Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irishgamer01

Its 1 August,

Got my new MG4 just over 24 hrs ago. major issue, see video,

Search for Irishgamer01 or MG4 Ireland. on the tube

(They wouldn't allow me to paste link)

Don't purchase. This is head wrecking. Dealer (Linders) claims this is a Feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Whats the white one? Is it an exclusive too and if so how come it has different alloys to the grey Exclusive model that seems to have nicer alloys?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭crl84

White is an Exclusive too.

There was a slight facelift within the last month or so (MY22/Phase1 vs. MY23/Phase23)

Newer model has the rear wiper, 18" wheels instead of 17", different aero wheel covers, internal grab handles, and a rear middle headrest.

White is a MY22/Phase1 Exclusive. Grey is MY23/Phase2.

Those are aero covers (ie hubcaps) on all cars. The actual alloys are underneath, and are pretty basic.

I'll probably get new proper alloys later in the year. Loved these ones that someone posted on facebook from a demo model at Frank Keane:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe very good. There was a lovely blue one in the shopping centre near me yesterday. Its a lovely blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

Specs seem to be a mixed up at the moment, here is a SR without rear tint and no rear wiper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Hardly a reason not to buy.

I plug my phone in via USB and use android auto and the messages come up - I can mute them easily there. Alternatively, disconnect your Bluetooth from the car and then you won't have that issue. Seems like you need to play around with it and get used to everything. I have mine for nearly a month and I'm still finding things out, but it's a great car.

Regarding volume control, you can turn the volume down using the 2 buttons under the large screen, or by toggling up and down on the right-hand square raised button on the steering wheel.

There is a guy on YT that has a load of comprehensive tutorials on the MG4 - I recommend you look him up: https://www.youtube.com/@BurlSolomons/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Wait til you try the LKA, or setting the temperature to 20c :)

I had a loan of my neighbours MG4 when they were on holidays a couple of months ago. I hated the driver aids and all the bugs and even the interface on it.

My sister got the new model MG4 a couple of weeks ago and ive had it for the last week while she was on holidays. While the LKA is still annoying its like a whole different car than the older model. If you have a choice between the old model and the newer one make sure you get the newer one. The older ones are awful build and software quality compared to the newer ones. The difference is night and day. Just stay away from the older models and go for the newer ones. You'll be able to tell by the ones with a rear wiper. Also the infotainment is not as buggy and much snappier and pleasant to use.

Most of that has nothing to do with the models.

The infotainment/software can (and should be) updated to the same level on both the old/new models at the dealer when it's being sold. R46 is the latest version, which can be applied to both models going out the door today.

The ELKA on MY22 models from software version R30 onwards is no different to the very first version that came on the new MY23 models (R40).

The interface is exactly the same on both models, the difference is infotainment version, and even then the only visually different screen is the AC control screen.

Your neighbours infotainment can be updated to the same as your sisters, and almost certainly will be next time it's in for a service. Or they can ring up and get it booked in to update to the same as your sisters if there's a particular bug on their version that warrants it.

New MY23 model came direct from factory with R40 for almost all that have come into Ireland recently. Have yet to see any factory fresh ones with R46 installed. By contrast, there's several people online with both the older and newer models that now have R46 as they've had the car in to the dealer for updates in the last two weeks. Any sold during that time should have had R46 applied by the dealer during pre-customer delivery checks.

No the ride in the two cars are completely different. The LKA is completely different. All the niggles and pith things in the original MG4 are practically gone in the new one. You would have to spend a few days driving both to see what I mean.

If I were going to buy a second hand MG4 I would avoid the original model like the plague. The newer model would be perfect though.

The infotainment is not even the deal breaker for me. They just drive like night and day.

I've driven both, and they are EXACTLY the same. Maybe the two cars were in different driving modes, because there are no differences between suspension, handling etc on the two models. All changes are cosmetic

The differences between models are:

Both trims:

Rear wiper added

Internal grab handles added

Middle rear headrest added

True one-pedal driving mode added

Exclusive Trim only:

18" wheels vs. 17" wheels, plus different aero covers

Two-tone roof discontinued

This info is all widely available from both dealers and across various forums. There is no change in driving/handling etc. The LKA module is 100% the same on both models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

But why would you disconnect your Bluetooth if you'd want Bluetooth connectivity for calls and messages? A car shouldn't be switching the radio off because you got a text. That's just silly.

They drive differently. If you dont notice the difference then you havent driven them any length of time. The LKA is not 100% the same on both models. I specifically tested this. It is total sh!t on the old model. It is much softer and better on the newer model.

Anyway I think anyone who settles for an original model at this point is throwing their money away. Wont be too long til you can compare what they fetch second hand and im willing to bet that the older model will be shunned by anyone who looks it up. The original model was rushed out with lots of faults. They were more careful with the newer one. Theres only one reason a new model comes out a few months after another. To bury the mistakes of the original.

My advice to anyone buying a new MG4. Do not, under any circumstances let them pass off the older model to you. If necessary take both of them out for a good drive in the forecourt to see. You wont want the older model after doing that.

