Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Touché

And here was me thinking that at this stage I was an eperienced battery builder 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

So behaving ok the last few days thank god.

Couple of things I'm noticing that I might be able to sort via settings?

1) Battery stopped discharging bang on 30% last night even though so far is set at 80%, looks like one of the batteries ran away. Is this ok? Should I do anything to try and get it to discharge to lower?

2) Only charging at max 1.6kw, I'm almost certain I've set it to 60A in the sofar?Anything to do to improve this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

looks like it stopped when one cell hit 2.9V - That is likely a setting in the seplos. Are you in a 2p config?

What is your top end like, ideally at 99% and still under charge? If its well balanced you could start moving cells around to close that spread at the bottom end.

Max charge rate is likely set from the seplos also. If you look in the information on the me3000, you can see what the bms is telling the inverter what its max charge and discharge rates are.

2p config

Graph below is 99% under charge.

Will need to look closer so at the seplos settings, i find them complicated.

Parameter file linked below

your battery is "more or less full"

Dont have the seplos, so Cant help you of what parameters to change.

had a look at the xml, they seem to call voltage "pressure"

Alarm should stop the inverter gracefully, Protection the seplos will yank the power and cut the battery off from the inverter.

To balance out the battery with the neey, you possibly could use default mode (actual settings dont really matter as long as the soc is calculated below 90%), and set the max charge at say 55v, and force a charge at 500-1000w and hold that charge (float) until all cells reach 3.43.

Bump the voltage to 56, repeat, until all cells reach 3.5, then 57, then 58.

the last couple of steps wont take that long, once you have all cells above 3.4.

Or an external power supply would work too if it can reach a high enough voltage.

after all that is done, the battery will be top balanced.

at the next full discharge you will be able to find your "lowest" pairs and the highest pairs, a bit of trial and error here you can swap one of the cells to make 2 average batteries instead of a good and bad one

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of that, I thought the Neey would do all of that for me without having to hold the float. I need to spend more time with my batteries is what you are saying 😂

doing the float just gives the neey more time to do what it needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭munsterfan2

Just got around to turning off the seplos equalization, I have a pi hooked up to the BMS for monitoring with homeassistant so had to hook laptop up. Changed these to off and did a set all.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

For those of you that are using SEPLOS_MQTT integration, how do you create the MQTT Sensors in HA?

I've managed to get the MQTT broker setup and data is sent via USB/PI to HA. However, I'm not sure of the next steps to create the sensors and create the dashboard like so.

Any pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭munsterfan2

In HA, go to settings, "Devices & Services" and you should see the MQTT integration. click on the <number> entities under mqtt and you should see them listed

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pointers.

Up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ipdialup

Hi,

Found this thread, just got this BMS and trying to hook it up to Solis RAI-3.0KW 48ES 5G.

Encoutered some weird problems though.

The Solis doesn't like the Seplos Pylon Protocol, get CanBus Fail when attempting to use it, have to set the inverter to User Define, with the SEPLOS on PYLON, have asked SEPLOS about this.

One other weird thing I've come across, the CANBUS coms to the inverter seems to fail if I hookup the RS485 port to my laptop.

Seems I can't have them running both at the same time, is their a setting I've missed somewhere in the BMS software?

Thanks,

Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

Have you your cables in the correct sockets ? The canbus is nearest the Red DIP switches.

As you can see here, I have both simultaneously hooked up and the RS485 goes to a Pi and is constantly retrieving cell voltages and other params.

On the Solis, I think you need AoBo or something like that. I think it's then Sofar on the Seplos side (happy to be corrected)

Update on my issue, put back in the dodgy Seplos, it shut down again, dumped a log and sent to their support. Support agreed that the device was faulty and are sending me a new one. Job.

Anyone know where I can increase the max charging current/power of the seplos? Currently set somewhere to 1.610kw

Has anyone successfully set the Total_capacity on Seplos to 800.00Ah? I'm trying to set it on my 40kWh build but I keep getting an error.

Seplos can only handle 500Ah, above that it starts to behave in a funny way. A regular on here found that out and had to get rid of it. I think it might have been @irish chris

Damn. Anyone else seeing this?

Any recommendations on a BMS that can handle 800Ah, is well supported and intuitive to configure (Home Assistant integration a plus)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

Not me unfortunately as still on 400ah (20kw) at the min

Post edited by irishchris on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Is there any way to prevent the BMS from throwing a warn and turning off when the Solis inverter requests high current?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Big Lar

@jasgrif11 I got your PM but it may be more beneficial to everyone else if I answer the question publicly.

I never found a solution to the SEPLOS capacity limit so I sold it on and purchased JK BMS.

Using ESP32 board to connect JKBMS to Home assistant - https://github.com/syssi/esphome-jk-bms and have it setup as Lead Acid Battery. I have all the info then I need for any automations after that.

I have one small issue with the JK BMS which I think maybe is a miscalculation in the BMS settings(Or it could be a battery capacity issue) in that the Battery SOC stops discharging at 30% SOC as the inverter is set to stop discharging from the battery @ 48V, but then when it charges from 30-100% the battery seems to consume ~24Kw which would be correct for a 30Kw battery. I also think the the voltage range on the lead acid battery setting in the Solis inverter would be more suited to a 15s setup rather than 16s. Anyways am waiting until the long nights and then I will be able to diagnose the issue further as at that stage I will be fully charging and discharging daily.

There is also a Github project out there to connect the JK directly to the Solis inverter via Canbus but I never got around to that because what I have suits fine, could be wrong but I do believe that I did read somewhere that @graememk may have that system on the go.

The inverter updates every 5mins and BMS updates every few seconds which leads to the discrepancies in the on the pic attached, I have the source of each gauge labeled.

just wondering those with seplos + sofar, what is your charging power. I think mines very low at 1.6kw can't seem to increase it?

Take out the seplos and check the charging rate then. If you get the full 3.2kW the Sofar ME3000SP is capable of, you know that the seplos was the problem

Personally I didn't like either and got rid of them, replaced by much superior JK BMS and Sunsynk inverter

Good call, I might actually look to force 3kw using home assistant first to see what happens.

Just checked there and I tried forcing 3kw and it still capped out at 1.62kw

I think there's some setting that I need to change in seplos but can't see it.

Thought it might be cabling but it's discharging at 2.6max so I don't think it's that.

If you go to the information on the sofar what is the charge and discharge current at?

You can't force anything onto the battery unless you remove seplos from the circuit.

• Advertisement

Looking at the xml file looks like there's a few variables I can change all right, a lot are alarms though rather than thresholds.

<parameter>

<Name>Charging overcurrent warning</Name>

<Value>60.00</Value>

<Unit>A</Unit>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<Name>Charging overcurrent recovery</Name>

<Value>60.00</Value>

<Unit>A</Unit>

</parameter>

<parameter>

<Name>Discharge overcurrent warning</Name>