the type of guy to CC management in an email. Yikes

I just have a severe distaste for whingers. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You do realise that there were effectively 3 years of concerts last summer due to Covid ???

Gigs from 2020 and 2021 rescheduled to 2022 plus the standard 2022 schedule.

It was a completely saturated schedule especially June.

Big deal if EP had less international acts, thats largely due to the promoters being cheap skates more than anything else.

Lots of those gigs were cancelled and many acts (particularly American) cancelled their previous plans for European tours and festivals - Taylor Swift, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

No busier last Summer than this or next will be.

And do you really think the acts booked at EP last year or this come cheaply? A thrice-headlining Glastonbury band the Arctic Monkeys, Picture This , Pixies, Megan Thee Stallion, Tame Impala, etc. None cheap.

Same with Billie Eilish, Lewis Capaldi, The Killers and others. Whatever your opinion of them, they charge top whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He does seem one of those or they send follow up emails if they don't get a reply in 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Glasters is incredible, but when the line up is a bit meh and its a mudhole you survive it more than enjoy it.

Thankfully the weather has been better in recent years, and the measures implemented re floodplains should ensure it never gets as bad again as 2005. It’s got to be done at some stage, though a lottery as you say @Wooderson.

2016 is what im on about. A serious bummer in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I loved 2016. Mudbath and a not so great lineup but still. Didnt rain during the day and temps were good.

30c can be a slog aswell. Especially with a cheap head on you from the night before. There hasnt been one Glasto where I havent been absolutely shattered ater though. Theres tired and then theres post Glasto tired.

I think the hottest years are more difficult to manage.

As for 2016? Muse/Adele/Coldplay the perfick soundtrack for the post-Brexit vote. Quite literally, muck.

Just looked up the lineup for 2016. Dull headliners but again loads of brilliant stuff. Beck, Baaba Maal, ELO, Mercury Rev, New Order, LCD Soundsystem, M83, Sigur Ros, Polly Jean, etc. It’s just ridiculous how much amazing stuff they get on what seems like a mediocre year.

I don’t remember the weather that year as not there. I can cope with the mud as long as the rain stops. 2011 was a mudfest very quickly after drizzle all day Fri but it was dry after that. Slow work getting around through heavy mud but an astonishing lineup ( Radiohead and Pulp as surprise guests, and several legends - BB King, Duane Eddy, Don McClean, Paul Simon, etc) and two sunny days made up for a lot.

The mud was fine, it didnt rain during the gigs and wasnt muddy where I camped. Wasnt too cold either. Great year for gigs. Although I admit to being on the booze in the Avalon Inn every day before noon.

ZZ Top, Rokia Traore, Damons Orchestra of Syrian Musicians, Ronnie Spector, Squeze, Madness, Adele, Car Seat headrest, Art Garfunkel, Coldplay, Beck, St Paul and the Broken Bones, Dakhabrakha, Kamasi Washington, Michael Kiwanaka, Patty Griffin.....

Few more in there. Decent weekend.

I never knew that Garfunkel played. They really do get people that nobody else does.

Caught St. Paul on the supporting bill for The Who at Hyde Park a few years ago. Blown away, great band and the lead’s voice was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hey Seathrun, Tim Burgess is doing a listening party session with the Kinks (Sunday 22:00 Irish/UK Time) (Absolute Radio Streaming), something might actually be stirring in Mordor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

Wow the kinks back together would be insane. You'd have to think they might have left it a bit too late at this point unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Imagine that happening. And also, imagine that happening and not being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Yeah, I’d think endainoz might have it right on them having left it too late, they could still record though

Dave Davies has had several serious health problems. Ray not great either so it’s unlikely but they may fancy giving it a go.

Amazingly they only broke up in 1996 so most of us would have had a chance to see them near the end.

They played here a good bit. My old man and my brother saw them in the stadium in the mid 90s.

Actually a very underrated album band. Have 3 or 4 great albums. But yeah cant see a tour at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Steve Earle is almost certainly playing Glasto. New U.K. & Irish dates. Bristol on the Thursday & London on the Sun. I reckon he’s headlining the Acoustic Stage on the Sat. The Sawdoctors are headlining it on the Fri. The latter an acquired taste but prob fun in that tent.

Richard Thompson will be back after being ill last year and undoubtedly Sharon Shannon who’s there almost every year. Their line ups in there is as good as the entire Cambridge Folk Fest weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The window to pay the ticket balance is open today and lasts for a week, just in case anyone needs reminding.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get my ticket posted to me? I think last year (possibly due to Brexit) SeeTickets weren't posting tickets to Ireland by default for the first time ever. I naively didn't get my ticket posted and ended up in a relatively small queue, which took about 2 hours to get through to collect my tickets at the box office, so I won't be making that mistake again this year. Is it just a matter of emailing SeeTickets and saying I want my ticket posted to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Acoustic always has a good irish vibe and a good fun vibe in general. Saw (Good) Christy Moore there a few years Ago and went to see The Bootleg Beatles there a couple of times (including when The Rolling Stones were playing)

Caught the Bootlegs last year. The tent was hopping. And I loved them but to opt for a tribute band over the Rolling Stones and Public Enemy is not a move I’d make. That was brilliant Glasto scheduling putting them up against Jagger & Richards.

• Advertisement

I emailed both See Tickets and Glastonbury after paying the balance last year. I pointed out that I’d paid for postage and package and they were legally obliged to get the ticket to me. I used some other legal language and persuasive arguments so they agreed to send them out.

Once they’d stated that there was a precedent set so I pushed pals to do the same and posted details here. I may even have copied-and-pasted my mail. Worked for me and anyone else who contacted them. Just not worth the grief of being sent off in different directions (by staff who were t aware of the set-up as happened to a couple of people here) and then having to queue for ages. The arrival day is tough enough as it is.

Just point out that they posted to Ireland last year. Best of luck.

Advertisement