Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Don't know if others were having this problem - but on my Exclusive I found the dipped lights terrible. Aimed way, way, way too low so that there was an incredibly bright patch of road lit up close to car but rest of road was too dark to see.

Looked up how to adjust and after a few simple turns of 2 screws now have the 2 dipped throwing light much further and it was perfect to drive with today.

Looks like Exclusive spec light have 4 different screws that can adjust height and side throw of dipped and full beam undependently, while excite has a single unit front light that all gets adjusted together.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

Mine seem OK, but first time having LED lights, and they seem more "focused" at a point, than lights on previous cars, which gave more of a spread of light.

Is the location of the screws in the manual?

Your issue is something the dealer probably should have checked during PDI.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Throw up a picture of what you adjusted please @Patser. Might do the same. Mine are a bit low.

Pretty much best explained here

And again, it really has made a difference to to the lights. I had to turn to screw best of 4 full times each to get lights to a decent level, they were way too short. Leave car on, facing a wall and adjust lights to a higher level that's still below bonnet level it my suggestion

Just to add the Number 2 screw shown in that image is the one you want, and the easiest most obvious screw to get to. Made of white pastic, a little delicate so dont use too much force

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fospheny

Really unsure what to do - quite like the MG, and have a 172 Ioniq to trade in. Had intended to drive the Inoiq into the ground (when I got it), but now wondering if I should trade it in and capture and residual value in it. Was hoping to get 20 thousand as the price to swop (for the extended range basic trim version of the MG) but is generally coming out at 22/23.

Would people trade in now, or keeping the Ioniq into the ground? The Ioniq battery is holding up quite well, but not sure how long that would last, as it is starting to get on a bit (and the extra bit of range would be welcome)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Has anyone had their first service yet and if so how much did it cost? I am booking ours in for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fuzzball1

Hi I recntly purchased a MG4 trophy form belfast .

March reg , import inspection this thursday

Just wondering on the mileage as i have just past 6000 km. It was around 5k when i received .

Concerned that I will be liable for VAT. Question is whether the mileage is base don mileage at time of sale or mileage on inspection date

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

Does the warranty pass over to the south?

Also why does mileage matter to if you have to pay vat? I thought you didn't have to pay vat and duty as long as it was first registered in northern Ireland and not mainland UK. Or am I missing some info on that?

if revenue see car as new they charge vat.

car is seen as new if 6 months old or less or 6km or less

it’s on citizen Ireland website

VAT

If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. For example:

• Vehicle is 5 months old with 8,000km - chargeable to VAT
    • Vehicle is 7 months old with 5,000km - chargeable to VAT
    • Vehicle is 7 months old with 8,000km - not chargeable to VAT

The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.

Warranty is worldwide . Mileage is slightly less but years are the same

The UK warranty is covered here but it is slightly lower mileage cover. 

EU warranty 7years 150000km. 

UK 7 years 80,000miles(128747km) as of 01/09/2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

That is for the info. Another question. Is the lane assist thing an issue in Ireland? Does it have to be turned off every time you get in the car?

Yes, Euro NCAAP regulations on all vehicles submitted for testing since last summer require it to be turned on each time a car turns on, as part of receiving a full 5 star safety rating.

ELKA module has an update available since around June to make it less aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

I test drove the MG4 recently and didn't notice any issues with the Lane Keep Assist enabled - short drive though.

I absolutely loved the car form the second I sat into it and think I will be placing an order next year.

I am coming from a Mk7.5 Golf and found the MG to be equally as refined, if not better than the Golf.

The doors are very heavy and overall it feels very well put together and seems like it would last the test of time.

I was very impressed with the power delivery too, it really moves if you put your foot down, but smoothly.

The interior is the only slight let down, it felt a bit cheaper compared to the Golf, but I am ok with that. I sat into an ID3 and thought the same. I found the infotainment to be ok, but I only had a small play around with it on the drive.

I think the only thing I will really miss is the lumbar support, but a lot of people wouldn't even notice this. I would have preferred wireless apple car play too.

