Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I’m using AoBo. I couldn’t get pylontech to work. I’m on the older BMS

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

I have mine set similar, 3,450 down to 3.4. Need to look though as I am not reaching 3.450 during charging to 100% SOC. Running between 2.970 (15%) and 3.430 (100%) SOC. My cells were all give a capacity of more than the 302 spec so that probably why.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dermotx

I watched this video because I just bought the version 3 BMS and was regretting it. However Andy has since made recommendations to Seplos which they have implemented in Firmware (Software?) version 0.5. Andy is now very pleased with the Seplos version 3 and has given it 4 out of 5, much to my relief😀.

Here's link to his follow up video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_J-lGppHg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

The Firmware update was for passive balancing.

I have the v3 + Active Balancing board and it works very well.

That's great. Glad to hear it. I didn't get the active balancing board. Do you have a Solis inverter? I see version 3 controls the negative of the battery. Do you have your isolating switch and fuse on the positive still? I can't see it making any difference though.

• Advertisement

Yes, Solis S5 5kw inverter.

That's correct, Seplos BMS v3 switches the negative line.

The internal 400A fuse is placed on the positive one. Personally I think this fuse is oversized, I think it should be no more than 250A for a mason kit with a 200A max BMS.

Then I have a 2 pole non-polarised DC Circuit Breaker for both wires in case of any maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcmorrowg

Hi all, im on the last step of my seplos mason install. The cabling has been a bit of a struggle so far. The installer did the work for the old Dyness batteries.

The cables on the top go to the solis invertor, below are the old Dyness cables, black still connected, and the new Cable to the seplos.

What do you think is the easiest next step? Cut and re-crimp or is there alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yup, snip the lug off and either insert the strands as is into the breaker or I would to prefer to add a ferrule like you already have there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Or maybe bend that connector into a cylinder type shape, and insert it into the mcb

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Is this the the active balancer that seplos supply with it(as an extra option)? If yes does it have the abily to automatically switch on and off by your set voltage? Seeing very little video or documentation online on it. I suppose cause it's new

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. What settings do you use for CAN communication on the Solis AND on the Seplos please? The Seplos manual doesn't mention Solis but their web site says to use Ginlong_CAN in the BMS software. It mentions an LCD setting of 7.

Yes. It balances everything and automatically switches off the balancing after 24h. So I would press the back button once a month or so.

To work with Solis inverters you need:

- select "Sofar" protocol on the BMS

- select "AoBo" as battery type on inverter.

CAN works flawlessly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

What do you mean the back button? Do you have to manually start it once a month?

There is a switch on the back of the Seplos Mason Kit that you have to press to start the active balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Cam you parallel two different battery packs with two different BMS. So connect my Seplos Manson to the inverter via CAN and 485 to the other battery with the PACE BMS?

Thanks, i snipped it off and put a ferrule on it. All connected up now on the power side. Just need to sort the comms connection to the Solis hybrid invertor now.

What type of data cable do you use for this? I have an old Dyness data cable, would it work or do i need to crimp a new one? If i need to crimp do you have details of wiring? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

For those who are parallel connecting Seplos Mason battery packs with 10E BMS here are the settings that seplos support gave me, might save someone time in the future

Dip switches aren't used

Connect with normal network cables as shown in pic

Turn off setting as shown in pic

Finally seplos tell me that when batteries are connected in parallel you cannot see the master information in the "battery monitor" software - it can only be seen via the bluetooth app

There was a post a few weeks back that confirmed that you CAN see the Master in Battery Monitor, if the cable is just two wire

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

Master can be seen in software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

What size cable did you use from the insolator to battery pack.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have a Seplos problem or a Solis problem so forgive me if this is in the wrong thread.

I finished assembling my 16 x 305AH cells on Thursday with the help of all the guidance here and I was surprised how well it went. I had no trouble with CAN or RS485 communication. A bit naive of me, I know🙂

I have the new Seplos 3 type A, 100A BMS without active balancer and my inverter is a Solis RHI-3K-48ES-5G. In the Solis I have battery type as AoBo and in the Seplos BMS I have Sofar CAN.

I tested the capacity of all the cells by charging them individually up to near 3.65V and discharged them to 2.6V and the they were all within 10AH of the nominal capacity of 305AH.

I then connected them up to the inverter and BMS and charged them up to what the BMS said was 100% SOC, which I guessed was probably wrong.

Finally I top balanced them by connecting them in parallel, 8 cells at a time and charged them with my 10A bench power supply to 3.65v. This took about 12 hours for each set.

Then I connected them back up in series and everything worked as expected; I was powering everything from the batteries. Great sez I, time to celebrate with a few cans🙂

I got more ambitious then and decided to set the charging time (on the inverter) for charging my batteries from the grid. I set it to charge from 2AM to 5AM and set the discharge time to grid at zero,i.e. from 00.00 to 00.00.

At 02.10 I got on the inverter Alarm code: 1051 which is OV-Vbatt-H. I didn't do anything about it because I was in bed asleep but the advice was to restart the inverter.

At 08.30 another alarm appeared, from the Solis inverter, Alarm code: 1055, which is: NO-Battery. I was now not getting any power from the batteries.

The recommendation to rectify these alarms from Solis is to restart the inverter, which I did, to no avail.

I'm attaching two screen grabs, one of the Solis screen and the other of the Seplos System Monitor where everything appears to be fine but I'm still getting the NO-Battery alarm from the Solis inverter. What appears very strange is that even though the Solis inverter says NO-Batt it is still able to read the 96% battery capacity!

On the Seplos BMS itself I'm getting the RUN LED flashing ON for 0.5 second and OFF for 1.5 second which the manual describes as Blink3. But the funny thing is the 4 capacity indicating LEDs are off even though in the Seplos System Monitor it is showing 96% capacity! (I've emailed Seplos this afternoon about this and am awaiting their reply)

To troubleshoot I have restarted the inverter, changed the battery type from AoBo to Pylon and back again to AoBo to no effect. I reset the BMS and completely disconnected it and reconnected, still get the NO-Battery alarm. I deleted the charging time from grid to battery and restarted the inverter, still no joy. The physical connections are all ok.

Sorry for the long description but this has me completely flummoxed. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dermot

Post edited by dermotx on

No, but I'll try that tomorrow. I've emailed both Seplos and Solis because I don't know which of them is producing the problem. Unfortunately it's Chinese New Year so I don't expect any replies for a while. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beware that Solis does not support non approved batteries, heres the official wording;

We would like to kindly inform you that Solis strictly advises against using mismatched batteries. If you encounter any issues while using non-compatible batteries, it will be challenging for us to troubleshoot the problem as we have not defined logic in the inverter for such scenarios. Our user manual clearly states that if the inverter gets damaged and we find non-compatible batteries, it may affect the warranty or replacement coverage for your inverter. To ensure optimal performance and avoid any potential complications, we recommend using batteries that are specifically compatible with our inverters, as listed in the product documentation. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

The Solis put up the error. I would start there. Check the control parameters on soils. Here is what is working for me under the aobo. Each time you select a different battery profile, and go back to aobo, any changes you make will be lost

My views are my own.

Can you also go into the Seplos settings, take a few pictures of these and share.

My views are my own.

I also nottice in the Seplos you have com7 selected. Is this what you had when you originally had it going.

My views are my own.

You want to avoid this like the plague.

You don't want the inverter guesstimating the SOC%, basing it's calculations on a Lead-Acid charging curve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Solis user defined is different from the sofar one, it's fine to use, doesn't guess SoC.

Advertisement