Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mam1996

I tested positive on 16th March. Had sinus infection last week which needed antibiotics and thus week completely flattened again with aches and pains, sore throat and cough. At this stage I'm worn out there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. GP not interested just saying it takes longer in some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I Don't think any more antibiotics or steroids would help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Took myself to DDoc last night.Chest a bit tight, day 8 of covid.I wasn't struggling for breath or anything, I just wasn't comfortable and it had been going on a couple of days.Thankfully everything seemed fine but he recommended steroids and antibiotics, so I started those today.Hoping they will clear whatever the issue is - I am not an asthmatic.

My eldest is also on an anitibiotic now for what seemed to be a throat/ear infection which appeared yesterday.

Be glad to see the back of this.Next purchases will be a lot of probiotics, and vitamins, to try and help recovery for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I think whatever dryness or inflammation it causes in the airways, can lead to opportunistic infections or just generalised irritation when the covid has gone. I definitely have more of a productive cough and runny nose now than I did while I was infected. The bit of exercise I did on Tuesday was a bit of a mistake. I was fine for it and during it, was nice. But my lungs didn't thank me for it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

I had it a month ago (suspect I caught it at the office - my first and only day in since the start of the first lockdown, go figure)

I was very lucky this time, overall pretty mild, with no long-term effects other than die-hard sinus congestion (still annoying the life out of me today)...

Started with a killer sort throat and savage headache, the like of which I have only experienced a handful of times in my life. Then the cough. Few nights I couldn't sleep (no body aches, just intense discomfort, hard to explain exactly), severe sinus congestion (can't breathe lying down, propped up with 4 pillows at night), and 2 days of zero energy, was a chore getting out of bed to use the loo. 2 days of zero appetite (combined with post-nasal drip, downright nauseous, mere thought of food had me puking)

Now I feel fine, still petrified of catching it again (next variant might not be so mild, and I've seen first-hand how bad it can be, from friends who weren't so lucky)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Secondary bacterial infection is how it was described to me.I suspect you are right.The nurse said to me I might need steroids to settle any inflammation in the lungs after it.

Feeling a bit better now, this after.Well, much closer to normal anyway.

updating here:

SO got sick and tested positive on same wednesday, similar set of symptoms. 3 y.o. got sick on friday, had episodic high fever for 2 days, very tired, first day couldn't keep any food down, able to eat the next day, mostly recovered by day 3 with some lingering fatigue that seems to be mostly gone by this weekend. Both adults better but still have lingering symptoms (cough, fatigue, episodes of dizziness etc). 2 weeks today since my first symptoms appeared. I also have HR monitor on my watch, and readings have been more... wobbly, less even, although app still says "sinus rhythm". HR has been slightly elevated but never got into the 100s like it did for some people. Overall impact on the body feels at least as bad as with a bout of flu, and highly concerning that it seems like people have been getting repeat infections (this is our first bout). One adult in the household is boosted, the other not, can't say it made a big difference one way or the other (initially vaccinated last summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

Presume you tested clear since 5th April?

Are people re-infecting quickly? I thought getting it, created immunity for a decent period of time?

first tested positive april 5, 2 days after initial symptoms. haven't been testing last few days so not sure if still positive or not.

reading this thread and elsewhere, looks like quite a few are repeat infections.

I tested positive about 2 weeks ago and clear 4 days later. Fairly minor symptoms tg.

Wife has been positive for the last week. I still have tiredness and a slight sore throat. My gut feeling, is not to re-test. If I did and was positive, it would trigger another period of isolation etc. Like others, avoided it for over two years and just want to try get on with living as a fully vaccinated person. I'm assuming (correctly or wrongly) I have built some form of short-term immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 needtoknowasap

Would anyone have a screenshot of a recent positive pcr test by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Escapees

You thinking of faking one from it?! ;)

I am on day 12 - covid flattened me from about day 8.

I am exhausted and my chest is achey.First five days were ok but ut went downhill then.Steroids and antibiotics needed.I never had a temp or struggled for breath or even much of a cough, but honestly I cannot function the last 3 days.It has been an endless bank holiday weekend.Doctor has told me this is normal and it can do this apparently.It needs to shift off quickly, I have had enough!Everything checks out medically for me, been to see a doc and been examined, so it is "just covid".

Only other medical advice given was to drink a LOT of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sorry to hear that Shesty. I wasn’t that bad but it took a good while for me to shake off as well. Certainly more severe than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I never got it, I never followed the hysteria no constant hand washing, never tested for it and steered clear of the injections.

I wash my hands regularly as good general hygiene practice. I got vaccinated and boosted and avoided it for over two years.

I had mild flu symptoms and friends with a new born baby was about to visit, so out of courtesy, I tested and tested positive. Wasn't ill at all and glad to have the vaccine as a safeguard. And glad, just like a flu etc, I kept clear from the visiting baby.

I don't see any problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

It seems that a lot of people are getting it multiple times now. Immunity seems to prevent hospitalisation but doesn’t prevent repeating bad doses.

Hmmm... Heard someone recently say the same thing. If you didn't test for it, then how do you know you didn't have it?!!! You may have been asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The thing is if you believe you’re asymptomatic where do you draw the line with testing? You’d be testing yourself everyday.

Thanks Fits.Not enjoying myself at the moment.I appear fine, and everything checks out ok but I am not capable of much.It is very frustrating to be honest, I am not one for lying around but I have seem to have no other option at the moment.

• Advertisement

Agree, but unless you test negative for antibodies, you can't reliably claim that you never got Covid... Note that I'm not trying to start an argument here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Shesty . Went through similar with first steroids and inhalers for chest about 5 days post start of Omicron, and then a week later antibiotics for a lingering cough and temperature. Took another week but was recovering from it well by day 21.

Back working that week and no further issues , hopefully that will be you as well . Just don't push too much .

Get well soon .

Thanks @Goldengirl , good to know.I will be taking it very easy.My biggest challenge is 3 active kids on their Easter holidays - they are at the minder this week and I am off work, as it is impossible to rest enough when they are here.

It does create immunity and reduced reinfection with the other variants of Omicron for at least 3 months it is estimated. . But not 100% .

Also there are other viruses circulating now as well so if not testing or not testing positive this is more likely than reinfection .

I would think the poster that never tested or never took precautions like hand hygiene is not the one to be listening to, on this , tbh .

yes, a very worrying trend. each infection carries additional risk of potentially dangerous sequelae, beyond its own immediate severity. and, of course, it's significantly more contagious than flu.

I was assuming the latter point myself until recently, but been digging around looking at data, and recent trends for re-infections are highly worrying. There also doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for whether a re-infection is more or less severe, regardless of combination of previous infection and various vaccination statuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Tested positive on Wednesday. Currently on Doxycycline and steroids. Very wheezy and chesty and generally feeling unwell and restless. Thought I was improving yesterday but I'm much worse today.

5 days being sick now and I've had enough of it.

How long does this usually past from people's experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

About two weeks for me but I wasn’t right for a good few weeks after. Grand now though.

• Advertisement

Same as Fits here.Don't put a timeline on it in your head, be prepared to feel off for a couple of weeks (although probably not as unwell as you feel now).

General consensus among those I know and myself is the main symptoms can be gone in a couple of weeks but you might have a couple of lingering ones like low energy, achey/shaky legs, maybe a slightly painful or wheezy feeling in your chest, something like those.Give it time.

Advertisement