Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

This virus is so strange. Had all the symptoms, testing negative for days. On day 3 swabbed throat and nose and got a very faint positive. Rest of the house tested positive. I was least affected, and my toddler was floored with it due to secondary bacterial infections, so I got run down due to not really sleeping etc. Day 12, just a runny nose left, some sinus pain, took a test just to be sure I'm clear. Strongest positive I've ever gotten. Think it's leaving me through my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm on day 3 of isolating now someone else in the house has tested positive this morning. Do my 10 days have to start again now?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have Covid your isolation is independent of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Xander10

I know if lots of people getting it for the first time in recent weeks. No one too sick TG.

Personally, still glad to see restrictions gone, but do people think if we retained the masks, current cases would be much lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

well it certainly be no harm, i'm still wearing them whenever i'm out - in all social settings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Day 2 here, positive.We all are.

Annoyed by the whole thing.Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No @fits but my 7 year old had in December.It is her second go round of it🙄 It has alao happened to 2 of my siblings and a close friend and I know quite a few kids in the school have had it again in recent weeks, since Christmas.

Wondering when we reach the point where we stop testing - there is hardly much point if we are all just going to get it multiple times.

It's been a rough few months all round for the kids with sicknesses, so i am well and truly fed up at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They've been quiet about it, but the official health advice from the HSE now is that if you are under 55 or fully boosted and have no underlying health conditions, you do not need to do a test; antigen or PCR. Even if you have symptoms.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/testing/get-tested/

You do not need a test if you are:

- under 55 years of age with symptoms of COVID-19 and you are otherwise healthy

- age 55 or older and you are fully boosted, even if you have symptoms of COVID 19

The advice is to self-isolate until 48 hours after your symptoms have passed.

For most people, especially families with kids, it basically means anyone with symptoms should stay at home for 3 or 4 days. Like you would generally have done for most sicknesses anyways.

So basically - stop testing when you feel like it.

I admit, I have been embracing the "no testing" concept....my husband did his first earlier in the week though and it came up positive, so we have each done one as symptoms popped up.That's it now, we'll do the 7 days or whatever and move on.Two weeks of my life wasted at Christmas, and a week or so this time round, plus the last 2 years, we have given enough of our lives to this thing (well that's my feeling for us).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mun1

Spare a thought for all those people who literally spent the last days of their lives fighting it, and lost.

you won.

I regularly do.

I won this round.

Who is to say there won't be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This isolation is killing me. There should be some allowance to let someone walk down a quiet road and back where ud hardly pass anybody even for half an hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anecdotally, lotta people getting out for quiet walks ... maybe with a mask on in case they meet someone or going 'incognito'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think you can?I thought I saw guidelines to say you can, early in the day, or at a quiet time in a place you know will be quiet.They were in relation to kids mainly but you'd imagine they could apply to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

God yeah. We went out every day on our country lane when we had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Why would you not. When I had it I was walking outdoors all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Got it St Patrick's day myself, got a sort of sequel of symptoms starting last Saturday having been fine for a week post recovery and I'm finding it extremely difficult to kick

Sore throat

Cough ( very phlegmy though)

Hoarse

Not tired though and no headache so maybe just a regular dose that arrived afterwards?

I'm firmly in favour of the ending of restrictions of any kind however

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

So recovery, I know everyone is different antigen test negative after 8 days and feeling better than I did . But still getting serious breathlessness and heavy chest . fatigue Is a killer, even walking the 400 meters to the shop I was wrecked.

I was hoping to get back to gym tomorrow but i can’t see it happening yet .. pissed off now hanging around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Most people still go for walks. Especially in rural areas. They would even warn you that they have covid when passing by - or maybe they just dont want idle chat 😊

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mun1

On day 7 now and finally coming right. Here’s how my days went. 52 years old healthy active male.

ground zero - contracted at works do in pub

day 1 (3 days after GZ)- showing mild symptoms - sore throat , light headache - negative Antigen

Day 2 - symptoms worse- throat very sore, chest feeling heavy, tired - positive antigen

day 3- sickest I’ve ever been in my life, cant swallow, difficulty breathing, massive headache, wet phlemy cough, painful limbs.

