Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Last October Simon Harris used Israel as an example to justify returning to lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

A lot of “glass half empty” people in this thread, never seen anything like it and it’s the same people everyday.

I feel sorry for some of you, it’s an awful outlook on the world day in/day out - if only people tried to look for the positives in this situation and were grateful for how far we have come.

Its incredibly narrow minded and an uneducated view on how lucky we Irish are in comparison to so many countries around the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

I do try to be positive and take the best out of situations but when we're being governed by an overly cautious government its hard to remain upbeat all of the time. It often feels like we have to be content with being mediocre in this country and if we dare to dream of wanting more we are deemed to be negative and ungrateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Micheal Martin did in one of his tv statements , it was the one where he slagged off the "let it rip" crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is a very "shur tis grand" post and demonstrates an attitude that is all too prevalent in Ireland - if you dare question your betters or have any ambition you are ungrateful and narrow minded.

"Look how lucky we Irish are" shows that you have a very narrow minded outlook.

• Advertisement

hard to be too positive after over a year of massive hysteria and over hyping of this virus with results that have impacted us all severely .

the entire population has had their lives curtailed with massive effects, effects that will be felt for years to come .

was it worth it for the risk of the virus - no it most certainly wasn't. so much wrong with the past 15months but the prime example was on was measuring infections and deaths.

using a PCR test up to 45 cycles is utter bollocks and anti science, measuring people in hospital with covid & measuring deaths with covid as people dying from covid were inaccurate measures to name 3 (there are many more) but these ones created a sense of Armageddon fueling the panic, fear and authoritarian measures we have seen not only in Ireland but around the world

they bet the house on the vaccine(s) which ,at the moment , given the results from Israel - a fore runner in mass vaccination which did inoculate almost all - it's clear the vaccine isn't the messiah.

So what next? None of us know but the people in charge are idiots with no backbone so given past experiences we can expect them to sh1t the bed once more and continue with variants ( 🤣 ) of the same failed policies

Post edited by paw patrol on

Nope.

Means that I personally allow myself get pulled down by things that I cannot control. People here complaining all day burning calories on a message forum - what help does that do?

Ive seen people talk about visiting TD’s offices - guarantee you that won’t happen.

The reality is, we have a lot of keyboard warriors and negative people on this website. It’s unhealthy to spend so much time on this forum being consistently negative.

It’s not even about relaxing restrictions, it’s full of conspiracy theorists and people with way too much time on there hands. Hence the reason this forums view count and overall contribution is absolutely plummeting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

According to some the vaccine was meant to turn people into Magneto.

You keep banging on about conspiracy theorists. I guess you see it as an easy way of dismissing other people's perspectives or perhaps it's a head in the sand coping mechanism. Numerous "conspiracy theories" that were absolutely rubbished and scoffed at by posters on here have come true over the last year:

- Vaccine/Health passports: anyone who suggested that these would be introduced was absolutely dismissed as a tinfoil hatter. Yet here we are.

-Vaccine pass to access basic parts of society: again absolutely laughed at by certain posters as a wild conspiracy theory. Not laughing any more.

- "with Covid" hospital and death numbers: it's become clear that the numbers are inflated to include "with Covid". Again anyone who suggested that was dismissed.

- Covid lab leak theory: now widely viewed as quite plausibe, but up to recently if you weren't fully on board with the "bats in the food market" explanation you were dismissed as an absolutely crazy nutter.

I was one of those who laughed at the crazy conspiracy theories but I'm not laughing any more. I think you need to reevaluate your perspective.

Vaccine passports were never a conspiracy theory in my opinion, it’s amazing how people are so taken back by this - it’s a global pandemic that has killed millions that the world is struggling to contain, why the hell is a vaccine passport such a surprise?

The same people who bang on about vaccine passports are happy to flash there irish passport going through security - don’t see them every claiming that was an issue before?

You clearly don’t understand my perspective but I spell it out for you:

• Vaccine passports are necessary and shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone
    • The world is struggling to contain and remove this virus, therefore proof of vaccination to get into social environment is equally necessary
    • Lab leak: I’m undecided about this, I’m not a scientist but I do find it concerning that china are unwilling to co-operate with WHO.

Again, my perspective is this. These are very unusual times but compare our vaccine roll out, uptake, hospital numbers to countries like Syria for example and we have a lot to be grateful for.

Thats my perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well in NPHET Ireland they took the public health decision to close gyms and ban kids from playing sport outside, so I guess we have to burn those calories somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Do you think sitting here arguing with them is any healthier?

