Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You could take a detour and still make it in 45. Worth it to avoid the malahide road.

Go ahead. I've cycled that exact route for 20 years and it's 30 mins to Donnycarney Church. Was your 20km cycle through the city centre, with your work clothes in a bag on your back, all uphill, with multiple sets of traffic lights and a few near-death experiences thrown in the mix?

For an idea of just how wrong Google is, switch directions and check how long it takes to do the same journey in the opposite direction when its all downhill. Is it an identical 30 min cycle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it goes from 30 to 32 minutes when you switch directions.

and it's not 'all downhill', in the sense that clarehall is at a dizzying 27m elevation. the malahide road does reach 37m elevation at points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Have done Clarehall(Tesco) to Grand Canal dock area in about 20 mins, bit different going back uphill of course..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glasnevin to leopardstown, across the east link, multiple sets of traffic lights, bag on my back, several near death experiences, and a 60 or 70m climb up newtownpark avenue near the end. i had showers available when i arrived though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

22 minutes and 8.5km for me last time I cycled from city center to clarehall. Anyone of average fitness could do it in under 30min, or 20min with an ebike.

I've run it in 50 minutes (with work clothes, laptop in a backpack, etc.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think we need to have a Boards.ie race to resolve this 🤔🚴‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you have to stop at lights?

Apparently cyclists never stop for red lights so why start now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe Google stop. :)

I find Google way over-estimate the times for walking, Probably the same for cycling.

We could have a handicap system for the boards race - high nellies or panniers full of rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

In my experience, if you sweat while cycling, then you're cycling wrong. Dress down, get a pannier to get anything off your back, and learn how to use your gears ffs. In the depths of winter I'd cycle in a tshirt and a thin windbreaker, gloves for your hands and I wouldn't break a sweat.

I can't imagine an easier commute on Dublin's arterial routes than Clarehall to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I commute from Clontarf to city centre. I'd say it's easier than Clarehall to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How middle class of you! The Journal.ie commenters are right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From Clarehall you have to negotiate the Artane roundabout* which can be a bit nuts. Also the potential of having you ankle savaged as you pass the traveller site. The turn to Fairview wouldn't be great either.

*The roundabout that will soon cease to be. It is going to be a signal controlled junction in a couple of years if anyone wants to get in early on a thread whinging about it 😁😉

In my experience, if you sweat while cycling, then you're cycling wrong.

not if that's the goal!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have walked to Donnycarney Church from O'Connell street in 45 min.

The section through Fairview is indeed terrible and life-threatening while cycling though - mostly due to the number of cars who cut across the lane to prematurely get into the bus lane which becomes the left turning lane up to the Malahide Road.

People will often sneak up the bus lane to skip the queue there, and as a result, will often be speeding on that section.

I have walked to Donnycarney Church from O'Connell street in 45 min.

it's actually even closer than i thought - 4km from the parnell monument to donneycarney church. maybe the poster who said it was half an hour cycle wasn't coming from o'connell street?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Traffic flowing very freely inbound at Marino Mart yesterday morning at rush hour. Schools closed this week of course, which always helps. Maybe the improvements will see more kids bussing and cycling to school in the near future.

• Advertisement

I travelled there on Friday at 8.30am and it was a lot clearer than usual.

I actually meant to type O'Connell Bridge, but whatever. The point stands.......I've cycled that route for 4-5 times a week for 15+ years. It's 20-25 mins on a really good day (and I mean really good), and 30+ mins during rush hour when the universe conspires against you. It's at least another 15 to Clarehall. And, despite what another poster says, it's uphill for the vast, vast majority of it.

And I'd be above average in terms of capabilities. This is beyond the realm of probably 85-90%+ of people I'd encounter when I do take the bus/train in. Telling people they can cycle in because it's only 10km is pointless when they can't/won't cycle 500 yards.

Nah, if you're not sweating then you're doing it wrong. The whole point of it is to get a bit of a workout while commuting, no? If you're too cold on the bike, you're not going fast enough. There's no way I'd cycle in anywhere that didn't provide showers. I wonder if your co-workers would agree with you about the "not breaking a sweat" part? Also, there's no way you'd do that route in under 45 without breaking a sweat.

Brilliant, fair play. Pretty irrelevant, though, when I'm talking about cycling to Clarehall, really? I mean I've walked to Stephen's Green from Parnell Square in 15 mins before, but that's equally as sh1te a comparison as your one.

I actually meant to type O'Connell Bridge, but whatever. The point stands.......I've cycled that route for 4-5 times a week for 15+ years. It's 20-25 mins on a really good day (and I mean really good), and 30+ mins during rush hour when the universe conspires against you. It's at least another 15 to Clarehall. And, despite what another poster says, it's uphill for the vast, vast majority of it.

This is Garmin's take on the route...

Using my sister as an example, she hadn't cycled since she was a kid, got a used bike and now will happily do Howth Head (~150m). Over 8km, 42m isn't that much of a challenge.

And I'd be above average in terms of capabilities. This is beyond the realm of probably 85-90%+ of people I'd encounter when I do take the bus/train in. Telling people they can cycle in because it's only 10km is pointless when they can't/won't cycle 500 yards.

Not sure about the numbers who can't cycle 500 yards - I'd say the vast majority simply won't do it but that's why we have a bus service, etc. The most important aspect is that there is a safe route that allows those who choose to cycle it to do so.

Nah, if you're not sweating then you're doing it wrong. The whole point of it is to get a bit of a workout while commuting, no?

for some, not for all, not by any stretch. most people probably don't have showers in work. most people want to cycle as a cheap and efficient way of getting to work and are not interested in a workout.

I've no shower in work, so have to pace myself on the way in for that reason. Unless I'm running late!

Often go faster on my return journey as I can jump in the shower as soon as I get back.

That section of bus lane at the college just before the shops on the left is absolute carnage at times, dozens of cars jump into the bus lane before the bus stop just to get ahead of others trying to correctly take the left lane and up the Malahide road..... Why don't we have Bus lane enforcement cameras in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Nah, I cycle to get from A-B and to stretch my legs, I don't cycle as a gym replacement. I started cycling when I lived in rural Germany and on an omafiets, so I think our intentions are vastly divergent.

Had an issue there a while back with a large SUV, cutting up the bus lane, almost hitting me on the bike. He then cut right and went straight, rather than the mandatory left.

Then started beeping at me for not being in the 'cycle path' as we approached lights at Alfie Byrne road. That painted line on vehicle is awful to cycle on, and even worse on a long wheelbase cargo bike.

That junction area is a nightmare for anyone, once you turn the corner you have to watch for vehicles coming from your right off the fairview road as you take that left turn, plus kamikaze pedestrians, then more vehicles from your right and left crossing and merging onto the malahide road, before you're scooting up a tiny paint-cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And I'd be above average in terms of capabilities.

Clearly, you are not if you are cycling at 150% of walking pace. You said it takes you 30 min to cycle to Donnycarney Church - that makes you monumentally slow.

Advertisement