For the last one, you can get USB dongles for about €70 that will do CarPlay/Android Auto wirelessly from your phone. Not ideal, but the USB port for AA/Carplay is in underneath the gear selector shelf thing, so the dongle would be hidden out of the way all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

Ours stopped working today, a 12v battery issue, had to have it transported back to the dealer, is this a common issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

has anyone gotten a software update that makes the speed limit detection in KM instead of miles? Dealer said there's no update for that yet

Yes, I had mine in to Linders at the start of December for an update to fix the Bluetooth unpairing issue, and when it came back, it's recognising Irish km signs now.

Whether or not they actually realise that that is available/updated is another matter....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did they give you R46 with the new Climate Control layout?

No, and the Bluetooth pairing issue wasn't fixed (as it seems to be for others with R46), so I'll be telling them that it's not fixed and see if they upgrade the Infotainment version then. I half guessed when I collected the car and it was still on R33 that it wouldn't have been sorted....

The issue doesn't actually bother me really, just that I was dropping it over for something else and thought I'd mention the Bluetooth as a way of getting the Infotainment up to the latest version. I saw on mgevs forum that some cars in France have started getting OTA updates now, so maybe later this year they'll start rolling those out here.

The main reason I had it over to them was because the front right LED indicator developed a fault (flashing twice the speed, as if a blown bulb somewhere), and they couldn't fix it, so waiting for a replacement indicator unit, due to be fitted next week.

Did we ever get an answer to this? How much, what is actually serviced, or is it just a way to get all the updates installed?

• Advertisement

I think the first models only went out to the first customers here in Ireland around this time last year, so can't imagine there's too many that have been in for one yet?

There's a thread on mgevs with plenty of UK reports:

€179 in Linders. What are FK charging @Patser ?

Tempted to pay it as I want to get all the updates done.

Includes the 1yr extension of AA breakdown cover, so probably worth it.

Haven't asked yet, and that's why I was trying to see what others were getting.

I remember when I had BMW i3, Frank Keane charged something like €270 for a service - only every 2 years - and justified it by saying only qualified i technicians could service it; but considering EVs don't really need a service, not in the old traditional Oil/Filters/Sparks way and instead it just a cursary mechinical/bodywork inspection it really should be dirt cheap - also the 'updates' are really just fixes for issues that shouldn't be there. So all that really leaves as value is a stamp in a book saying 'Main Delaer serviced' for when you sell it on.

Hilarious thought reading those UK reports clr84 linked to, where someone was charged £1 for 'parts' - that part being a washing tablet into screenwash tank😁

179 on Linders. Frank Keane didn't even respond to an online request or reply to messages left to try and arrange a date. I don't know what they did for that price, they told me yesterday that there were no updates due. I really feel its money for old rope. We'll do more than 24k km per year so we'll probably have to get the service done again in 2024.

I didn't know we had AA membership with MG. I pay for that myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yep, free AA if you keep it serviced annually. They didn't mention this when buying and I had to email them for confirmation. There is a special number to ring if you need assistance: 01 617 9075

Mine has this sticker on the top of the windscreen.

Full details here:

Our roadside assistance package will cover the vehicle for the Republic of Ireland (including Homestart, Roadside Assistance, Recovery and Onward Mobility cover). It’s a comprehensive package to offer you reassurance and peace of mind. You can download the full terms and conditions.

https://nd-mediagallery2-public-production.s3.amazonaws.com/f634b57b75292b13d81222bbb34e01f0/mg_ts_cs_roi_roadside_assistance.pdf

that's interesting. we have no sticker on our car. we have a 2nd car so I've insurance for both mu husband and I.

New issue, some f&%ker put a dent in our back door probably opening their own door. Does anyone have experience of what to do and how much it would cost? They gave it a good whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

We're still without ours, they said they can't login to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,097 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Does anyone have an issue with the Bluetooth connection to their phone?

The phone is a new Samsung so I'd imagine that's not the problem.

To clarify, the issue is that anyone speaking comes through on the other end sounding like a droid from a star wars movie.

Advertisement