Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Urea can bind a bit in lumps, but doesnt go to powder or paste like can and some compounds. If it does happen and tip of a bar and you're back in business

I’m never going forward buying fertiliser until I need it regardless if it’s lower price now. Got burnt buying some end of last year, left outside and fecking crows making holes in it to top it off. i wouldn’t be able to afford buying some now for next year anyway the way farm prices are at versus input costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

One reason is hated being a sole trader, buying fert in December to keep the tax down and having big credit with the Co Op on account in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Normally if you are trying to solve a tax problem you should have the cash flow to pay or to pay for a large proportion up front.

It's a mistake some beef farmers make when you have excess cash you have to mind it. With Beef you tend to have a large amount of excess cash at times and it's the ability to hold onto this is key in the business

It amazing the amount of tanglers driving around now in new 222 and 231 LC with new IW trailers. Last year they made serious money on cows during May/June. The accountant will be giving them a copy of there accounts and there tax bill in another week or two. The KC and IW will only partially sol E the tax bill

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Most of these lads with the new cruisers are pension age or close to it and have good single farm payments. they’ll be well able for the tax bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone price 0 10 20 or 10 10 20 lately …quoted 520 for 10 10 20 and 700 for 0 10 20 (has to be a mistake )

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Paid 510 for a small bit of 10 10 20 for a reseed last week

No there is a core of them.in there late 40's into there 50's lads that always had 10-12 year old jeeps.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Sure what odds is it... if they can pay for it all...Good luck to them.

I was making the comment in regarding the management of cashflow and the tendancy of farmers to spend spend windfall profits

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Not just farmers do this. Most people are the same. Even the government are at it. Probably more enticing than paying a chunk of tax.

Post edited by dh1985 on

On the tax first of all. The LC only solves future tax issues that may or may not exist. It will not solve tax on a windfall profit issue. Windfall profits are better dealt with as a sole trader by using stock values, if available, pension investment, forward purchases of material's fencing Diesel, fertilizer etc ( although I was against that last Autumn so not an option last year IMO then). If you had land rented or leased payment of 2023 by cheque during the last week in December 2022 would give a year to solve the issue.

Buying any machinery only allows a 12.5% linear deduction. In the case of of the LC&Box probably a 65k investment it gives about 8K tax shield or knocks 4k off the bill andvthetbis presuming no trade in which could reduce the benefits by up to 50%

Most business people will not make that mistake. Admittedly most are in a company format and and the 15% rate shield the tax burden.

I am not totally accepting the Government argument either. Even the free spending noughties government when it got the Telecom Eireann sale money put it into a pension fund. The present Government intends to use windfall corporation tax to create rainy day fund.

Back to my original point it quite simply this if you have a windfall tax issue and use funds to alleviate it you should have the cash flow to do that and not worry about a bill when sales are low

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I think what bass was getting at thought is they’ll still have to pay majority of their tax bill. Jeeps can only be wrote off over a few years so they’ll have the tax bill and the expense of the jeep. Cash flow could become very tight then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭DBK1

Any lads around here with new land cruisers are lads that can afford them irrelevant of the tax bill they owe. I genuinely can’t think of anyone that has a new jeep and cattle trailer around here that I don’t think will be able to afford their tax bill and I’d be in a lot of different farmers yards.

Maybe we’re more sensible in the midlands and it’s a Munster thing to buy new jeeps you can’t afford!

Also the waiting list this time last year for a new Land Cruiser was 8 - 10 months so plenty of time for a lad to have figured out if he could actually afford it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭straight

Some lads just love the shiny stuff. A contractor was telling me the other day that every dairy farm he goes into now, there Is a gator thrown in the shed after the good year last year. They don't even use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

Any of u Midlands guys have any idea of the recent 66 acres arable sold near killbeggin wat did it make and was it a farmer bought it......sorry for changing thread its just when Dunden mentioned the mid lands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If that's the place I'm thinking off only one part was arable and that was a block of around 19 acres across the road from the other piece. The rest was grass and probably would be standard enough ground which would be a bit lowlying in spots. Haven't heard of a price

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

Yes think that'd it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

agreed. If lads or lassies want a new jeep then they’re entitled as much as the next lad to have one. Many see a new jeep or tractor as the ‘reward’ for working hard as it’s gives them a serious level of comfort. Provided that they can pay for it, they ain’t doing no one any harm.

neighbour beside me. Wouldn’t be stuck for Bob to put it mildly. Has an absolute hape of shite of a tractor, no jeep as uses the family car for everything. He’s 70 years old and none of the family have any interest- I’m asking him why he wouldn’t get himself a decent tractor and have a bit of comfort…….’sur doesn’t the one I have do the job fine’ q

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Exactly, if he was to keep a fresh jeep over all then years you mightened be fit to say he's not stuck for a bob.

His way of life has left him with a nice nest egg, so fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Only 1995 Toyota Dynas around me, but then again we're in a very disadvantage area!

And fair play to him if he can bring it with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’d be my thinking too. What’s the point in working through hardship to leave it for someone else to piss up against a wall when you’re gone.

Suppose that’s the way that some people are - plenty of rhem in every parish and if they’re happy, then so be it.

I enjoy the air con in summer and the heater In winter whereas they put on an extra coat on the winter and leave the door open in summer……!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Exactly. Whats hardship to some guys here is normal life to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was watching a documentary about life under communist rule in East Germany. The communist party (red Russian influence) were taking children from any mothers they didn't think appropriate and placing them with high up communist parents. A young mother 19 years of age with a soldier boyfriend had a girl and was having a baby boy delivered in hospital was made sign over her son or they'd take the girl as well. She doesn't know where the boy is to this day. Happened in the 80's. She tracked down the children's home operator who happened to visit her home when she was in hospital. The reason she said she took the child was she said the house was a mess. The mother was shocked this was the reason given. They were itching for a reason to take any children and educate them as red communists.

We're far removed nowadays. Communist maybe transfers nowadays as vegan rewilding, lab produced food, soylent green, we trust.

The lad or lassie who's only had a 575 knows no different. But give them a drive of a modern massey and if no money was involved in the choice between the two. Ten times out of ten they'd go modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Got quote of 510 for 18-6-12 .. anyone get anything different recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

We had a 550 years ago, they seem very rare now can't get them atall. My god upgrading from that to a Massey 375 was like driving a Rolls Royce, the added advantage was we could upgrade to a bigger topper as opposed to the fingerbar mower, that's not that long ago either. Us 'bucks' in the west are only ing out of the dark ages now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We/I went from a Mf 575 2wd to a Marshall 804xl 4wd to a Ford 7610 4wd to a MF 4270 4wd to a Case Maxxum 115 4wd. All with loaders.

The back lift went on the 575 and then she went to Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Unidentified user

Is there a limit to how much N,P and K we can buy in any year, or does it depend on stocking rate.

Advertisement