day 4- same as day 3 but hacking cough worse and breathing worse, runny nose

day 5- coughing easing, breathing getting looser , started steroids, went to sleep for first ie since day 2.

day 6- still have annoying cough, but breathing better, and headache has cleared. Went oiutside. Taste buds all over the place .

day 7 - tired but getting back to normal , coughing less frequent . Sore throat mostly gone, no headache, chest about 90%

i was told to take nurofen by a friend and i have it say , its the only thing that worked any bit. Cough mixture-No , paracetamol-No. wife told me to get steroids once i was improving , she also said no antibiotics unless i was certain i had a chest infection as antibiotics will weaken you .

wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. (Well, maybe a few of them :) )

Day 7 here, feeling brand new tbh. Funny how it hits people in different ways.

Worst for me was the tiredness. About as bad as a bad cold. Really sucked the energy out of me, and kind of suddenly. Woke up absolutely fine that morning, by the afternoon I was feeling pretty rubbish, by the evening I really had to drag myself around the place.

Day 2 & 3 were better in that regard; physically a bit tired, but not fatigued. Feeling fuzzy in the head; nearly out-of-body at times. Slight headache, kept at bay by paracetemol. Very, very slight cough. Nothing persistent, slight soreness in my chest on day 3, gone by day 4.

Negative antigens till day 5. Tested on days 1, 3 & 5.

I wear a watch with HR and sleep monitoring, and it was very interesting to see the why of how I felt. Resting heart rate was elevated the whole time by about 25%. During night 1, my HR at times was up in the low-100s (typically mid-40s when I'm asleep), which is the equivalent of going for a walk. The watch indicated that I got some rest, but no deep sleep. Same on night 2. This is why my head was so fuzzy; I was physically rested but not mentally rested.

Noticed the same HR thing during the day; if I carried the toddler up the stairs a bit quickly, there'd be a moment of "Oh, hang on, let me stop for a second", like I'd just sprinted for the bus.

By day 4 I'd managed to get some deep sleep and the fuzziness had mostly lifted. Day 5 I was back to 95% and this morning (day 7) I feel 100% except for some dehydration (which could be the two glasses of wine last night :D). My resting HR is still slightly elevated, suggesting that my body is still doing something, but I'm going to do some gentle exercise today and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Madeoface

Day 5 since first heavy symptoms and positive test (i.e. taking day of test, last Wednesday, as day 0). Cough almost gone, temp fine, sinuses blocked and can't shake the related headaches fully. Tired but certainly over the worst...if I could nick some sleep.

Mm, day 7 here since symptoms first appeared.

Sinuses were a bit stuffy for a couple of days but I used a saline spray regularly which helped.Day 3 was probably the worst.Slight cough, it was mostly dry and not that regular.No temp, no major tiredness although I looked very unwell on days 3 and 4. Right now I am down to an occasional annoying cough and a really slightly stuffed nose..

Two unvaccinated kids have it here....they are on day 6.They cough the odd time and that's it.So far anyway.Energy levels not affected.One child had a slight temp on day 2 and that was it.(and she has already had covid, about 3 months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Did you notice if your RHR went up in the days before you started showing symptoms? That's something I've been wondering about, if a smart watch could give an indication that something is up before you knew yourself.

I was on the absolute batter the days before, so yes my RHR did go up, but not because of Covid :D

That's been a theory of mine too, but I've found in practice that RHR is better at telling you whether you are sick rather than giving you an early warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

My neighbour has it and she walks a country lane every morning early with her mask on & she just waves instead of stopping for a chat. Wear your mask go out or your head will be fried just dont stop or talk to anyone wear your headphones.

Five days now, I'd hope Paulie is out and about :D

But yes, while the official public health advice is to self-isolate, people recover better when they are mentally in a good place. The odds of transmitting any infection to another human being outside and with a gap between ye is practically zero. So get out for walks if you feel up to it, wear a mask if that makes you feel better, keep your distance and don't stop to chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Don't know if I have " Long Covid " or another chest infection but not going for more antibiotics and steroids as I've already had two courses since Xmas.

Having to use ventolin past number of days as tight chest and very bad cough

Advertisement