Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Do you just mean decisions you agree with ? I would have thought shutting down the economy a few times wasn't an easy decision for politicians who depend on the public to elect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Are you serious ?

The vaccines don't work on new variants, we see that with the chaos around us ...

oh wait but the booster will work yeah ? this is the one ? or maybe the 4th one will really finish it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like it's a whole load of leaving it for the next generation to pay for.

My generation got absolutely shafted by people who are over 50 with their pipe dreams and debt. The very people we are protecting by not going back to normal. Now that generation proceeds to shaft the generation after mine.

Never has a generation shafted so many people. These are the same folks that will amplify the pro-restriction media with TV/Radio ratings and newspapers buys. The same people who appear on polls to say they are pro-restriction.

I am intent that my generation breaks this chain and doesn't leave a clusterfuck of debt for the next in line.

The over 50-60s owe us for paying their debt and keeping them alive during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The Irish Times are a disgrace. They should not put a headline like that on the front page claiming it came from "sources". This close to Christmas when we're already doing very well as a nation and enduring a level of restrictions.

Usual fear inducing tripe they've been spouting out now for too long. Newspapers and journalists are literally falling over themselves to bring us bad news and beat down any sense of positivity.

Print and broadcast media in general are an integral part of this cycle of covid doom.

If thursday comes around and what they say is true, then they absolutely should have printed it.

If it turns out to be untrue, I agree with you.

I would be under the impression that it is sadly true though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Taoiseach was just asked any plans for restrictions, he said currently no,but he awaits nepht advise ,nepht meet on Thursday. So technically he isn't lying as not planning today but come Thursday there will be. Irish times also quoting sources, wasn't all of this meant to stop?

Media softening us up for more restrictions, so come Thursday we will just accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I believe they’re receiving leaks, either from someone in Government or someone in NPHET. Honestly, after almost two years of this the pattern is clear for all to see. Just before NPHET makes a recommendation, that the government has already decided to implement, which will dramatically lower our already fcuked up quality of life the newspapers start citing anonymous sources (i.e. purposeful leaks) to soften up the population and to get people to think that these restrictions were inevitable rather than a decision made by Government. Its transparent. Bottom line, if we want to enjoy any aspect of public life we’d better party up in the next few days because it’s looking a lot like lockdown / definitely not calling it a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The correct flow should be…

NPHET Government Public

Not…

NPHET Reporter Public

The current flow is unhelpful, undermines the government and causes unnecessary concern. Just look at what this approach did to the hospitality business – it absolutely decimated it in advance of any actual advice being sanctioned!

Claire Bryne radio show now ,she is in over drive ,desperate for the contributors to say more restrictions and lockdowns

The sainted one is determined to finish the pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You would think that wouldn't you.

But in Ireland we throw another few months onto restrictions like it was nothing, just more "abundance of caution".

These things shouldn't be easy, but we have an elected class that is completely dissociated from the effects of these restrictions so it is basically all academic to them.

Countries like the UK are always pumping to get reopened and back at it, but In Ireland it is easy to stay shut down. We know this because its what happened.

Òh I agree, in an ideal world absolutely.

But we are far from that.

The government undermine themselves. It would be folly to not think that the government are the people doing the leaking to the media.

Personally, I would like to know as far in advance as possible that the government are thinking about imposing restrictions.

Sadly, they are too cowardly to admit what is actually going on so rely on "leaks"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So NPHET want to introduce more restrictions... on what grounds? Just to fcuk up as much of the month/country/population as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If these restrictions come to pass without significant public backlash, then we are truly fcuked as a society. Lining up for boosters, curbing our social lives, cancelling parties, working from home, cutting contacts, all to protect a tiny, tiny minority of the population. Hospital numbers stable (some could argue actually decreasing), ICU numbers stable/decreasing, data from SA suggesting Omicron is but a head cold, yet we are rewarded with more restrictions. And what can they actually do now, bar put us in lockdown - effectively.

What happened to living with Covid? How about our slow, cautious, gradual reopening - so that we stay open and don't go backwards? Those words ring hollow now. I know it can be hard to make predictions in a pandemic, but at least have some courage and conviction. This constant deference to NPHET by our elected officials is bordering on undemocratic at this point.

Totally agree, and their positive or pessimistic predictions won't come to pass and when they don't and they are asked about the models,they will hide behind restrictions.Hey look the restrictions work that's why models didn't come to pass. It's a farce

Because their modelling is woeful and they don't know what they are doing . I jabbed twice ,will get my booster, but begining to think whats the point if we will always have restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

The government: “we are just following public health advice”.

NPHET: “all we do is advise the government”.

The government: “we are just following…..”

Do you see where I’m going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Your description sounds like quite a compassionate society haha.

