Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A lovely day here in Meath with almost unbroken sunshine. If it wasn't for the wind chill it would feel like Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mental winds outside and some kind of hailstorm in Dublin 5. Are we still in a storm or what? Winds have been insane for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭slay55

Glad I rushed out and got my winter tyres, looks like this snow is going to treacherous for the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Late this afternoon (Thursday) and this evening, strong to gale force west to northwest winds with severe gusts of up to 130 km/hr

Valid: 16:00 Thursday 24/02/2022 to 19:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 12:48 Thursday 24/02/2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Maybe it's better if we don't get an Easterly for a while considering the battle taking place at Chernobyl today..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The only beast from the east we're getting this year is Putin.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh that's very true, wrong kind I'm afraid lol.

Holy sh*t it isn't windy out, rejoice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next week won't be completely settled but less in the way in wind and the Atlantic stepping it down a few gears for the next week thankfully. Looks overall increasingly mild too. I have a feeling the Atlantic could be back properly by second week of March.

GFS yesterday was hinting at a possible cold signal for second week of March but those signals have now disappeared however the ECM is still showing faint signs of an easterly in March.

• Advertisement

Enjoying it while I can, warmth in the sun too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Came on to post the same thing, really pleasantly surprised how warm it was on my lunchtime walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The sun is now 41% stronger than on December 21st. On June 21st it will be 75% stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The same, was out for a walk at lunchtime in Dublin 15 and it felt very pleasant, springlike in the sun.

Looking out now, it's clouded over, hope it retains the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep at long last back to good weather when you can spend the day in park without being freezing, getting blown away or soaking wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Low and behold the wind is back, wild out there. Although no rain here in Tipp so far so not too bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Yep very breezy in Cork too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belmullet gusting 51 knots at 10am

Well thanks God or whoever for one day off the stormy wind, back with a vengeance again today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A windy day with mostly overcast sky and there was even a spit of drizzle earlier. Feeling cool though the mercury is hovering around 9c all day here in the south of Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Some hairy crosswinds on the M50 M4/6 today, I've driven in many a yellow wind warning that didn't have the impact of those gusts. Nice day East (earlier) and now West otherwise 😄

Brrr, just miserable such a biting wind out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Im in the Midlands, and the wind here today seems to be on a par with anything thrown at us in the named storms of the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah I have actually recorded a higher gust today than the 3 previous named storms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Anyone notice whether there was much snow on the Connemara mountains or Croagh Patrick or Nephin or Mweelrea today?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Even a good buy for the many days of cold rain and wind we've had. Depending on the weather, you could keep them on right through April, with ease.

42mph gust on Saturday afternoon in South Laois. Not far behind the three "storms" last week

A miserable auld day of rain but it was well forecast + thankfully got my walk in this morning on school run before the rain arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Won't likely change but this winter has a provisional IMT of 6.52C which makes it the joint 2nd mildest of this past decade. Not sure how that compares to all-time, I am almost certain it will have been one of the mildest on record in Ireland anyway.

2018-19 7.10C

2021-22 6.52C

2011-12 6.52C

2016-17 6.28C

2015-16 6.28C

2019-20 5.92C

2013-14 5.90C

2012-13 5.14C

2020-21 5.00C

2014-15 4.96C

2017-18 4.88C

2010-11 3.26C

2009-10 2.46C

As I mentioned last time I gave an update on this, it was very unlikely that 2021-22 would beat 2018-19 solely for the fact how exceptionally mild February 2019 was. This February has been very mild too but it has fallen short of February 2019 as expected and December 2018 was also somewhat milder than December 2021 whilst the Januaries in both years were relatively cooler but not cold.

The wait goes on for a winter with an anomaly at least a degree below average, the last time was 2010-11. 2017-18 was the last time a winter was achieved with at least half a degree below average. I am so ready for spring but looking at the latest charts might have to wait.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement