Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG 4

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nice to see another family hatch on the market. There's starting to be some real choice in the segment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

A good looker as well, to be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The back and side is lovely but not sure about the front, it looks a bit pointy or something.

It'll be interesting to see what it's priced at. Will it make €30K after grants? If it is there'll be a massive wait list on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes there has been at least 3 launched in the last two days alone from Hyundai, Citroen and MG.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see the new MG 4 has launched in the UK with prices starting at £25,995 for the base SE model

MG4 SE - £25,995

MG4 SE Long Range - £28,495

MG4 Trophy Long Range - £31,495

Looks very interesting. I was half considering a ZS EV face lift but for me the exterior styling is a bit meh. This looks a lot better.

• Advertisement
    Ms

It's certainly not boring. A pity there is not more MG dealers in this Country

Even Daewoo had more dealers when they were here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes, not that many dealers, but there's two in Dublin and one each in Galway, Limerick and Cork so the ones that are there are in the major population centres. No doubt if the brand grows there may be more in time.

Out of interest, of the two Dublin based dealers, Frank Keane and Linders, which of them would be the best to deal with? For me in N. Wicklow neither are ideal to be honest but if anyone has any experience of either it'd be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Certainly gonna raise a few Euro manufacturers eyebrows!

Which is a good thing, would consider this car if I were in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'd like to see it in the flesh as I am in two minds about the front of it but could be a contender if it is priced right. The MG range seems to offer good value for money right now so if this fits in just below the MG5 in price (close to €30k) then I think it will sell well.

Ms

Would you consider a Ssangyong? It's not out yet here bit the Korando e-Motion is due here next year sometime.

Ssangyong have a lot more dealers here too.

No harm Going to you local dealer and enquiring about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

But that is an SUV and it's not very nice at all or does it look to be very will priced either. Thats a hard pass from me and there's a dealer close to me.

MG is an hour away.

Ms

Your choice. Ye it's not as cheap as it should be but it's a very spacious SUV.

Still no harm in trying out a petrol one do and enquiring about the electric one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's in a different size class to the MG though. Currently I drive a Kia niro, and this thing is not only Sportage sized, but wouldn't win any beauty contests either. It isn't all about price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The old Leaf is a lot nicer looking than that. And that's saying something 🤣 (as a current owner of 2 of em)

Stay Free

I just read over on SpeakEV that later on there's also going to be an Extended range model with a 77kwh battery, capable of up to 329 miles (529 km).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Am I correct in saying the UK have removed all their grants for new EVs? So the £26k that's mentioned above could easily translate to €26k over here with the grants?

It'll be more like €32k after grants here, if it arrives.

VAT, VRT and the Ireland factor indeed. Even the MG ZS has gone up in price to almost €40k at this stage.

Still a good looking car and a value proposition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think it will be well within the 25 to 30k mark.

• Advertisement

According to mg.ie the ZS EV Excite is €34,4952 and the Exclusive is €37,4952, on the UK site they have more trim levels and range from £29,495 (€35k) to £34,495 (41k) which is fairly close to parity so I see no reason why the 4 wouldn't follow this trend

I presume the Irish figures include grants while the British ones don't

You still have to pay for metallic paint and the usual delivery charges so the Exclusive comes very close to €40k. There are dealers advertising MGs well above the price on the website (one place is advertising Excite models for €38k and delivery some time in 2023). That is why I believe the MG4 will not be got for less than €32k, if it ever arrives here and I wouldn't be surprised if it even tips into €35k.

Ms

So it has been getting great reviews so far. Good to see. Just a pity the interior is so dark.

it's also a very decent drive according to them too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

good luck getting an MG in the next 12 months - taximen have all the MG5s and MG Ireland have no clue whatsoever when they are getting more. not sure who is worse MG or Skoda...........

If u want a MG4 then get in line with your fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is the MG4 order book even opened up for Ireland yet???????.

It isn't even listed on their website and no Irish prices have been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Indeed.

But the poster was talking of get in line and cross fingers.

But I'm not aware of a line to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

It’s priced between £25,995 for the 51kWh standard range model with up to 217 miles of WLTP ability, up to the £31,495 Trophy with a bigger 64kWh battery. Test car - an SE with the big battery - can manage 281 miles on a full charge. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The press are getting their hands on it this week and next so expect lots more reviews.

This from top gear

"an equivalent VW ID.3 costing over £36k, a Long Range SE MG4 at £28,495 (with more kit and arguably a nicer drive) is only limited by badge-snobbery.

As well as the ID.3, you’ve got the Peugeot e-208 and Vauxhall Corsa-e Stellantis siblings, plus the Renault Zoe (or maybe the Megane E-Tech Electric), Mini Electric, Honda e, Nissan Leaf and (recently deceased) BMW i3 in the small electric car segment. The MG4 has found a niche among that lot and exploited it brilliantly.

WHAT'S THE VERDICT?

“When you dig into what the MG4 does for the money, it's probably the only car in the class to recommend”

• Advertisement

Looks better in the video than any of the pictures I have seen. If MG can get these in any reasonable quantity into Ireland then it will sell well for sure. What with VW and most of the other manufacturers being unable to get stock on the ground, MG could well be close to the top of the sales charts for a while next year.

Advertisement