Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Up until recently when my opinions have changed, I wanted some weather to talk about, observe and capture. Having so much high pressure gets old pretty quick, particularly in winter when the sun is weak and if it's mild. I don't cycle. I didn't go out for a jog or run, so useful weather like persistently dry, calm and cloudy was pointless for me.

I had a blast on Friday with Storm Eunice. The wind was fun after a long period of not having sustained strong winds like Eunice brought to my locale. The shower clouds were also beautifully moody (image below of one approaching Sutton and Howth) and brought me back to the BFTE seeing those massive CBs forming over the Irish Sea which would then give us copious amounts of snow. Got soaked by the graupel and rain in the process but ah well that's part of the fun.

I am all for calm and dry weather in spring and summer, particularly if it is sunny simultaneously! Don't get me wrong, January was lovely. The first half especially was great with lots of sunny days, was in fact Dublin's 3rd sunniest January on record. I should have loved it if that's the case but I don't know... it was just so bland for so long with the same old same old pattern still with us since June of last year. I just like to have a bit of variety I guess!

However, as mentioned, my opinions have changed now. I still love the occasional windstorm but I'm all for 'boring' weather now whenever it comes. You won't see me moaning about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Far worse today than it ever was in storm, what's going on

Avoca River in Arklow almost at the point of bursting its banks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We are going to badly need an extended period of dry weather once the jetstream weakens. We will have at least another 2 to 3 weeks of very active and mobile weather. Maybe by the 2nd week of March things will quieten down for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hard to believe we are nearly in March already. It was a very quick winter and the dry walking weather was lovely too.

Nice to get a bit of activity before winter ends but I have one eye on a warm summer now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Markree Castle and Newport Furnace both reporting around 35mm in the last 24 hours, and plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes, thankfully the storms came before the winter ended. If we'd kept the endless high pressure we'd have no chance of a summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I live above the bank of the Avonbeg river that meets the Avonmore at the Meeting of the Waters to become the Avoca River. It's crazy high and roaring, I can count on 2 hands how many times I've seen it like this in 4 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the CFS long range and does appear we have broken the 8 month spell of relentless mild and generally settled conditions with some short lived bursts of unsettledness. March is looking increasingly unsettled with only a slight chance of some brief high pressure. Plenty of chances of cold shots between now and end of April if it verified. I hope it's right because this could increase our chances of having some nice weather at times during the summer. I would be very worried if we were still under high pressure dominance all the way to April.

The weather right now is absolutely awful and i'm glad we're getting it now rather than throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I understand the point your making but what’s likely to happen is that we’ll have our usual rubbish summer anyway. The weather at the moment is horrendous. Funny thing is today is a lot worse than the big “event” RTE and certain others spent a week building up to.

• Advertisement

Gusting 87kmh in Arklow at the moment and no storm here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

That is music to my ears as I have patiently waited for the long, dry and humid 6 month summer to end in the East of the country to replaced with fresher, revitalising wind and rain. Some winter would be nice this year as I know we effectively dodged winter 2020/21 in this part of Ireland.

Interesting update from the met office overnight for the North. Assume a warning will be issued around 11

Heavy snow showers Thursday dying out later, some significant accumulations possible in west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The temperature took a fair nosedive at 6 o'clock....and 7mm of rain....but the tragic part was the gusts woke me...😀

(N.Tipp)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

At 20 past 5 this morning we awoke to the wind and rain Gusting and lashing against the windows.

It only lasted a few minutes but my God it was loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Same as that! Thankfully it didn’t last too long but it was wild when it was going on, extremely strong gusts, wind howling. I ventured out to rescue the cat who hadn’t came in the previous night. He was cowering under the car and loudly voiced his concern once he was back in, poor little thing

Definitely the most bullish snow warning of the year from the met office, up to 10cm at low levels. The SE counties Down,Armagh are pretty much excluded from the warning. Met eireann will maybe go orange if they agree.

Temperatures across Scotland and Northern Ireland are expected to drop sharply following a squally band of rain on Wednesday, with frequent heavy and blustery snow showers arriving from the Atlantic. Away from immediate west-facing coasts, 2-5 cm, and in places 7-10 cm of snow is likely to build up even at low levels, whereas on higher ground some places could see 20-30 cm building up by Thursday morning. The showers will be accompanied by strong, blustery winds, with gusts of 50-60 mph possible, and a small chance of 70 mph on coasts. Blizzard conditions are likely over higher ground. There is a very small chance that some of the showers could be accompanied by frequent lightning, which may could impact power supplies. 

1300 Wednesday to 1500 Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I am just so sick of this weather already. Was sunny this morning but now howling wind and very uninviting outside. January was bliss, going outside in this is just uncomfortable!

• Advertisement

Sick of this weather too, wind and rain for the past 3 weeks almost daily. Garden is saturated for the first time in about a year. Could do with the Atlantic powering down and shutting off from March to October again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice bright fresh day here in Castlebar with great drying in the wind. Lots of clean up, road sweeping etc going on around the place after Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Got out for a run in Dublin 13 by the coast, 11C and sun shining so not too bad but a lot easier running with the wind than against it!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seeing as we are almost at the 4th anniversary since it happened, I'm re-reading the Beast From the East "Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)" thread and lads it's some read.

Lads hyped about weather posting into the early hours of the morning, events this forum was built for. I remember posting it back in the day the craic was unreal on it. Seeing as there was 8 years inbetween the last 2 major snow events, 2010 & 2018 are we looking at 2026 for the next? 🤔

Beautiful afternoon in Arklow and that's Virgin Atlantic VS11 overhead en route from Heathrow to Boston

Its a 787 and you can hear its roar despite its 11580 metre height

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was this an event for us though? I don't recall being impacted by anything in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

@Marine Layer overhead Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

Maynooth study reveals changes to North Atlantic Jet Stream

Interesting news report. It mentions the jet stream positioning being closer to ireland during the winter months but doesn't seem to mention the summer months so I wonder if it means that we're more likely to see high pressure in the summers to come? I can deal with stormy winters if we get warm, calm and settled summers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Most of Ireland was in the mild sector of the low that pushed up from the Bay of Biscay but Northern Ireland got tons of snow from it in what was likely their worst snowfall since 1963. We had heavy rain with localised flooding instead.

We got many snow days that March but apart from the early hours of the 27th March, accumulations were small or negligible in Dublin. The 27th snow was gone not long after sunrise too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement