Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Field also shared a portion of an email statement that appeared to be from a Netflix official saying, “Our investigation did not find that you joined the QBR meeting with any ill intent and that you genuinely didn’t think there was anything wrong with seeking access to this meeting. Additionally when a director shared the link it further supported that this was a meeting that you could attend.”

A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the veracity of Field’s tweet and added that the other employees were also reinstated. “We will be distributing broader guidance about meetings and clarifying which are for which people,” they added. The spokesperson also reiterated that the suspension was not due to Field’s critical tweets.

It wasn't an in-person meeting with the suspended people trying to barge into a room full of people, it was an online meeting which the people involved were given a link to join and it was at the very least ambiguous as to whether or not they were allowed to join the online meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting comparison, customers not buying Gillettes products thanks to their ads is the same as organized groups of weirdos trying to destroy an ordinary persons life because they didn't hold the approved opinions.

it was definite cancellation attempt and the cancellers were also doin their best to anoint her Queen Terf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That wouldnt be in the slightest bit comparable...you do know it was a zoom call...right?...and she was invited to it?....so hardly storming into a board meeting....lol

Maybe read Penns post.....

It was a zoom they were invited too...

why does this go back to America, with you guys. Not that banning mask mandates is fascist either but I had to look it up. Apparently there’s a state in America where this is happening. Voter ID is also a US thing. Pretty sure most countries have it already. Right wing US policies don’t travel. Left wing US ideologies do, which is why the trans movement is of more importance where we actually live.

This is a good example of a cultish statement, anti science and evolution. It’s the kind of this that, had it originated in a right wing US cult, would he laughed at. However left wing cultishness - which often has its roots in the US as their background as a strongly religious nation - is just accepted.

A transwomen is a biological man (with no need for any transition). Gender identity philosophy sees the identity of the person as being more important the sex of the person.

If you believe that a transwomen is a woman in the same way that a red headed woman is a woman then it’s impossible to keep biological men out of women’s sports, locker rooms, political shortlists, refuges etc.

seems crazy that any woman believes in it, but we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Colin Kaepernick says hello. Clearly you haven't heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

That's pretty much the nail on the head for me Coco

I never listened to Dave Chapelle before but I put this on in the car last weekend when I was on a long journey. I was expecting it just to be toilet humor/cheap shots at Trans people. I didn't find it particularly funny and very nearly turned it off after 20 minutes but then he really got into it RE the story of his friend Dapne. I still wouldn't say it was funny but it was just a very interesting (albeit very sad) story of the pathetic cancel culture that exists today. There was nothing even remotely transphobic in it.... It was Kunts-phobic.

Personally, I am not afraid to say I am quite conservative by modern standards. The message that I took from it was that there are kunts in almost every single grouping in society that give that grouping a bad name (Trans / Feminism / Football fans / Cyclists.....etc). When it comes to the trans community, I need to look past the loudmouths on twitter/boards etc shoving their cancel culture and other BS down our necks and think of the normal every day people in the community who just want to get on and live their lives as they wish themselves.

You really should find a couple suitable sources of current affairs and pay attention to what is going on if you can't see how events in one place influences the other.

One of the loudest proponents of right wing ideals in the US has the ear of significant individuals in politics in the UK and look at the mess that country is in as uber nationalism and anti-immigration rhetoric was allowed to gain a foothold. And, as announcements went yesterday, aside from continued stress and worry of many Irish people both in Ireland and the UK could lead to a hard-border on the Island again and I probably shouldn't have to tell you how bad that would be although it looks like I probably do.

As for mask mandates in the US. Just so I understand you correctly, you are saying that states (including 2 of the top 3) which have banned the use of mask mandates, specifically being used by school boards and businesses to try to keep their staff and service users safe from a Pandemic that has killed 1 in 500 Americans, because the conservative governors don't like them, is NOT facist, but a disparate group of who knows who they are or how many they are saying that a university should not hire someone with questionable views is? IS that what you are saying.

With respect to voter id. You're right many places has it, but the reason it is an issue in the US is because many of the areas enacting such laws are doing so knowing that Blacks are unlikely to make the effort it is required in many locations to actually get the cards. There is one county which only has the office open for registering for such cards for a couple hours a month on the last Wednesday of the month or something equally bizarre. That is why it is an issue because the legislation is being brought in knowing that the real world impact is that it will inhibit many more people from one community from voting than it will from another.

We should all be thankful that left wing ideologies travel more than right. It led to increased access to rights for women, for people from all backgrounds, for people to marry who they love etc, etc. At least you tacitly pointed out there is an issue with right wing ideologies.

As for the trans issue, just how impactful is that in Ireland? Have you been impacted by it in a negative way? Did you not grow up in a house where people of different genders shared a bathroom? Two of my colleagues are named Jamie and Francis. Not knowing who they are, would you refer to them as he, she, or they? People act like the use of ambiguous pro-nouns is A, something new, and B, something harmful when it is something that we have been doing since day dot. What exactly are you, fvp4, afraid of when you think of the 'trans movement'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I didn't think the Closer was transphobic, just that it wasn't particularly funny. I thought the first two Netflix shows were very good but this was just meh.

Maybe if he'd talked about something other than trans people and how he isn't transphobic, it might have been better.

pretty much this. It's madness to expect a statement like "transwomen are women" to be universally accepted as a fact.

It's not transphobic to acknowledge that transwomen aren't biological women.

If you then want to argue that "women" doesn't refer to biological women then that too is a nonsense.

I do admit that the US influences Ireland. But I get sources from lots of countries. I even read french, Spanish and German newspapers. I have family in Germany. I also follow news from Mexico where I used to live. I’m reading the works of Xi Jinping. You should try that, or even read what the US is doing outside it’s borders rather than within.. Like Yemen. try not to lecture people on reading more when your focus is narrow and imperialist.

as for the trans movement it has little effect on me personally but it will potentially effect women here and across the west fairly significantly. it will effect ireland more than your voter ID laws. In another country. Or some governor in another country removing the mandate for masks. Sweden doesn’t mandate masks. However if it’s not on CNN it’s not real to you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Asking/telling people to suspend reality and logic is an impossible task. Whilst it may work for young impressionable people and the always offended social justice crowd, it hits a stumbling block when it arrives at the door of folk who are able to use their critical thinking skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They weren't thought ,and yet zero discussion about the other two who were also suspended typically trans I'm being attacked for being trans and speaking ,

Self victimology 101

They were suspended over it.

They were invited to a zoom conference by a director those are the facts.

Read the story.

I read a link was shared not that the three people were specifically invited ,nor was anyone suspended for voicing trans stuff against Chapelle

The use of critical thinking would should that the wheel has turned to the point where the always offended crowd are spending their time starting threads on Boards complaining about things.

The wokeism of the day thread is a parody at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s true, asking or telling anyone to suspect reality and logic is an almost impossible task (takes a skilled magician), but there’s no doubt it’s much easier to have people suspend reality and logic by feeding into their already held prejudices. It works on anyone btw, regardless of their age, maturity, whether they’re perpetually offended or otherwise. Hell it even works regardless of the colour of their skin!

It’s most effective when people are persuaded to abandon their critical thinking skills, such as anyone trying to convince people that ragging on people who are transgender for solid hour isn’t transphobic. Objectively, logically, in reality - that’s exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Starfire20

I find it amusing that conservatives / people on the right, are so afraid of change that they resist it as much as possible. You could even say they are outraged and offended that society is changing and that bigoted views are less tolerated than before. When people get called out for their bigotry, the usual shriek is that the bigot is being cancelled. Oh noes, I cant say what I want without push-back anymore!! Moves to be more inclusive of transpeople are opposed and a sort of social apatheid is proposed instead, usually under the guise of being fair to cis gendered women. Go back 30 years and you had a lot of the same guff about gay people. You're on the wrong side of history lads. Sad.

You're on the wrong side of reality if you think there's no difference between men and women apart from what they identify as.

Wonder if it's down to the consumption of energy drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Starfire20

Never said there was no difference but I have no problem accepting a transwomen as a women. I am happy to be more inclusive. I just think it's a pity others show such intolerance / hostility towards them. But you do you.

So you know there is a difference between a biological man and a woman, but you think you are being tolerant by accepting a biological man is a woman?

That's what we call lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Please quote examples of the "sh1te" she is spouting?

Maybe she is very rich and powerful therefore cancelling her is not so easy as others, such as Prof Kathleen Stock, but it still does not protect her from this disgusting abuse.

All you will get in reply is she's a terf who deserves it ,

I personally think it's more down to she's a successful woman who a minority of men who self identify as women fell jealous of ,

Strong single woman who captivated hundreds of millions of people who love her books and characters Vs self anointed activists who are either men or very unhappy females

That's very disingenuous. What abuse do you think trans people who go public about their process experience?

Is this all down to whoever is insulted the most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Let's not confuse a small minority of activists with society.

Vast majority of people have zero interest in the whole " trans " thing .

Advertisement