Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭hometruths

TBH, sure I come across those who think unvaccinated are selfish and not doing their bit etc, but it’s clearly such nonsense it doesn’t bother me personally.

but I am bothered by the long term consequences of some of these attitudes. Pre covid society seemed to be falling over itself to be super tolerant of everything and everyone. It didn’t take much for a lot of masks to slip and show their true colours.

i feel for you re the family opinions, you’ve got enough on your plate with that, so for gods sake don’t worry what everybody else thinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are the measures going to be permanent then? Why? The science behind COVID passes has been explained to you umpteen times, you can try and deny it, but the facts don't back you up.

I was against the passes incidentally but the delay in opening up meant their usage was inevitable so I understand why they're in use, the numbers are impossible to deny. When the numbers change, they'll go away as well.

But do triple check your sources in future and stop trying to deny science and maths with outrage, it's like crying wolf over and over again, there is no secret cabaal doing this, just people trying to react to a dynamic situation to save lives and let people live their lives while the virus cares for none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it.

With the ICU numbers as they are & the risk of transmission being greater I would encourage anyone to get it.

I am also bothered by the consequences for society. Take the article I referred to: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/10/someone-in-my-family-wont-get-the-vaccine-should-we-still-spend-christmas-with-them#comment-153616906

The vast vast majority of comments are f him good enough for him. Only a handful point out that there are alternative options - isolation & testing but most are F him. Organising a big family gathering in a pandemic including a bunch of kids is a high risk thing to do in & of itself. But the writer seems to accept that because they want to do it. My thinking is all over the place but it seems selfish to me to organise a big event with kids but people don’t seem to have an issue with that, but very much do have an issue with the unvaccinated person.

I agree with the vaccine pass but I worry that no one will be in too much of a hurry to lift it because of the F them attitude. I also feel that after it became apparent that the vaccine doesn’t have the hoped for impact on transmission I never saw NEPHT reconsider & confirm their position based on the new data. I have also heard of cases of people abusing it including a person who got on a flight after testing positive for Covid (before you needed a neg test to travel). I accept those people are in the minority. I also know people who were never concerned about Covid and whose actions reflected that who are extremely judgmental about the unvaccinated.

This pandemic has made people unwilling to listen. I have a friend who is an older man, morbidly obese, who nearly died from a blood clot a few years ago. Another friend with zero medical qualifications is insisting he can take the vaccine because she had low platelets while pregnant and she is insistent he can take any vaccine other than AZ as that’s what she was told by her GP. Even I can tell with my secondary school biology that those are two very different conditions.

Bit of a ramble there. But I am very worried about what society is going to look like once we come out of this. In my own family I’m not sure that our relationships will ever be the same given some of the words that have been exchanged. In wider society who knows but it’s not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’m not anti vaccine. Stop calling me that. Another lazy poster trying to label and unable to debate. Read Fergal Bowers piece about the vaccine on the RTÉ website this morning:

"The number of subjects in the trials does not allow detection of rare or very rare adverse events such as myocarditis and follow-up is ongoing," NIAC says.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And yet the figures speak for themselves. 212 children hospitalised, 70% with no underlying condition. 12% with and 18% not reported.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So you're saying myocarditis is so rare among the vaccinated it doesn't show up in the statistics; while we also know that the frequency in those who get COVID-19 is significant enough that it can be detected.

Yes. We know.

Vaccinate your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Exactly, Karina Butler on the Six One news stated that the risk - benefit profile of the vaccine can change depending on the incidence at the time. She deemed it more ‘favourable’ now as Covid cases are high in children. So she’s offsetting the small number of severe cases over a particularly time period with severe vaccine reactions, many of which are currently not known as is stated re Myocarditis. Each parent should make an informed decision based on their own circumstances, but this vaccine is of little benefit in my opinion and carry’s a lot of risk for our young children. There are also many unknowns.

The NIAC recommends that parents decisions must be respected. How likely is that to happen across Ireland?

Who is going to answer parents questions?

212 children hospitalised. My toddler was hospitalised with non Covid pneumonia this year. He went downhill very quickly, he was very sick for 24 hours, and one stage he was crawling along the floor trying to breath & then he bounced back. 2 more days in hospital and he was close to normal. I’m no a medic and Im sure other kids have struggled more. But my kids & my friend’s kids have been sent to A&E a few times for respiratory related stuff it’s never been treated as that big a deal. Obviously being admitted is more serious.

I read about the rare side effects of vaccines and they seem much more serious to me then a bout of pneumonia. But I think some of my fears around it are a bit irrational so I’m not going to repeat them as it could be seen as misinformation as they have no basis I can point to. But I’d still like to discuss them with my GP.

Then there’s the obligation to others to factor in.

I never discussed the childhood vaccines with anyone or the multiple travel vaccines.

If you're letting the percentages speak for themselves don't forget that those 212 cases are 0.035% of all Covid cases in that time.

As far as the kids are concerned, there is no need to factor in any obligation to others. Leaving aside the ethical considerations of that, NIACs recommendations state clearly:

Although vaccination will reduce infection and prevent symptomatic disease, the impact on transmission, asymptomatic infection and duration of immunity in children aged 5 - 11 years is unknown.

