Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

If you are jumping woc quickly very unbalanced cells. You can try and get the passive balancer to help will take a lot of cycles to correct. Pull cells out and manually charge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wolfbang

@Clf , I disabled backup mode but the battery continued to operate as previous, not going in to standby, so I guess that is how it should be operating.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting OV_ILLC alarm just when the battery is doing final charge to 100pc and voltage goes over 56v. Is this something I should be concerned on? The alarm resets after about 30 mins. Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

@championc makes a good point. What BMS version do you have, (10E, 10C or 10D)? Do you have the latest inverter firmware, the last update i got brought it to 470044. The combinations that work for me are:

BMS protocol: SMA_SF | Inverter battery type: User-defined, AOBO(+0.5V), Lead Acid

BMS protocol: GINL | Inverter battery type: User-defined, PYLON_LV, Kodak(+0.5V), Fox(+0.5V), Lead Acid

I use PYLON_LV because it is the only combination that doesn't alter the charge voltage received from the BMS.

The manual details an OV_ILLC alarm as "LLC Hardware Overcurrent" with solution - restart the inverter!

I have a v2.0, I believe that maps to 10E?. The firmware version is 3E0039 so a little older than yours. I see in page 28 of this thread some contributors have made the same observation that the battery is continuously exporting a trickle KW amount. Really it is not an issue for me, I just want to ensure that charging batteries to 100% will not overly impact life of product and avoid the OV-ILLC error. For a test I reduce the overvoltage to 57V last night, trying to keep BMS voltage below 56.5V which going above seemed to trigger OV-ILLC alarm (66.7V peak on alarm), and with just this change the BMS actually does go to sleep and I had to use the reset button to get it working again this morning. Very hard to understand the control logic between the Inverter and BMS.

Open a support ticket with Solis and get the inverter updated. I had that firmware version and had battery sleeping issues. When filling in the ticket be sure to tell them you have a Pylon battery and not a DIY or they wont update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I had a similar problem to you @wolfbang . Check if the intermittent charge setting is on. If so, turn it off.

@garo, I just checked and it is turned on. Is it the OV-ILLC issue you encountered or the original issue I had with the battery not coming out of standby?

@Clf , I got the firmware updated today. Will see how it goes tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rob99

Just hooked up my 2 seplos battery packs to my sunsynk inverter and now I can only connect to the "slave" battery using battery monitor. I can't get any connection to the master battery any longer. Only thing that's changed is that the master battery is now connected to the inverter through the CAN port but battery monitor uses the RS485 ports. What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Nothing. That's the way it is. Goodness knows why they didn't gives access to the Master - bonkers really

Oh how bizarre! At least it's not something I've done.......

• Advertisement

@Clf , @garo I check this morning and everything seems to be working as expected but I would like your input on spike I am seeing on the voltage just as it charges from 99 to 100%. The voltage spikes up to 57.45V. Should the BMS overvoltage protection setting (set to 56.5V, protection switch disabled) not tell the inverter to not let charge voltage above 56.5V. I have the inverter overvoltage at 60v as per @Clf settings. I had been recommended by another source to set the inverter overvoltage to <58V but this seems to cause the BMS to go in to standby and stay there.

Does the behaviour in the graph look correct?

Anybody know what this error message means? It appeared after a cell over voltage protection shut down when charging.

You should be able to see both batteries in battery monitor. You need to switch the pack light. I can see mine my Bluetooth will only allow me to connect to master pack. As it is listed as bp00.

Not sure what you're trying to say....."switch the pack light" ??

I can connect to each pack but they have this error message. Do you know what it means and how I can get rid of it?

You stated you could not connect to the slave earlier. Once connected to the master. If you click on pack 1 on right hand side it should connect to that pack.

As I said in my earlier post, you can't connect to both packs when you have the master connected to the inverter on CAN and bluetooth is not an option.

Anyway, my issue is the error message

You can connect up to 16 packs with battery monitor. Max I have had is 3 on connection. Is the message not relating to it's at 100% and needs to taper off before it can draw back from grid or solar

Intermittent power supply comes on when the BMS hits 96% is about the mos tube turns it's self on and off.

What does it mean when the cell symbols on the left hand side of battery monitor are flashing?

Is it the passive balancer doing something?

This is really weird, but hopefully in a good way!

After having to disconnect comms cables from inverter and battery to sort out RS485 connections, now everything is reconnected I have the master battery BMS communicating with the inverter but I can now also connect to BOTH battery packs in Battery Monitor.

I'm not sure why this now works but I have a suspicion it is to do with the CAN connection on the battery. Previously all 8 pins were connected between inverter and master battery CAN/RS485 connection. Since I needed to make up a cable to split out the RS485 pins from the inverter, only the CAN pins 4/5 are connected to the battery, and none of the other pins.

I'm thinking that with the battery not sensing any RS485 connection on the dual CAN/RS485 port it doesn't then disable comms with the master battery and allows master and any slave batteries to be seen in battery monitor via the standard RS485 ports. Not sure if this is a bug in the firmware or an unintended consequence. Hopefully the latter.

Certainly makes it far easier to monitor and reconfigure any BMS settings without having to constantly haul myself up and down the loft ladder to swap cables about between batteries.

Hope that helps others having similar frustrations with battery monitor and multiple battery packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Folks,

Just as an FYI I've one of these for sale if anyone's interested.

Just gathering dust in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Interesting. So on the SEPLOS End, the cable towards the inverter is just using pins 4 & 5 (on the RJ45) ?

Yes that’s it, just pins 4 and 5, the middle two

Thats how i have it setup also. Split out the CAN H&L lines and RS485 from the CAN port, i have the H&L lines diverted to a CAN hat on a raspberry pi to read out the comms to the inverter, useful for problem solving. With a Solis inverter you can use Waveshare RS485 to ETH devices to read data from each BMS and maintain the cloud stick.

Thats exactly what I'm doing - RS485/Modbus connection direct to my Sunsynk inverter. I have to say, now I've got the connection sorted (cough), the info I'm getting out in real time and into my Loxone system is great. I won't need either the Sunsynk app or their cloud system in future as everything will be local.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Everything local, plan for services to fail 😂.

Only thing I have is the tado..

Yep, internet goes down..........no problem as I don't rely on cloud services. Mind you, kids will have a whinge as no streaming TV or music. LOL

Seplos BMS v2 Charging Current Restricted to 100A

I have one of my Seplos battery packs connected to my Sunsynk 8kW inverter but even though I set the inverter to charge at 150A (0.5C on a 304Ah pack) it seems like the BMS is restricting the actual charge to only 100A according to the BMS page on the inverter.

I've looked at the BMS settings but can't see anything which suggests this current limit is changeable so don't know why a 200A BMS is restricting the charge current. The only thing I did see was that there is a function switch in battery monitor for setting "Single BMS 1.0C Charging" but worried that it's the wrong thing to switch on.

Any thoughts?

Yes turn that on, it will set the limit at the input value less 10A. When it’s off it halves the charge limit. Looks like your BMS is set at 200A, change to 160A and turn on single 1C, to give 150A limit

• Advertisement

Do you know which parameter number is the one i need to change?

Advertisement