Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

• 08-10-2021 7:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

No.

The usual wokerazzi whingebags would have you believe it is, but the audience loved it, Google reviews currently stand at 95% positive, Rotten Tomatoes currently stand at 82%. Yes, he makes jokes about trans people, but Dave Chappelle has joked about everyone and anyone in his body of work over the decades.

If you don't like him, don't watch him, but don't expect any special treatment from comics just because you're in a minority group. Life is much better if you learn to laugh at yourself.

The Closer is on Netflix. Highly recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,140 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The trouble is the media, and pushing Chappelle saying "I'm Team TERF" in their tweets/headlines meaning that's all people see and therefore claim Chappelle is transphobic. That quote is removed from the context of everything else Chappelle says, and is what people will focus on without having watched the special, or watch it having already seen the "I'm Team TERF" quote and therefore go in prejudiced against it from the start.

That said, I don't think the special was that good. It was fairly bland for the most part, and I don't think he got across most of the points he was trying to make well enough, certainly not to his usual standard. Some of his previous Netflix specials were much better.

He knew what he was doing.

Whipping up some free publicity from a group of people who have diluted "phobe" to a ridiculous level.

He's a "POC" so he has some protection too.

Clever tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its not particularly funny by his standards but its worth watching.

I think Chapelle is smart enough to see which way the wind is blowing now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cocotheclown

Trans people always want people to be tolerant yet show no tolerance themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What sort of intolerance are you accusing them of?

• Advertisement

I don't think that's necessarily true.

In my experience, it's the people who aren't trans but want to be SEEN as a "trans-ally" are the ones who are the intolerant ones. Any trans person I have met just want to get on with their lives.

I think the people who claim to be "trans-advocates" are unaware that they are doing anything except stoking division.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

True. They often do more harm than good. Not that they actually care, of course. They just want to pat themselves on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

This is the first I've seen of any blowback, or is it reverse blowback? Some people just want to be outraged I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I saw him live a few months back and there was way more stuff that wasn't in this special that would be deemed offensive lol. Luckily all phones and devices were locked away for the show.

I think he is pretty much uncancelable though, and he gives zero **** ,so good luck to the keyboard warriors trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I did think this bit was very, very funny when was talking about how the LGBTQ community were mad at him.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TT8-5KBInls

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's a genius way of highlighting the recent molestation of the English language.

"Careful, Dave. They after you"

"One they, or many theys?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's a tough call. I'm not sure how to score this. Chapelle's a black yank which gives him something like +5 in historical oppression points but, he's also a man which carries +4 in privilege points and +2 in historical blame points although the historical blame has a -50% modifier due to the blackness nerf. He's also cis and straight which adds +4 privilege points although this buff doesn't fully stack due to his blackness which is currently at around 70% and is subject to change. His humour increases his rhetoric by 10 flat points which directly defends and sometimes nullifies outrage points from opponents. How these scores play out, I have no idea. In fact, I'm more confused now than when I started posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I've not seen it or his last few specials tbh, so zero opinion one way or other, but I do wonder how many whether slagging or defending him have actually watched it in full and are just posturing online for likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you could view it 2 ways punching down/pushback or Trans have arrived so welcome to the party, enjoy the mosh pit with the rest of society

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

It's not trans phobic and it's also not very good

His worst special in my opinion but maybe you need to have more exposure to American life to find it relevant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I’m all for equality, but in every sense. That includes no special protection from ridicule by comedians for anyone.

Was it misogynistic when Jimmy Kimmel led the Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson? Likewise, was it racist when Jeff Ross laid into Flavor Flav during that roast? Either of those roastees could have easily taken to social media after being roasted and whinged that it was veiled hatred disguised as comedy, but they didn’t. You are right @silverharp when you say “welcome to the party” because everyone has a place in society, everyone gets a seat at the table, and everyone gets slagged off sooner or later. It’s how it is and how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I thought it was quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭archfi

Watched it last night. Loved it.

He's a very clever man and a master of his craft (as he says himself!)

Anything and everything is transphobic these days so I love the overwhelming meh reaction to the hysterical squeakers.

I particularly enjoyed the 'Space Jews' thread in the show. Very clever and importantly, very funny.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I think the intolerance is in the way they went after his friend Dapne and others like JK Rowling the whole cancel culture but that's not just a trans thing, the point I took form the show was people are people and there's plenty of C**ts right now in the trans movement, that's not because they are trans but because they are c**ts. It's like people can't joke about trans? why? I've had 2 family members murdered and know 3 people that have been raped! I still laugh at jokes.

Why should the trans community be any different to anyone else? most of us have chips on our shoulder but at times it's like some carry a whole field and think they're the 1st to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's an absolutely brilliant comedian, I think, and it wasn't that I found his transgender material offensive, having no skin in that game, but did find it disappointing that he stayed on the one subject for most of the special and not always of a mind to make it as funny as possible but to preach on it. I'll always remember his bit about heroin in Ohio and contrasting the treatment of the issue with how blacks were seen during the crack epidemic, but doing so in a hysterical way, "Just say NO! What's so hard about that? (**** eating grin)". He could have addressed the transgender thing in a tight 10 minutes and moved on to many other things that needed his comedic opinion, so in that sense the special was a bit of a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The same people who want him cancelled were crying about saying women have cervixes is somehow transphobic 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The interesting part is that in the first part of his previous special, he made some jokes about the trans topic. He got some letters/emails of outrage, so he said sorry in the second part. He must of dealt with a serious amount of bullshit since then to go back into that field after saying sorry.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You know something is good when the critics hate it but the audience love it. You know if ti was Amy Schumer and full of queef jokes the scores would be reversed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

Ah yes, billionaire JK Rowling has been cancelled! in what way exactly has she been cancelled and her ability to be heard been removed? Being held accountable for spouting sh1te isn`t being cancelled.

You are purposely missing the point. If Rowling gets cancelled, anyone that holds her views are cancelled by proxy.

What **** did she spout? What was particularly egregious to you? What should she be accountable for?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

i asked how she had been cancelled. Please provide some evidence of this. (being criticized is not being cancelled)

People are allowed views & you don't have to friggin agree with them but basic facts like biology hold no matter what, go deal with it.

What does it matter if someone is a billionaire? how does that affect anything? why is it shite? because you don't agree? shall we talk how stupid it was Maya Forstater lost her job?

So is biology shite now? ffs

"Dress however you please.

Call yourself whatever you like.

Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you.

Live your best life in peace and security.

But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? "

The twatter mafia tried to cancel her as far as I can see, if not what were "they " attempting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Don't forget the egregious crime of saying that the word for "people who menstruate" is "women"

• Advertisement

Oh right. I tell you what, type "jk Rowling" and "cancelled" into Google and you'll get your answer.

Plenty of examples there for you.

Are you really going to attempt to argue this point?

Advertisement