Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Is there a way to turn off the passive balancing on Seplos BMS (v2 or v3)?

I want to use a dedicated Active Balancer to take care of balancing instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I would imagine if you set the balance trigger to something like 500mv then the JK BMS will not balance at all. May be nice to have redundancy thou so I would wonder would 250-300mv be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcmorrowg

Hi, What is the difference between the Type A, B and C seplos BMS? Is it true on the the type A will work with a Solis invertor? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Void777

Hi Guys

Total noob here, is it normal for the bus volatge & battery voltage to be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rob99

Hi All

Just come across this discussion a few days ago and have been reading up on the Seplos BMS.

I've just built up a pair of 280L kits with EVE 304K cells to use with my Sunsynk 8kW inverter so will no doubt be asking lots of newbie questions so bear with me.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes. The difference between the two determines the charge/discharge rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

16 cells in each case, 15.5kWh per battery pack so 31kWh total. This is a pic of one in progress before I'd fitted and wired up the BMS.

Sorry, don't know why it's not oriented correctly. Couldn't see an option to rotate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Nice. I have 4 of those ordered myself, except with grade A 280k Eves. Curious did you order the newer seplos V3 BMS? Also did you get their 2a active balancer? I don't see much data or testing of these online yet as they are relatively new.

Mine have the V2 BMS so no active balancer. I think Andy (off grid garage) may have done a YT video of the V3 BMS as its listed on his BMS spreadsheet

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Yea I watched his videos on the v3 BMS which seems to be good now. Seplos have fixed issues with a. Firmware update. Nothing from him yet on the 2a active balancer offered from seplos with their kits. I sort of regretfully went for them (extra $50). I prob should have just put my own neey ones(at an extra cost) in, as they have community support.

In the Seplos Battery Monitor, when I export and review the parameter file I can see all of the parameters 0-86 but can't see anywhere where the function switches are shown.

Is there a way to include the function switches in the parameter file so I can save all settings as a single set of backup files?

Also, the parameter file includes a range of hex bit parameters (0 to 7) at the bottom of the list. What are these for as coudn't think where they might be on the battery monitor screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wolfbang

Hi All,

I am a newbie to both DIY batteries and posting on Boards so apologies if I unintentionally break etiquette or my post is not well formed but I really could use some help and guidance with my Kit.

I have done a DIY PV solar installation with a Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Inverter and 7 days ago I added a DIY battery with a Seplos 2.0 150A BMS and 16s 280kAH EVE Batteries. I have selected battery as PYLON_LV. The problem I have is that after doing a full charge to voltage cutoff(at night or yesterday on a sunny day with PV panels powering house for most of the day) the battery may not start to discharge when power from PV panels is not adequate or after sun is gone down. I have tried several settings on both inverter and BMS but non have worked.

Two times in the last week the battery has started discharging roughly about one hour after my charge time period set in inverter has expired. I have set charge to be 2AM-5AM to take advantage of low tariff. My expectation was that the battery would started powering the house after 5AM while there is no output from the PV panels. One of the mornings the inverter started pulling power from the battery around 6.15AM and worked away fine for the day pulling from the battery when solar power dropped and feeding back in to the battery when solar power exceeded the house's requirements. Yesterday morning the battery started discharging at about 5.45AM

Yesterday was quiet Sunny (well enough to power the house at least) and the battery was fully charged (95%) for most of the day after initially dropping to about 89% in the morning. In the evening the after the sun was gone the battery never started discharging and after about 3 hours I had to power down and back up again the inverter following the recommended steps in the documentation. Once powered back up the battery starts discharging. I have had to do this several times over the last week (maybe 4) to enable the battery to begin discharge. On the inverter screen it shows the arrow pointing from the battery to the inverter but no power been drawn. The one trend I have noticed is hat the longer the battery sits in standby after full charge the less likely it is to recover. In case it makes a difference I currently have the overvoltage setting in Inverter at 57V as at 56V it was only charging to 50-60% SOC. I am considering dropping it to 56.5v.

I would appreciate any help or tips from this group. I hope it is a simple setting tweak but I am nearly out of ideas at this stage. Thanks in advance for any help

Post edited by wolfbang on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

try these settings:

inverter overvoltage 60V

BMS total overvoltage protection 56V - the inverter uses this as the charge voltage

BMS total overvoltage alarm 55.2V

BMS cell overvoltage protection 3.65V

BMS cell overvoltage alarm 3.45V

BMS total overvoltage protection function switch - turn off

If your battery still stays asleep after these settings are applied you may need a firmware update

Thanks for the reply @Clf . I have applied the settings and waiting to see now what will happens in the morning.

I should add that there was no "total overvoltage alarm" so I set the "overpressure alarm" to 55.2. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

Is there a way to edit the parameter names?

Mine has confusing words like "monomer" instead of cell and "pressure" instead of voltage but the BMS that I see on Andy's videos are all in nice plain english.

I tried editing the xml file to see if I could change the names but only the parameter values change, nothing else

@Clf , I ran with your settings for last two nights but also inadvertly with backup mode enabled. When in Backup mode the battery never appears to go into standby mode.

With the settings you recommend the battery charged to 100pc and while the charge voltage was generally less than 56v it did temporarily shoot up to 57v.

Should I be trying to keep the highest SOC less than 100pc to maximise life of batteries. I have seen recommendations from 80pc to 95pc but also lots of people talking about charging to 100pc.

I will disable backup mode in the Solis inverter and see if system works as expected with Backup mode disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Puitl

Hello guy´s, I havent´been here for a while - now two questions (Seplos BMS first Generation (1101-SP16) with SW-Version 2.7):

1) When there is no full-charge a few days my SOC jumps from 90 to 100% on the next sunny day with full charge. In other words: My SOC is sinking about 3% every day without a full charge. So i think the current-shunt calibration is not correct, right? Or is that negligible?

Is it difficult to calibrate the shunt?

2) Now i my CVL is 55,6V (=3,475V per cell) and balancing starts at 3,45V. I have added passive-balancers additionally and everything is working fine in this setup: Does it make sense to do a FW-Update? Are there any usable improvements like voltage-reducing at the end of the charge/balncing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

DON'T do a FW update. I did, and the charge rate droped off way before it did previously. I then went a re-flashed v2.7, and despite an on-screen OK, bricked my two boards.

They are now en-route back to Seplos for re-flashing 😔

Where do you find the firmware version info?

Is it shown in battery monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puitl

Ah, I assume it's this then.

Missed it before as my window was quite small so lost some text!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bax2023

Can you keep me posted with this. I am having similar issues. SOC is all over the place. one minute is 100% the next it's 20% or 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bax2023

Hi.

Where on the solis inverter do I find the parameter "inverter overvoltage 60V".

Thanks

It is in Control parameters under battery setup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

Should all parameters getting into the Solis not come from the Seplos ? I think the selected "battery type" for a Solis should be AoBo ?

I'm only familiar with the Sofar and we select General Lithium, and the only parameter configured on the Sofar is the DOD% (from what I remember)

• Advertisement

I would really like to know if there is any good documentation on what is the function off all the settings and switches in seplos and how the inverter uses these configuration settings ( probably inverter dependant). It all seems like black magic to me:) The seplos BMS user manual does not convert all the different settings.

I am setting the battery in inverter as PYLON_LV but have also used user defined mode. I think the recommendation is to use Pylon settings

Advertisement