If NIAC are not factoring in the impact of transmission in the risk/benefit analysis of vaccinating kids, you don't need to either. Anybody who tells you otherwise is ignorant of current public health guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I will not be vaccinating my child when it looks like kids are at little to no risk of serious illness.

Vulnerable people are taking boosters which protects them from serious illness if the vaccines work.

Small sample size but of the few parents I had small talk with at the school pickup all said they would not get the kids vaccinated.

In regards friends and family the majority are saying the same.

What seemed to be the last straw for many was the attempt to put masks on younger kids which the government eventually wised up and scrapped the idea.

I will be surprised from my experience if the uptake is very high or reaches 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I read about the rare side effects of vaccines and they seem much more serious to me then a bout of pneumonia. But I think some of my fears around it are a bit irrational so I’m not going to repeat them as it could be seen as misinformation as they have no basis I can point to. But I’d still like to discuss them with my GP.

Whatever side effects there are, as you say, are rare, and are definitely much rarer than serious symptoms from COVID itself. But yes, talking to your GP is eminently sensible.

Incidentally, having pneumonia previously would make someone more vulnerable to SARS-COV2 as well depending on the amount of scarring that occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not surrounded by the all the virtuousness that you seem to be. Makes for very grim reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most of the country's ICU beds? You sure about that?

Most of the beds being used for COVID patients.

But you knew that and were being pedantic.

Thank you. The whole thing has really gotten on top of me & today I feel quite tearful. Mainly because of my family tbh. I no longer go into my mother’s house because if she were to catch Covid (and I obviously hope she doesn’t) I can’t leave myself open to being accused of giving it to her. She has a better social life than I do so she could catch Covid from a restaurant or a friend’s house but I would have no way of proving that. I feel resentful because I’m the only child who lives near my mother & she wanted to bubble with us during Covid which we were happy to do, but we didn’t need her for company she needed me & my family. Then when my husband chose not to get vaccinated things went south & I feel very taken for granted by both my mother and my siblings.

Anyhows nothing to do with kids, other than I think decisions around vaccinating kids will cause more than one row.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did ya never consider that maybe the reason some people say that is that the willingly unvaccinated are indeed selfish and not doing their bit? Because it is undoubtedly accurate.

How you could twist it in your own mind to come to a different conclusion must take some impressive mental gymnastics.

The anti-vaxxer scroungers should grow a bit of backbone and stand up and contribute.

Imagine being that afraid of a little needle for 3 seconds. 🤣 . Man up. Grow that backbone and do your bit rather than doing what some loon on facebook tells you

When I left secondary school there was one lad in our larger group who showed resounding independence of character. You might be a fan of his. Not for him further study or getting a trade or any sort of job (He actually enrolled in an IT cert course but never went to any classes and just went drinking for a few months until he arrived home to discover his parents had received, or intercepted, a letter relating to his abandonment of the course). He was on the dole for a few years then after that. He preferred scrounging on the dole and spending his day smoking hash to being a gobshite who works. I think he's had a few part time jobs in between but has mainly stayed on the dole.

Probably a hero of yours though. Independence of character and all that. Letting everyone else contribute and sitting back and taking advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Imagine wasting a minute of you're life remembering that and another minute typing it

Crap analogy to boot

Great response. I gather ya didn't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah , you got me ,good job ,carry on being happy

To state just one, and the simplest, of many reasons - when you have as near as dammit 100% of the eligible population vaccinated and the highest case count in the country as happened in Waterford, then it is nonsense to claim undoubted accuracy that the unvaccinated are causing the problem.

As far as the subject of the thread goes, the official advice from NIAC re vaccinating kids says that any benefit in the reduction of transmission is unknown, and thus does not form part of their risk/benefit recommendations.

Thus I'm more than happy to ignore anybody saying parents of unvaccinated children are being selfish - they're entitled to their opinion but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The funny thing is I had something similar. I remember this lad that left school a year before me. I went a technical apprentice route. I use to meet him. He was always on about what he was earning drawing turf or timber. I had barely the price of the night out. He was driving the parent car I had a banger.

With 10 years I had a successful career probably earning twice he was. Years after I was on a training course. The trainer was actually married to his sister. It just happened to come up in conversation as we were talking about where we were from. I asked about Michael, '' it was well Michael was Michael''

It seems he was perfectly balanced individual he had a chip in both shoulders.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd question the % coverage on counties. Waterford manages 99.9% 18+ uptake despite the 18-19 being at 84.6% and 20-29 being 96.5%.

Similar to Carlow, 98.1% 12+ coverage with 12-15 only at 74.4%. As the table says, it's just Estimated.

The ironic thing is you actually come across as a complete loon and extremist yourself 😄

What a choice: listen to "some loon on Facebook", or listen to some loon called Donald Trump on boards.ie 😄

haha. You'd have a point if I wasn't merely repeating what is overwhelmingly medically and scientifically accepted as fact. Go back to your facebook conspiracies about magnetic vaccines and Bill Gates 🤣

• Advertisement

As for your rantings about rice.... well I suspect that that makes as much sense to you in your head, and is as relevant to the issue of covid, as the rest of your post does. What I can tell you is that that is something that we can agree on. It makes about as much sense, and is as relevant to the issue of covid, as the rest of your post is.

People should stop being scroungers and man up and stop being little "scaredy cats".

Advertisement