Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus

The big issue is, as you say, the perception that Failte guidelines are rules. They are not. What Failte is producing are a condensed interpretation of the rules to save businesses from having to read the legislation and try to understand it themselves.

Unfortunately, it is common for interpretations of the rules to make mistakes; there are a number of errors in the Rules of the Road that the RSA produces, for example.

Michael McNamara is using this as a point-scoring exercise, but he does have a point; The government are offloading the responsibility for producing these guidelines onto Failte. I appreciate the nature of current times has required many people and departments to step outside of their remit, but whatever is produced should be produced by the relevant authority in the area - The Department of Tourism. They should be producing a single document outlining all of the legislative changes as well as the current state-of-play for all hospitality businesses and what they are legally obliged to do.

Fáilte should then be produced a separate guide on safe reopening, which includes a mix of statutory measures, health advice and good practice. If it's all left to Fáilte, there's no distinction made between the 3 and everyone ends up thinking it's all statutory.

Then you end up with farces like the Merrion thing where weeks of time are wasted getting het up over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,947 ✭✭✭✭ Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭ PalLimerick

Fully vaccinated, tripled to be precise due to family member serious health issue. Was offered a soon to be expired vial so took it.

I hate lockdowns, hate masks, but I fear we will enter another lockdown in about 1 to 2 months time when cases inevitably rise due to hospitality reopening. It might not be a full lockdown but I can see the hospitality sector closing again.

Not everyone inside clubs and so on will be vaccinated i know of a few using other peoples certs to gain access and places not bothering at all to check. I don't think the unvaccinated should be persecuted my previous posts show this. But sadly I see restrictions coming back. The Government and its advisors can't be trusted this has been true in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ DarkJager21

I really don't get the idea that a lockdown is coming again, it's an impossible sell to the public now given the vaccination rates. There will be simply zero compliance with it and I don't think even the government are stupid enough to not understand that. Numbers are going to rise as we open up, that's a fact and there's no need to **** the bed over it - it has to be accepted and we have to get on with things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭ PalLimerick

I hope you're right, but what can the ordinary person do if the Government do another lockdown. Protests haven't worked and have been hijacked in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭ floorpie

IF it was required, it's easy to imagine compliance imo. People wont like it obviously, but it isn't long since we had Garda checkpoints to quiz you on why you were x km from your house, we have statutory instruments for penalties if you're breaking restrictions, etc. Not many people really cared about any of this (although they should have).

CMO on Claire Byrne show now

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued about this "change of behaviour narrative " can we assume there'll be quite a change in behaviour over weekend😁

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ Murph85

"It is because there is little or no significant public health threat now (relatively speaking), with 5 million unvaccinated people there were 5000 deaths over 18 months, now we have 300,000 unvaccinated, which would mean there might be about 160 deaths over the next 18 months (will be way less if the unvaccinated are not in high risk groups).......flu is usually somewhere between 500 and 1000 per winter. So there is no need for any lockdown or new measures. There is no information as to whether or not those in hospital or ICU are there because of covid, or they just have covid and cancer or were run over and have covid, or whether or not they got COVID in hospital. The government have said it is safe to cram a full plane, let people pack nightclubs and churches or weddings, so they do not really believe there is a significant threat any more, its just political posturing at this stage."

I read this earlier, is this true? the figures? look, if the flu takes out a thousand during the winter. Would it be better to have designated shopping times for the elderly etc? would somewhat reduce the figures of covid and flu perhaps?

Wasn't there some issue re the use of ID , I just vaguely recall there was some issue about this, GDPR etc, perhaps I'm wrong 🤔

It's the awful PBH in today poor Claire off on hols 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 31,131 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

It's really not new at all. They've been saying it for over a years and the positive version is "the public were ahead of us".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭ bokale

His head will spin when they see some social media videos over the weekend 😁

O I know but there about to have collective heart attacks when they see a change in behaviour in night clubs over the weekend 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭ Russman

Why is it staggering to see inspections, when everyone knows certs aren't being checked in lots of places ? I mean rightly or wrongly, we're a rules based society.

If checking certs is the only thing required and hospitality is back to normal apart from that, its not that big a deal is it ? Personally I doubt anywhere that isn't checking, is doing it out of principle, its purely laziness or couldn't be ar$ed.

I totally get that with 90%+ of adults vaccinated, its either not that big a deal, or a pointless exercise, depending on how you look at it, but its a relatively small price to pay to reopen fully, isn't it ?

Honestly, we might see a half hearted effort on inspection this weekend, camera's invited along for the occasion but seriously, does anyone believe there'll be any determined effort to inspect beyond the weekend, I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ Murph85

Those vaccinated can all start driving around with a star on their car. Like what happened in the 1940's...

• Advertisement
Advertisement