Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

9 mins at nearly 600mph !

Well probably 15 by the time I had looked it up and posted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah I remember March 2013, while it was cold and there was snowfall by night, anything that lay was melted by 11am at the latest and there was very little if any disruption. It was a major case of 'if only this was January'. The UK did far better out of March 2013 than we did.

March 2018 was far, far better than 2013 in a completely different league of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

2013 was as good for my location. Snowfall lasted. A few ice days. Actually colder overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Blustery showers of hail, sleet and snow with icy stretches on untreated surfaces will lead to hazardous driving conditions on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 23/02/2022 to 10:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 20:18 Tuesday 22/02/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I demand that this wind and rain stop right now in Galway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Sun is shining in Arklow but wind is gusting to 70kmh again 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very windy here but also very mild, two seasons accross the country right now :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Blustery squally showers of hail, sleet and snow with icy stretches on untreated surfaces will lead to hazardous driving conditions on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Some thunder and lightning expected too.

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 23/02/2022 to 12:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 14:24 Wednesday 23/02/2022

Just so no-one feels left out.

A night for the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah FFS are we ever going to get rid of the wind!

So unpleasant when out and about trying to enjoy the midterm.

And just for spite we also got caught in a torrential downpour!

I suppose I should be grateful that at least we had a few dry hours with sun shining earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The weather really has turned miserable the last 3 weeks. We are as usual paying for our benign winter. I’d be worried about our spring being out winter now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

That’s what happens these days. Winter is Autumn and Spring is Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This time 4 years ago we where getting very certain of the beast from the east, I want that snowfall again

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I don’t. I’d like spring to come. The price of hearing and electricity etc is bad enough as it is.

Yes I get that but I like the cold and snow in winter and heatwave conditions in summer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same. The weather forum was hopping 4 years ago. It was great craic. The excitement was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You maybe waiting a while. These types of significant snowfalls happen maybe once every 8 or 10 years, in sometimes longer than that. I would dearly love to experience a red warning for snow in this country. I know in 2018 there was one, but I was not living here at the time.

Ye I'm 25 and that happened 3 weeks before my 21st and before that for snow depth was 2009/10 so yes it may be another few years till we get this again thankfully I was in South Dublin so I got loads of snow

The excitement was tremendous I barely slept for 5 days just watching the snow pile up was great

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I remember going to bed with the blinds up falling asleep watching the snow fall down. Great times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We should have been doing it again this winter but we had a trainwreck instead. Hopefully we will have better luck next winter after 3 almost completely snowless winters in a row.

But generally we only seem to strike the white gold once every 6 to 10 years.

• Advertisement

God almighty tomorrow looks like another write off with winds, frost and ice / snow predicted.

Ffs sick of this now.

I didn't mind beast from East too much in sense that whole country shut down so didn't have to drive anywhere or go anywhere in those conditions.

However sick of it after about 2 days.

2010 was horrific for any of us with a long commute. I'll never forget the horrendous driving conditions on country rds + even the M50 closed for hours at some stage. Took me 7 hours to get home one evening.

Never forget driving on Christnas Day and it was -13 degrees on car temperature gauge.

Nah you can keep the snow, we are just not equipped for it in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We did vertical snow angels in a snow drift

Fun times!

2010 was more fridgit air (for the Midlands and west) i meán in cavan ón 22nd December highest temperature was - 9.9c, we got alot of snow but didn't like when it melted and froze like ice literally the place was like an ice rink, 2018 was more snowfall and winds that where the problem. (sorry I just wanted to go on that rant lol)

Some sparks off the west coast already

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Heavy snow near the Glen of the Downs. Sticking easily. Whiteout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up to lovely snow in cork city 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snowdepths at 8 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Late this afternoon (Thursday) and this evening, strong to gale force west to northwest winds with severe gusts of up to 130 km/hr
    • Valid: 16:00 Thursday 24/02/2022 to 19:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo

• This afternoon and evening, very strong west to northwest winds will gust to speeds up to 110 km/hr with significantly higher gusts at times in Co. Donegal in the late afternoon and evening, especially in coastal areas.
    • Valid: 13:00 Thursday 24/02/2022 to 20:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo

• This afternoon and early evening, strong west to northwest winds wiith gusts of up to 110 km /hr
    • Valid: 12:00 Thursday 24/02/2022 to 18:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement