Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

I had a similar terrible experience up north recently. Again, none of the fast chargers I tried would work. Managed to make it home by driving at 80MPH on the motorway. Took it into the garage and they said, "Well, it's working fine on our fast charger." So they did nothing. Worked for me too on an EasyGo at the local Lidl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So you made it home by speeding. Maybe if you had of drove whitin the speed limit and more economically you would have made it home too. How much battery had you left when you got home?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dsandson

The MG4 wont work with BP Pulse chargers (the ones with the integrated battery - currently all of them). An EVANI member tried to work out what was happening and found all MG4s wont charge on them. BP Pulse told them they had looked into it with MG previously and that it was an issue with the MG4's charge port software.

However even the local MG dealership in Derry couldnt get MG to accept that there was a problem. The guy even tried the new X-Power trim and it wouldnt work either.

If you travel to the North use Weev, EasyGo or ESB for DC charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

Oops! I should have said "80Kph". Too much time spent up north, I guess!

To answer your question, I got home with about 10%. Driving at 80Kph made an enormous difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

EasyGo didn't work for me either - got a high voltage fault and it tripped the charger after 4 minutes, 3 times in a row. At least if I can get that fixed it would give me options. Pity about the BP ones as it worked fine with my Corsa-e. Will try again after the S/W update the next time I'm up but not a great outcome to moving to a new car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭tlaavtech

Looking at posibly getting an MG4 at some stage next year. Biggest worry from looking at reviews is the "agressive" lane assist and numerous "binging" warnings. What are the owners experiences with them? Are they as bad as the reviews would have me believe?

Can the shortcut buttons on the steering wheel be programmed to disable the driver assist so that I don't have to go through the menus to disable for short journeys every time I get into the car?!

Alternatively is there a OBDII app (LeafSpy equivalent) that can set the default to "off"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Still my biggest bug bear with the car, but not as bad as made out. When I 1st got the MG4 the Lane keep was very, very agressive, and it was recalled quickly and now I'd only describe it as agressive but copeable - I'm used to it and unlike at 1st doesn't actually try throw you into another lane, now just strongly hints at it, which is annoying but as a safety feature probably what is needed. And yes it beeps everytime it does this - but again, I'm used to it.

A steering wheel button can be programmed to bring up driving modes to car, but after that you still have to have use screen to turn off - and do this everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Just get used to turning it off every time you get in the car. It's literally tried to kill me on multiple occasions. The other day it tried to steer me into a concrete wall for no reason I could fathom.

I've tried it on the alert setting, but it still bings and vibrates the steering wheel endlessly when it's sunny. It's not fit for purpose and driving with it on is dangerous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

If you're a fan I'd buy sooner rather than later ! They're realistically obtainable for the most of us , however Verstager under German duress is investigating Chinese "dumping " of EV's , so tariffs are on the way !

Got some software updates done on Friday so hope to try NI again this weekend - the same chargers, and see how I get on....will bring my type 2 cable this time just in case!

Land Keep assist does nag and nudge but am getting used to it

No sign of any more purchase incentives - seem to have expired after 14th October, assume they will do more next year so if buying keep an eye out - this years ran from mid august to mid October so wait a month or two after new license plates kick in or so what trade in deal you can get to max your value!

Very enjoyable to drive - stock tyres in wet conditions worrying me a little bit though....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What version is your infotainment running now? R46? Have been holding off getting it updated until that was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I turn TLA off when I drive. My wife doesn't and whilst she doesn't like it, it's not terrible - more of an annoyance than anything. It's fine on good roads but I tend to drive back roads and if those back roads are marked, then it gets very annoying. You can't set it on the steering wheel shortcuts so you have to go through the main menu, but once you get into the habit, it's fine - no different to putting your seat belt on.

Overall, very impressed with it and it's a great car. The boot space could be bigger but that's just my preference. I haven't charged it on a fast charger yet and all charging has been done at home, so I can't comment about any potential issues. I really should fast-charge it just to know how and ensure I have the right apps etc. However, I bought the car with the aim of only charging at home and it hasn't disappointed me as it has saved me around €240 per month - I was paying around €260 on diesel before the excise went up, and I have been mostly charging off my solar PV.

I've an Excite so I'm on R21 (MCU is 69.3.5.0). Executive gets R46. One advantage of Excite is less bugs!!

No joy with latest software on MG4. Same issue with BP Polar and that EasyGo 50kW charger in Lidl. I think it's just that charger though - went to another not far away, also Tritium but different "brand" and it worked fine - 50kW also! Unfortunately the Dromore eCars charger was down for the day. Got home with 7% but was a door a door journey, my first in 3 years! So have alternatives for M1 trip but not made any easier by car incompatibilities. My previous eCorsa had no issues with both of these chargers before but had less range for this type of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

if MG could write or even test software it would be a great car. But they cant and its becoming more obvious all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Have anybody bought a fitted rubber boot mat for the MG4? Ideally not coming from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We've had our MG4 since May and overall we are very happy with it. We drive 140km round trip 4 or 5 days per week to work. We are almost at 20k kms already.

We turn the lane assist off every time now before we start driving as it pushed us out in front of oncoming traffic a few times for no fathomable reason. I also turn it onto ECO driving mode to ground the back a bit more as I find it a bit slippy in wet conditions. I found it to be very slippy going around corners as well. We had one fish tailing experience when driving around a corner, on a damp road at around 35kmph which was quite scary. I've since read that a lot of this is typical of rear wheel driving.

My question for other owners is have you changed your tyres to winter ones and if so which type? Owners on UK forums said they did change to winter tyres if they lived in rural areas. We live rurally and we would often have icey roads from November to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭DrPsychia

It's not unreasonable to investigate such allegations. Cars made in regions with lower levels of income, poor workers rights, better manufacturing resources, less social protection, and with an abundance of rare earth elements are going to be cheaper than those made elsewhere. If the CCP are subsidising this advantage to crush competition then the EU have vested interests to protect domestic industry by imposing means necessary. If Chinese car manufacturers want to setup manufacturing facilities in Europe and bring their manufacturing prowess to produce cheaper cars while abiding by EU law then they're most welcome to.

We can't have our cake and eat it. We all complain about how cars manufactured in Europe generally offer worse value for money compared to foreign brands but there are genuine reasons for it outside of pure greed and profiteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sh81722

It could be just poor tyres fitted originally, i.e. ones with poor traction in wet conditions. Michelin CrossClimate or some other all weather tyre like Nokian Weatherproof or Vredestein Quatrac are great for Irish winter conditions and work rather well in cool rainy summers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another thumbs up for Crossclimates, much grippier in slippy, damp conditions than the original Michelin energy savers. Also with the added advantage of better grip and braking in low temperatures and being able to drive in snow without slipping and sliding all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

Does the lfp battery require balancing or what's the advice offered by MG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

As far as I'm aware the car will automatically balance the battery every time it's charged to 100%, and charging to 100% every time is recommended for the LFP battery anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Anyone having issues with the MG iSmart app in the last couple of days?

Was wondering alright, couldn't defrost car this morning. Ended up scraping window like a common peasant again.

App just didn't want to talk to car - remote control kept failing - but could access location etc ok. When I was in car, I noticed it updated ok and could read what car's battery was at etc

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Yep, car defrosted ok.

Seen mention on MG forums that it could be MGs servers aren't great. I wonder if the cold spell that's hitting Europe now is stressing their servers as everyone wakes up, logs in and tries to defrost car😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

Pricing announced for both the new MG4 X Power and the new MG4 extended range, (exclusive trim only)

both are €42,995 + delivery & metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Fair play to them, a decent looking, nice spec car with proper performance for a normal price.

0-60 in 3.8 seconds, the question is how does it drive? EVs tend to focus on pure acceleration and lack in the handling department. Being a cheaper brand I'd say the suspension quality or brakes might not be up to par. At that price though I'm sure you'd forget about it quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,862 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

The long range needs to be cheaper IMO, with only ~1K between it and the RWD BYD Seal, you'd be mad not to go with the more premium, longer range, larger interior, and LFP battery Seal, unless you absolutely desperately need a hatchback opening for some reason.

The XPower is a bit more favourable at ~7k cheaper than the AWD Seal, but I think it's still going to find the competition stiff at that price, with the Volvo EX30 coming along too.

My mam has an MG4 herself as it was (and still is) great value when she got it at the start of this year. Pretty amazing how much the market has changed in just 11 months!

Advertisement