Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

New MG dealership to open in Enniscorthy in Wexford. Works have started on the old VW showroom where they'll be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭crl84

The benefits of gentle driving 😂

Round trip to Belfast this morning, 393km and still 19% left.

Stuck it in cruise control of 90km/h on the motorway, had some traffic coming into Belfast so a bit slower there as well as through the city, and slow on the M50/M4 home reducing the average speed further. Had the aircon on all the way.

Have done the trip 3 times now and last 2 times just did a quick charge on the M1, but thought I'd test the range a little as I've never had it below 25% since buying.

I doubt it would actually get to 498km as the G-O-M suggests, but would certainly expect the WLTP of 435KM to be well beaten....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

New promotion until October 14th:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Just enquired about one myself. 41k on the road including all dealer charges, does that sound about right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For which model? They are discounting the range until the 14th of October according to the post above yours. If you are going for the Exclusive trim with a standard paint colour, then it looks like they are adding 5k in dealer charges to your order!!!! When I ordered one in December, the dealer charges were less than 1k. Here is where the offer is listed on the MG Website: Autumn Offer (mg.ie), perhaps point your dealer to this and ask them to re-evaluate their price.

The offer does not apply if you are going with their Finance offerings BTW, so that may be why they have quoted you 41k. At that rate, I would be looking to finance it independently of MG and work the deal like a cash sale to get the discount.

• Advertisement

Ya I was thinking that, I'm going to query it with them again and even with another dealer for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Very few people will be buying in cash. How generous of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Signed up for an MG4 a month ago, turned down their finance as I had Credit Union loan lined up, immediately offered 2K discount which I thought was odd, not told about it beforehand or previous week when browsing. That it only applies if you DON'T use their financing here confirms my suspicions. Did find it when I went looking on the main MG Ireland website but nothing about it on the local garage website at all.

Got 18K trade in for 3 year old EV, would have gotten 20K if going for other brands they offer in that garage, told it was because I was going for MG. Did try to sell my old EV on DoneDeal but got zero enquiries, but what do you do! Very Happy with MG4 now SE long range trim. R21 Software which seems to be stable. Spare spare saver Tyre purchased just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Anyone have young kids? Can it comfortably fit pram, car seat etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once you arrange your finance elsewhere (bank, credit Union etc) you are then a cash buyer to the dealer. Easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Have we any idea on when the Extended Range (not the Long Range model) with the 77kWh battery is coming into Ireland? It has a guide of about 520km, which if 450km in real life is beginning to suit nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Was talking to a sales guy a couple of weeks ago and was under the impression that they will have pricing etc by the end of September. Possibly a demo in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Excellent, thanks. Likely won't be buying until mid 2024 or 2025 even, but the MGs really are the first EVs that are beginning to fit the bill for me. Decent range and not outrageous pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jocombo

Yeah, I do. We have two car seats in the back, with isofixes which fit comfortably. The pram is in the boot (alongside the chargers for now) but wouldn't fit much more in there without being organised. It's a great car for the price range

Hey all!

Sooooo my new MG4 was delivered a while ago loving it so far! , ive binded the car to the app though and its not showing up, does it take a while to appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Can't really remember, but think it was fairly quick for me.....not delayed long enough for me to worry about it anyway.

Welcome to the club..... one of us! one of us! one of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depends on pram and car seat. It's a medium size car, many "family" cars would be bigger.

Examples if you are tall and you have a 360 degree rotating car seat then you may not have room for driver and car seat directly behind. If kids are older the front facing or booster seats may be ok.

Boot is not small but if you have double buggy and want to bring 2 or 3 suitcases away for a weekend it may not be big enough or you may need to remove wheels from buggy.

The only real way to know is to bring actual car seats to the dealer and adjust driver's seat to normal position. I have done just that in the past. We went to a used dealer and tested 2 different brand of cars one after another and ruled out the smaller one as 360 rotating seats and driver would not fit.

It's definitely not a small car, one thing to share is your current car and we might be able to say if bigger or smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Thanks!

My first child isn't due until January so I'm clueless! Current car is a Ford Focus but we'll be buying a second car as opposed to replacing it. Trying to decide whether to get a bigger car or not. For one child, I'd imagine it'll be fine. And the focus will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years anyway, so by the time a second child arrives.

Hey all, back again, absolutely loving the car, got the app sorted! Global data wasn't turned on.

