Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,839 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

She endorsed the Barrington Agreement. Here's a snippet on herd immunity. Even we armchair internet experts can see the problems with all of this.

Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭ charlie14

She was one of the three most associated with the Great Barrington declaration. Not only was it advocating chasing natural herd immunity, you might want to check out who was financing it, and whose HQ it was signed in. Quite a few dodgy outfits involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭ Amadan Dubh

I wouldn't put it past this government to delay publishing nightclub guidelines and then claim this evening that they are nearly ready so nightclubs can't open this weekend but can from next week.

I am not accusing her of anything, merely pointing out a public stance she endorsed that was very clearly wrong. IIRC she was also pretty uncompromising in her opinions. There has been much outrage on all sides during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ noserider

Nightclubs to be all ticket from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ Stormyteacup

Yes it seems now that herd immunity is a myth many were chasing. But it was plausible in very early days. And the GBD sought to minimise the collateral damage we are seeing from increased mental health issues and huge waiting lists. The science has emerged to show herd immunity is likely not possible and scientists have moved on.

This bit in the GBD softens the extract you chose;

‘Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals.’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭ growleaves

I was referring to another poster calling her a 'grifter'. My reply to a series posts seemed to be directed at only you. My bad, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭ Quantum Erasure

Hurry, hurry, step right up!

Introducing the star of our show, his name is

Marshall!

You wouldn't wanna be anywhere else in the world right now

So without further ado, I bring to you

Marshall!

Well, the UK had a very quick stab at herd immunity and the Swedes were also at it despite evidence quite quickly that it really wasn't going to work. Whatever about the mental health aspect of it the rest of it was a non-runner and there was not one approach worldwide that addressed the effects as effectively as this claimed it could. TBH it was largely a group of people who took the hump over public health policies they disagreed with and given how little we yet know about the disease quite hubristic. It's just as well that the virus called its bluff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭ techdiver

I'm picturing these meetings as something akin to Monty Python!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭ namloc1980

All ticket nightclubs 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭ namloc1980

How the hell are nightclubs supposed to develop these requirements overnight? I'm actually flabbergasted that this is the plan. Is anyone still defending this utter nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ Allinall

Those regulations will be put in place next week, not overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ Ah_well.

Does this mean all late bars are to be all ticket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Ferris_Bueller

Is the ticketing for nightclubs the only new thing to come out tonight? Reading Richard Chambers tweet that there were changes coming i feared the worst, but having to buy a ticket for a nightclub is only a minor inconvenience (don't see what it will achieve).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭ Amadan Dubh

Yes, I know. I was just making the point that it is too late to bring in special rules for them to open tonight and also adhere to these rules so then they would be open for the weekend with little workable guidelines and would be effectively a free for all, but then next week would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ Ah_well.

What good does ticketing do anyway? It’s for contact tracing purposes they are saying but you can take contact tracing details at the door regardless of ticketing . Am I missing something here ? More nonsense ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ Stormyteacup

Perhaps they didn’t take the hump but genuinely believed what they were proposing was better for western society than taking a lockdown lead from China. As to whether the virus called its bluff, we may never know. I believe some of the feasible targeted measures in addition to short sharp lockdowns, once those most at risk were identified, may have been a better approach.

Advertisement