Any self-awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

According to the majority we were supposed to collapse in the middle of the street with convulsions before been given our last rites. According to the majority the death toll was supposed to halve the worldwide population. According to the majority if I touch you -> I get infected -> I die, If I stay close to you even for a brief moment -> I get infected -> I die. According to the majority getting vaccinated was the way out of it.

your passport is not the same as a vaccine passport.

Vaccine passport serves to discriminate based on medical history , a passport just states who you are and your nationality - this offers minimal discrimination.

furthermore, one has never needed their passport to operate within their home country for basic functions like buying a meal or a beer in a business that offers this.

While it's not Ireland - we have seen other countries deny access to basic functions such as gyms for non vaccine passports. Can't say I ever encountered this with my regular passport.

Such a level of discrimination is a first for our society.

"At least we're not as bad as Syria" 🤣😂

The point is that all those things were dismissed a crazy loopy conspiracy theories at various stages over the last year but are now broadly in place and accepted. You are doing a good job at revisionism here but you should think before you start dissing other peoples perspectives as conspiracy theories given what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

We would have to go back to the 19th century, when Catholics in England were barred from holding certain jobs for a comparator.

However no matter what is done, many people will just say 'Whats the big deal?' order a pizza and flick around to see what's on television.

Or my favourite: 'It was never realistic that we wouldn't do [bizarre and previously unimaginable thing]'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If you were to strap on the tin foil hat and go full CT mode you could almost see this leading into a "Climate" passport whereby you have a very limited amount of carbon credits you can use. But that's definitely not going to happen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hey... I'm a WFH programmer who is approaching middle age and not as slim as I once was. I hate NPHET as much as the rest of you.

😃

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I was heavily involved in this thread when NPHET made their frankly ridiculous 'up to 2000+ deaths' modelling announcement. Since the restrictions were actually eased more Ive been out enjoying the things that were closed. Seems to be the case for a lot of people in this thread, the only people left posting are the cranks who wont be going anywhere regardless of restrictions. Its not actually about being allowed to get on with life for them, its about moaning about the government, vaccines etc. Its a bit sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I'm a chubby middle aged WFH programmer! I totally reject the legitimacy of these extended lockdowns, although to be fair I got on a plane and came to Portugal a couple of months back, none of the hysterical doom mongering going on over here, everything open and normal! I dread going back to Ireland, all the curtain twitchers will judge me for escaping the country during the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are you sure the vaccines aren’t the messiah? If we had circa 1500 cases a day last year do you think we’d be as free as we are today? Would international travel be happening? Intercounty travel etc? 1500 cases in 2020 would have certainly been a lockdown.

It's not binary - it is possible to be out doing what you want to do (as I am) and still be displeased at the shockingly inept handling of this by the state. The agencies of the state represents us and the taxpayer does pay for it . So why should we accept the current situation ?

yes , i've written to many TDs but aside from that , it's a long wait to the next election so here I am occasionally being articulate at times and ranting away at other times.

Don't see what's wrong with that but maybe you can explain your strange opinion

I agree with you but I think there is also a sense of covid-fatigue or to quote boris johnson "if not now , when?" as well coupled with a more mainstream view that the virus isn't as deadly as was previously touted.

but with vaccinated people getting re infected in such numbers perhaps the vaccines aren't a way out of removing the virus.

Could be a case of the vaccines being the emperors new clothes - but that said if we ignore that and open up society then I don't care tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Vaccinated people are 3 times less likely to get infected than un vaccinated people. Not to mention unlikely to clog up hospitals. It’s not rocket science.

As more and more people get vaccinated it’s going to make the difference. My 16 year old nephew just got his jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

How soon after the second jab do I get my powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Sure its nothing wrong if you need to show passport going trough customs and compare that its normal to do so in coffee shop now because you somehow knew it all along, and compare situation to a hole in middle east and say we are doing better then them, one thing is true as a single person you cant do **** to avoid these measures, but if your happy with how things are why the hell you waste your time and energy justifying them here. its not a thread about write an essay why i feel grateful to have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Your last post is waffling on about vaccine passports and discrimainating based on medical history. Yawn. Nobody gives a shite except anti-vaxxers, we were just looking for a way of reopening society with creating too much risk from the virus. Its still probably too slow, but since we are moving in the right direction its time to move on.

you may be right, time will tell when the full scale of vaccination versus infections is known.

that said , infections mean nothing.

accurately recorded deaths and hospitalisations are the only real measures worth getting excited over

• Advertisement

Advertisement