I got a go of the newer model again today and it doesnt disconnect the radio when i get a text message. I was specifically looking out for that. Id bring it back to the dealer you and insist they let you check this out in another car they have on the lot. If it doesnt happen on that one you can throw their lies in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

568 sales in July, number 1 ev on 232 plates so far.

Obviously they held off a lot of sales til then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wasn't there a lot of stock delays? I don't think they're pulling a Tesla and only shipping quarterly.

Numbers are looking good, 805 sold so far this year and 5th place in sales by model. Considering how many people are already driving small EVs it goes to show how many were waiting for something affordable. It's a shame the grant wasn't kept in place for small cars as a lot of them are still expensive. The e208 is €33,500/Corsa-e €34,500 as they're only available in 50kWh but bigger cars such as the Kona or Leaf are similar price as they're 39/40kWh.

The grant still is in place for them, only slightly reduced by 1,500 - no?

I think the MG4 is showing the demand for a reasonably priced, proper Focus/Golf sized car though. The Fiat 500/Corsa/208 are all really the same car under their skins - and really don't show off much EV for their price. They are all front wheel drive, weak enough powered small cars.

The lack of sales show that as cute as the Honda e is, people are not willing to fork out that money on a short ranged quirky thing. Ditto the BMW i3 - I loved my one for years, but bought a cheap 2nd hand import.

At the same price as most of the above, a 210 bhp rwd 5 door hatch, with decent width and space and great handling has hit the Irish markets sweet spot - excluding our crossover love in. But in the lack of a Focus anymore, and similar in price to a Golf (but almost 10k less than id3) it's looking to be a good seller

As DaveyDave says, it was more to do with stock delays. Two ships full arrived in June. Another one was due at the end of July. Based on what I've read online, there were only three shipments before that, one at the end of December, and two more in Jan-May.

Dealers would have held off registering most of those end-of-June ones until July, but it was only really about a week's waiting, and I'd imagine most dealers of other models would do the same in the final couple of weeks of each half-year end, to get the newer reg plate for the customer.

Agree on the desire for a "reasonably" priced electric hatchback. I've come from owning a Focus, Astra and Golf before that, and have no need for an SUV sized EV (nor do I have the money!), so the MG4 suited me perfectly. Looked at the ID3/Born, but not even remotely worth the extra 10k IMO. There's certainly a market for EVs the size of the MG4, and as you've said, the likes of Honda-E, e-208, 500 electric are too small/impractical/under-specced for a lot of people.

Oh I as much admit that, and mentioned same earlier in thread when I wondered if they were deliberately targeting July a few months ago.

Still even in UK it's 2nd biggest seller after model Y, at 5,200 for 2023 (90% certain I read that)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aaronder

LKA is down to software updates, they absolutely 100% drive the same. Not sure how you're having difficulty with this one...

Drove the old version again at the weekend. They drive differently. The build quality is like night and day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nothing has changed except cosmeticly. And software. Anything else is in your head.

Ok, lets agree to disagree. As someone who has switched between the two a few times in the last few weeks I have noticed the dive is better in the newer one, the build quality is better. There is no trace at all of the bent under tray. In the older one I had a look the other day and its starting to bend now. The touchscreen is far more responsive. The display dims properly in the newer one. On the older one it doesnt even if you have both displays at the lowest brightness.

I sold my car about 6 months and get to borrow one or other of these when needed, but if I were to buy either of these now I would avoid the older model. Its like they fixed some (not all) of their shoddy woirk in the original model. Clearly they got feedback and slightly changed the design for the better (i would have left the center headrest out, but its easy to take off and throw in the cupboard). Everything else is a marked improvement. They have clearly retooled as well as their build is improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Quick question:

Family member has had their car stolen and looking to buy a new car quickly.

Does the MG4 still have big wait times or are they available in stock?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

I spoke to a dealer there that claimed to have some stock and that MG were giving a €2k discount at the moment.

He was offering (including this discount):

excite long range black or white = 33,345

exclusive in blue = 36,845

Does this seem right? Seems more expensive than I thought with "discount"?

Grant has dropped and MG put up prices this year, so discount brings it back to what it was.

I paid 36.5 for my exclusive in January- base colour, negotiated a bit on the dealer delivery charges

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Seems to be a few exclusive around but excite LR are harder to come by - I've been told there's a 2 week wait for NVD transport / software updates & prep for mine but ring around dealers and if you're prepared to ferry you could pick up quicker. But yes, supply a LOT better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Do you mean blue or white? They seem to be the stock colours with black, grey and red costing €700 more.

FWIW, I paid €33,345 for my Grey excite long range in Feb. This included bridging insurance and the ceramic coating inside and outside. I could have paid less without the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Have my mg4 excite lr for about a month now - happy so far but still finding out things about it-

Is it my imagination or is the fastest wiper speed kind of slow?

I haven't driven in torrential rain yet but it seems to me that the wipers may have a hard time keeping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This power restriction you experienced can be fixed with a SW update, contact your dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Advertisement