Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sligobuck

Glad to see that Andy finally figured out how to use the Seplos BMS after lots of us telling him ours were working fine without active balancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I saw it while I am still pontificating around getting solar and 2 mason's due to some other one off big costs coming up however I expect it is something that will happen.

How are your 4 holding up?

Running trouble free since the install on the Sofar inverter, the only parameters I changed from as supplied were parameter 4 to 3.5v and parameter 14 to 56v to get some more longevity from the packs.

I just checked now for the first time in months with very few 100% cycles and the packs are all balanced between 2 to 3mV.

A good top balance is all they ever got prior to the build and they have been bullet proof since.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Of course if your cells are perfectly top balanced, you don't need much balancing once deployed. But top balancing takes forever, particularly if you have more than just the bare minimum 16 cells. All this time your battery is not working for you, so you are losing money and not being green. And passive balancing completely wastes electricity by discharging high cells into heat. And this test is obviously not showing that cells go out of balance over time and the inability and inefficiency of a passive balancing BMS to deal with this

Imho, there is zero reason to buy a Seplos (with only passive balancing) now over a similar price JK BMS with active balancing - the latest version has CAN comms

"not being green" Wow enough said....I will leave this rabbit hole alone and enjoy my Seplos batteries working as intended!

• Advertisement

No need to be so defensive. Each to their own, if you have the time and the patience to top balance your battery, by all means do it. I don't have either and I want those expensive cells to work for me immeditately 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

Using full cost units for several days could be expensive. Today and yesterday in Dublin are absolutely shocking

And I think every BMS has balancing, but some obviously do it better than others.

Anyone got a 48100 10C model v2.8 firmware for a Sofar ?

There is a Victorian version floating around online and it likely supports Victron plus all the others, but .....

The filename is CAN1101[FW28-DFSET-........

EDIT: I got it from Seplos. There only seems to be one v2.8 which was optimized for Victron & SMA

Andy in Off-Grid-Garage confirmed too that you can go backward and forwards all you like. It seems the v1 Seplos had three firmwares - V2.7, v2.8 (Andy's favourite) & v2.9

Post edited by championc on

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ddonq1412

I have recently bought some cells and seplos mason 280l case. it should include everything i need build the battery. At present on the install it took some time but was powering on to 51v. I plugged it to my solis inverter and set a force charge for 3 hours to try and charge it to full. After a few mins is jumped to 100% it will start to drain and after 2 mins it switches off. What am i best to do. when starting and plugging them in to case i used a multimeter and lowest cell was 3.18 and the largest was 3.24. There is meant to have passive balancing that would burn the battery excess when charging to try and keep them in similar ranges. Any suggestions what i can do to fix it or help troubleshoot it.

15s or 16s ?

• Advertisement

16S. have have turned off alot of settings on the bms and put the inverter to lead acid mode the voltage it up to 53v. its charging at 10amps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Currently at 54v. This will be due to stop shortly as my sun is gone for the night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Battery could do with a top balance, 2 cells are running high with the rest at 3.3 X

Either hold it at 55v and let the passive balancer work (possibly a few days) or disassemble, put them all in parallel and charge to 3.65v

It's a bit out of balance, but it's almost fully charged, so I wouldn't worry about that too much

What I would worry about is that the Seplos thinks your battery is only 47% charged. That's completely wrong and will impact severely on how usable your battery is. Perhaps fully charge and then fully discharge a few times and see does that improve. I hope it will.

I have adjusted the soc and rated capacity to get it to drop low enough to get the cells to charge for a bit. The inverter says they have charged about 3 kw today. Some of that would be burnt on the passive balancing on the higher cells. Originally the cells would jump from 100% to zero in a minute. Flapping a lot of errors.

Have turned the battery off for tonight for it up 53.1v voltage difference is 5mv.

All cells show 3.3v on a multimeter. Might switch BMS to a jk bms as it have an active balancer it should get the cells to settle with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

Or just buy a neey and leave it to work away quietly sorting it out.

• Advertisement

Have the cells connected to a jk bms with a 2 amp active balancer still not able to get the cells to take a good charge was able to run 8kw out of the pack but it won't charge up the same 8kw. Charges 1 kw and says battery full.

Can anyone help with a Seplos support email address please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭munsterfan2

alan@seplos.com worked when I had questions, he was very responsive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Alan is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

try annie@seplos.com, she is sales but does get answers from the technicians. she will whatsapp you also. you could also try the contact form on the website

I have used Henry from seplos have him on whatsapp, They are in a national holiday this week so support from them will be limited.

Looking for some advise on how to reset the cycle counter. Currently showing 121. I attempted to put cells in right away and let unit charge but that ended in disaster so I went to top balance them with jk bms and Parralel connecting the cells for 2 days. But would like to get the cycle counter down to 0 or 1 as the BMS is doing its learning process at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Believe you can do that via hooking up a laptop and using the Seplos GUI

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement