Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

No matter what people did, we were going to be caught for the price of fert. A friend of mine who works for a merchant said they'll just sit on it. Farmers will need it before it'll go off. Their playing the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

The large scale buyer will just buy off spot dealers who could be 3-400 cheaper

Exactly my point- they won’t drop prices until the stock is gone- the loyal customer pays the price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Problem will be in 8-10 weeks time for some merchants. As some of them offload there stock they will be dropping prices substantially. No merchant can afford to have a couple hundred ton of stock in place if the price is dropping. At some stage you have to sell it especially as protected urea has a best before date

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Dont worry the co ops will put another stunt before prices will drop,I can garantee you local sellers wont be droping prices in the Spring .If they all hold prices dear what will a lad do if he needs the grass to grow ,you can be sure the old cowboys will strongly hold the line similar to electric suppliers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭older by the day

A lot of nice milk checks last summer, I bought a few extra pallets for the spring, did I pay too much? Going to be paying some tax at the higher tax rate, so were those extra few tonne expensive.

Plus I soil tested this week and every farmer will be given their limit in the future, so a few extra pallets running ahead might ease some of the pain

And who knows what way things go, people were saying that fert could not go above 700 a ton, then a thousand a ton. Hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not a hope- there’s never been so much fertiliser forward sold and sitting in lads yards- high priced stocks could be there for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If my local Arrabawn store anything to go by country is awash with fertiliser and I’d say most was ordered last autumn ….I’d say I’ve 60% plus of my nitrogen for year bought and 💯 of 0 7 30/0 10 20..best prices I’m hearing for urea is 860 and 860/870 for 0s …it’ll be may/June before farmers yards start to see sub 500 can in there yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Local coop yard is full here but has names on a lot of product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Would be March at least here before we could spread anything, have about 8 tonne of urea in my shed which will do me for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭kk.man

I know plenty of dairy ppl with loads in their yards. Big milk cheques helped plus tax was an issue. I don't see a firm holding the dear price if say firm A has sold all stocks but firm B has a yard near full. With lads flocking to firm A for the new cheapest stuff firm B will try to maintain market share and take a hit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The only fert that was bought last autumn was direct by farmers.most other merchants operate a type of a rebate/ coupon system with fert companies so it means there will be very little cheap independant qoutes.farmers are on the hook for the higher prices due to timing as much as anything else .for fertiliser its a bit like saying we wont cut the silage until the price of deisel goes down,the fert has to be in the merchants yard come what may in march and you cant ring up and say send on a ship monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭older by the day

And remember when we were trying to buy some pallets last year the price was increasing every week and it was the same fertilizer in the yard. I see, our local branch had a yard full last winter, bought before the war but sold at last may prices. So fukk them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I agree. I posted about it here this time last year and I said there’s no way all this product could be in merchants yard, after being sent half way around the world to get there, and after being manufactured before any major gas price rises, without the price being agreed before hand. But apparently when the prices were rising we were told that is the case and they all had no choice but to sell at the rising prices.

That should mean it will work the exact same this year and the stock in the yards, identical to this time last year, will be able to be sold at the lower prices as they wouldn’t have a price set yet.

I won’t hold my breath…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Who are theses merchants who bought hundreds of tonnes of fert at high prices, there isn’t a 50kg bag of fertiliser in any Co op yard around here and there hasn’t been for months, we were told that they weren’t buying any fert. We were also told that they weren’t even making it but now suddenly there’s any amount of it out there but they think farmers should bend over again like they did last Spring. The lies these thieving crooks come out with are something else, you couldn’t make it up especially since the price of gas has fallen 70% in the last four months. Of course they don’t want to talk about that anymore but loved mentioning it as it rose, there wasn’t much of a time lag between gas prices rising and fert prices rising. They had no gas forward bought at the cheaper prices but have lots of it forward bought at high prices now, funny that isn’t it. I can’t believe farmers are falling for their BS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Who said anyone is falling for it? Everybody makes their decision, either buy or don't, but it is still a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't think too many are falling for it. Sellers of fertiliser have farmers by the balls. They know it's needed, they know they can now charge what they like and will get it. For every stubborn farmer who won't pay up, there's 20,30,50 who will. And prices will stay high until one of the sellers drops prices then the rest will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Current uk price for admitedly a full load of standard Urea has Irish price equivalent of about 650-680/T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Whatever happened to the cheaper Russian fertiliser that the Irish factories journal ( kindly sponsored by Grassland Agro ) was bitching and moaning about a while back. Did the fertiliser cartel get that option shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Never a truer words, I was told last March by independent merchant that they agree to take so much but the price is set each week so was going up 200 euro a ton that week..absolute gougers the lot of them...

What fees or taxes would an Irish farmer pay on an artic load bought in the UK and brought back to Ireland. How many tonne on a 40 ft flatbed legally?

Smoke and mirrors to give themselves a nice margin, it's the cost per kg of N you want to know with some quotes given per 1,000l of product. To get urea above a 20percent solution needs heat to melt or ammonium nitrate in the mix which gets complicated for Ireland, though ASN types might be about? Iirc 63.15percent?? ratio of Urea to water is a 20 percent fertiliser solution but would need a fair bit of input to mix it that high.

Buying cheap Urea to melt you need to look up things like biuret(salts) content for scorch. For liquid you want dribble bars or caps which give a constant stream rather than a typical spray mist, not overly expensive if used. Liquid fert works faster and springs seem to be drier with little rain in April becoming the norm when the largest volumes of N are being applied to combinables.

Need an eori No. anyway i think, wouldnt know tbh thats just what it's availble direct from ports on the East coast to on farm currently.

Usually goes in loads of 25ton bags or 44/600kg bags to about fill a wagon.

They have us by the balls here so when there is restrictions on who can bring it into the country . as was proved last year they can charge what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

No idea if there's any fert specific regs but an eori no is a 2 second job on ros. Might be a little more complicated if not vat registered.

Transport company will charge €80 to clear it on top of whatever standard carriage rate.

Importing is pretty much the same as it was before Brexit when the eori box is ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

They will tell you pretty much the exact opposite of what they told you last year as regards what they have bought forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The biggest problem merchants and co-op have are the lads that have advanced purchased fertlizer that has to be delivered yet.

Around mid November I think I was in a Co-op store and a farmer was in there and had pre bought fertlizer. He was saying there would be war if the stuff in spring is cheaper. I say the big problem the suppliers face is squaring that circle.

If in February they land an artic of fertlizer into Johnny's yard that he paid 29k for last October and another of there artics swings into Paddy yard the following day 10k cheaper but bought in late January poor old Johnny will be upset.

By the way I did point out last September/ October that I could see no reason to forward buy fertlizer. I was told I was completely wrong with gas prices.

Unfortunately I am a small purchaser about 10-11T is my requirement. I will gamble on not buying until as well into February as possible and will then only buy 30% of my requirement to get me to late April/early May.

I have two big bags of Urea that e en get me Match. If prices are seriously cheaper in NI I will see about organising an artic and sell it out of the yard. It's time to think outside the box.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭alps

Advertisement