Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Even worse than that, cyclists and buses can end up playing the worst game of leap frog, where buses have to overtake the cyclist, who then overtakes the bus when it stops. Repeat all the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dublin Live belatedly reporting on the jeweller who claims that he was forced to close because of the cycle lane (no mention of the bus lane, water works, etc).

Wonders why his 70-80 year old customers cannot continue to use the parking across the road (ignoring the fact that there is no parking across the road and it is not safe for anyone to cross a fast moving six lane carriageway)

"I have completely failed to recognise the changing demographics of my customer base, and it is someone else's fault that all my customers are dying off".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So. He got stabbed in the chest in the shop, and his father eventually succumbed to injuries received after being beaten up in the shop? And he's blaming the not yet extant cycle lane for closing the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dublin is not like Amsterdam right now. But progress towards sustainable transport can't happen without pain for those who believe that there's nothing that can ever take them out of their car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re the comment about 70-80 year olds and cycling - my parents, and the parents of a lot of my friends, are in that age bracket, and the vast majority of them are still mobile and many play golf. the one or two who are not mobile are either over 80, or the issue with their mobility stems from them not having cycled/walked enough. arguing against provision of cycling infrastructure because of a 75 year old not cycling is in a roundabout way ensuring that future 75 year olds also won't cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The class thing is interesting, cycling costs about 1% of what car ownership costs, yet we are told that the poor have to drive and the rich can cycle. How do you square that circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

There is a perception that cycle infrastructure is intended to cater for middle aged, middle class, male cyclists, with good jobs, who own expensive road bikes with lots of flashy gear.

When it is actually aimed at the many, many cyclists who don’t fit into that bracket, as well as those who currently don’t cycle at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The barriers to entry to cycling are lower than they have ever been. I reckon if I set my mind to it I could get a free bike before the end of the day. I know I have given bikes away myself for free before. The poorer estates my way are full of kids on ebikes now aswell so the class element thing is a nonsense but another good way to get a dig at people who work hard for a living.

I see the dislike of cyclists similar to the dislike of vegans in that people recognise that they COULD do more but have given up the moral high ground for convenience (or laziness).

• Advertisement

If you wanted to, sure you could spend up to 4 or 5 grand on a brand new high end bike and equipment. But you can start cycling today on a perfectly good second hand bike for less than €50. If you wanted to start driving, you can do so after about a year if you try really hard to jump through all the hoops, and entry to the world of driving costs an absolut minimum of 5 grand plus continuous fuel and maintenance. Also the lads with the lycia and high end bikes are looking to cycle faster than 30kmh for long stretches so the urban cycle lane is of little use to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Completely agree.

There are three camps: the Already Do (ie me),

the Could Be Convinced (ie my missus),

and the Will Never Get Out Of Their Car (ie my Aul' Lad).

Good infrastructure should appeal to the second category, and there are lots of them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just came across this thread and experienced the Fairview problem last week before a detour through that lovely avenues of Marino! Is it really going to last 21 months?

Cycling infrastructure should not come at the expense of continued bad infrastructure for the rest of people. There always seems to be a greater fuss about this than addressing the chronically poor public transport issue which moves a lot more people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is not solely about cycling infrastructure. This is as much for public transport as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Considering the speed of construction in this nation, I would be surprised if it’ll ONLY take 21 months… guess we’ll just have to see 😉

We don't actually have an adequate public transport to fit such infrastructure. It all needs to be joined up thinking. Don't recall there being an issue on that stretch since bus lanes came in.

It's often been my experience that folks in cars rarely think about or realise the problems other modes have due to the dominance of cars.

This is often alleviated by experiencing the situation first hand for a few days, whether that be walking, cycling or using PT.

There's lots of really big public transport projects in the works right now though. Also this project, the clontarf bus and cycle route, is also a public transport project.

Also on the clontarf route there's more people cycling than being moved by public transport.

• Advertisement

Predominantly a car user now but have spent plenty of years down the public transport route too. My experience is very varied, from buses cancelled without notice to convoys queueing behind each other or 25-30 minutes delays on morning routes due to full buses flying by. I get why people don't want to use them. Lack of frequency and distances to actual bus routes are issues that remain unsolved and continue to make it unattractive as an option for many. As I said there is a far bigger picture that is missing key parts of the jigsaw.

Really? Have you tried cycling it? Coming out of town Fairview is treacherous. Going into town Amiens Street is scary. On 4 wheels it is seriously slow most of the way in and out at peak times.

Buses tend to get clogged in with other traffic at the various lights and junctions. Couple that with lack of awareness by drivers around bus lanes, yellow boxes, traffic lights and the general ability to stay out of the way the journey time on public transport is a lot longer and unpredictable that it should be. This change will hopefully address the issues although without enforcement you would wonder what is the point

You did read the stuff on this thread about how this project will help to improve public transport, right?

In the works and not actually happening and some being held up by naked NIMBYism. I have no opinion on this one as it's a route I very rarely use and can avoid completely. I was just surprised at the length of it and will avoid it now.

Yes I have done and never had an issue with it personally. Lots of cycling and driving does hone your senses. A family member did meet an open car door one time though!

There shouldn't be the equivalent of a culture war over this and there is extreme militancy on both sides of the argument. Most people can accept what appear to be common sense adjustments. It's when there is wholesale change and it looks like nobody has been consulted - Strand Road Sandymount and the attempted Salthill route for example, that people get very irate. As the planners of the Dun Laoghaire route observed you really need to talk to people and keep them in the loop to help them understand what you're trying to do. Unfortunately that does not seem to be a policy of many councils.

i used to cycle into fairview from the malahide road, but take a left and then swing down by east point when commuting (i was bypassing rather than heading for the city centre though) and across the east link; i found that far more preferable than going via amiens street.

look at what happened busconnects. a major upgrade of the bus infrastructure was announced and immediately started being assaulted on all sides by all sorts of councillors, and it started dying a death by a thousand paper cuts.

It's more difficult crossing the road at Connolly as cyclist often have a habit of ignoring pedestrian lights!

• Advertisement
Advertisement