What's compassionate about thousands of job losses and business closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I meant the society trying to protect a small part of society bit. Just sounded quite nice is all haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Wow, I am forever in you debt. Thank you

I'm in the cohort you are writing about and I can assure you I am not amplifying the pro restriction media , I dont appear on polls and I am paying my own debt and keeping myself alive thanks very much

You think anyone over 50 is sitting at home lapping up restrictions and the debt being incurred during all this, would you believe a lot of us are out working and paying our taxes just like people under 50 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What are you talking about? It's like your just typing random mixed up words

The early signs from South Africa is that the omicron variant is more transmissible and less severe on people. Most of the South African population have antibodies based on older variants, mostly from previous infection from Delta and Beta and a very small bit from vaccination

That is a clear sign that either omicron is less severe or that antibodies based on previous variants work...

Through all your gibberish I think you're arguing that the vaccines won't work against omicron, do you have any evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I reckon these leaks just show how little respect NPHET have for the government and the people at this point. After nearly two years of leaks, media appearances and the rise of the celebrity scientist, we finally saw Michael Martin have the backbone to tell NPHET to get out of the limelight and get out of the media.

And yet still, we look on the news and see sources indicate a "tightening of restrictions", an "abundance of caution" and plenty of "stark warnings".

This is the reason people have lost interest in this whole sh*tshow, it seems to be more a battle of personalities than a battle against Covid at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No doubt the younger generation have been absolutely shafted. The ones that are at no risk from Covid will be the same ones left to pay back the debt. The inter-generational social-contract has been well and truly broken.

It will be interesting to see what the younger generation do when the older generation expect to be kept in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to in retirement. Will a smaller pool of working people be willing to pay the taxes to fund the public and state pensions of an ever-growing number of retirees along with the servicing of one of the largest debts in the developed world? All the while being told that aspiration of home-ownership are just a pipe-dream.

A revolution is coming.

What is disappointing is the lack of protest by the younger generation to what is going on right now. They should be taking to the streets IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I can see exactly what you mean.

TBH, I know its the restrictions thread and all that entails, but the narrative that it only counts as a decision if its to open up or go against NPHET just strikes me as a bit silly. Whether one is a fan of politicians or not, and lets be honest, few are, the idea that the lockdowns we had were not decisions or were not difficult for politicians just doesn't stack up IMO. Its pure venting out of frustration or its people on the wind up. The very idea that any elected politician anywhere in the world likes or wants lockdowns or goes into them lightly is madness. Agreeing with the public health advice doesn't mean they like it or want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I recall last year NPHET recommended a lv5 lockdown for 6 weeks, Leo Varadkar went on Claire Byrne and were openly critical of NPHET

Since then I haven't seen Tony or Ronan at a joint press conference with government and there's been many jabs given to government over the last 12 months, most notably Tony's advice that Electric Picnic could go ahead

There's no one doubting that the decision to go into lockdown was a difficult one on both occasions. However, it was a much easier sell to the public as the virus was an unknown entity and we didn't have ~90% of the adult population vaccinated. The frustration now is they seem to be treating the disease as if it were early 2020 all over again. NPHET will always be cautious, and given their single remit (public health), will always want restrictions as long as the virus is in circulation. Leaders should have the courage and conviction to look beyond one solitary metric and be more pragmatic, and make a decision, not simply continuously defer to a advisory group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I’m really struggling to identify with anyone who supports further restrictions.

Im a cynical cont at the best of times, but it’s the children and poorer people I feel so sorry for.

my local town is dead in the weeks running up to Christmas, even less atmosphere than last year, the “we’re all in this together” argument has worn bare. Shops quiet, restaurants quiet and pubs quiet. It’s so depressing to see.

it’s depressing to witness the destruction of society, but it’s infuriating to hear people on here to make out like the restrictions are minor, they are having sever impacts on mental health and the local economy. Many businesses will never recover from this, and what was achieved through this destruction?

to put the cold light of statistical data on it, has it robbed anyone of more the 6 months of life? I know it’s rough on families when Covid rips through a hospice or the frail in nursing homes, but the price society has paid to slightly delay these deaths is severe and disproportionate.

I have an uncle with Alzheimer’s, 2 years being isolated finished him off, the whole family now regret not mixing more and letting him take his chances with Covid, 3 months of quality time with the family would have been better that 2 years of the isolation and limiting contact.

im lucky in that I’ve been able to bring my kids Christmas shopping to London, Oxford street was their best experience in years, the hustle and bustle people getting on with life, pubs theatres restaurants all normal, no one living in fear, maybe the brits have had such terrible media for so long they all tuned out years ago, but in ireland we just replaced the parish priest with Nphet and Clare Byrne pontificating and frightening society.

I’ve travelled extensively throughout Europe in the last 9 months, nowhere are the clouds more ominous than ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It truly beggars belief that this circus act is still continuing and being allowed to continue.

NPHET spend the week leaking about more restrictions, driving our idiot and useless clickbait media into a frenzy. Then follows the theatrics of "Tonys letter" which catches the Government by surprise, followed by the jellyfish holding a press conference on Friday to shrug his shoulders and announce that he can do nothing else only follow the public health advice.

This rubbish is not serving us well and really should have been done away with a long long time ago. But its a great arse covering exercise for this useless Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How low do hospital figures have to fall before NPHET start calling for tighter restrictions?

Their window of opportunity is slipping, if we keep seeing this consistent decline in numbers they will have little options so they need to act now if they want to meet their goals.

Advertisement