Question about charging, any truth to not charging over 80% all the time to preserve battery ? I've access to free charge and would like to use it :)

It's one of those things that is debated around NMC batteries in many EVs. Unless you're regularly charging over 80% on rapid DC chargers, I wouldn't really worry tbh.

If you're charging to 100% using an AC charger, I'd say a car will have been replaced/scrapped long before any noticeable issues with the battery life are apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

As above - it's 'recommended' but if you're using a home charger unlikely to have much of an impact until the very long term.

One thing though, there is still a glitch if you try to preheat car when fully charged to whatever level you set. You turn on heating, car turns on charger, goes Oh I'm full, turns everything off. The work around is to either have car unplugged or start car charging to a higher level (as in charge to 90%, then select 100% to charge to) and then turn on preheat. If you charge to 100%, you don't have that buffer to preheat.

Cheers all, i should be good on the preheart. ive only had it a few days but id say ill only be charging twice a week most weeks if even. I charged to 100% Friday and im only at 70% now :P two days of commuting coming up but ill top up at the office tomorrow and that should see me needing a top up on the home charger the weekend

massively impressed by the car so far, first time in heavy traffic this evening with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alexander Shulgin

The EU are looking at what they perceive is China "dumping " ev's to garner market share ! Eu manufacturers particularly VW have gotten van der leyens ear , I'd say it won't be long before tariffs are imposed shame , their priced for the average Joe, eu models priced around €60k are unrealistic & who wants to buy a used model not knowing how much longer the battery will last , AFAIK the MG Battery is the same Panasonic battery Tesla use so some track record there

No, the MG4 has two completely different battery types, depending on model, and both are manufactured by CATL.

And as for the China/EU thing, this has been discussed in other threads already. VW sell far more in China than any Chinese manufacturer does in the EU. A trade war, with China imposing tarrifs on VW cars, is bad business for VW. It's the French who are pushing for tariffs but VW/Germany are unlikely to be trying to reduce their own sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

has anyone installed a reversing camera on the standard edition MG4?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006012928137.html This apparently works with the infotainment system. Has anyone got this or something similar?

There's a few threads on the mgevs forum about doing it, haven't seen any hooking up to the infotainment though, think you'd need access to the software to do that.

Picked up my MG4 three weeks ago. First long trip to Belfast yesterday. Got stuck at 30% up there as it wouldn't fast charge. Tried both BP Polar chargers, failed to start, then booked it down to an ESB one but another MG4 got in before me. Said he had the same trouble with BP but also issues using Applegreen on the M1. I went down to Lidl and tried EasyGo. Connected and started but got HV Battery Shut Off dash warning after 4 minutes, had to get charger rebooted. Tried 3 times with same outcome and not enough range to get home. Went to Dromore Go and tried ESB there, worked, also tried Ionity in City North and it worked great 140kW speed. So, what gives - I've heard about other cars with software issues, never wanted a piece of that! Had eCorsa previously and use all the chargers above without issue. Have car booked in to get checked but very disappointed. At least MG recovery (which is backed by AA) said they would recover from Belfast back to Dublin if required. I didn't bring my type 2 cable as I'd never had this bad an experience before. Charged at home fine for last few weeks but goes to show - watch out and bring contingency type 2 cable on your first long trip in a new car! Some noise on MG forums Uk about BP Polar charger issues and software problems with the EV charging controller so hope a software update will fix. Will have to test a few to make sure after any update. I'll also be hesitant after the annual service and assume the worst until I prove each charger brand still works and doesn't break again!

Anyone else with fast charger issues & MG4 out there? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There is a SW update related to charging available, don't know if it is related to or would fix the problem you had.

I'm hoping so, they can't tell me until they get my car in - can't log a case with MG until then either but will contact MG for info. UK forums seem to indicate there is an update for the charging software but only if requested. I'm hoping that's the case anyway. Had R21 from get go (SE long range).

• Advertisement

Yes, issues with some software communication thing with BP fast chargers, apparently other makes have the same issue. There's an update available as JPA says. Not sure why it only seems to be the BP ones.

I'm up and down to Belfast a bit with work and haven't tried BP chargers up there yet, but might do next week. First few times I just did a quick fast charge at Applegreen Bellingham on the way back, but last time I just took it easy and got home to west Dublin with 19% still on the battery. Might ring up Linders in a few weeks and specify this issue and Bluetooth unpairing, to get the latest infotainment version and any available updates, although they don't really make any difference to me at the moment.

It's definitely worth raising it with the dealer and pushing them to confirm any updates that are available for the charging controller are applied.

Advertisement