Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Absolute gibberish

You're trying to claim to be medically trained here and trying to claim to be legally trained elsewhere. Which is it?

Neither, I'd assume

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Interesting previously when posters here claimed NPHET ran the country there were the usual "everything is fine" suspects who rebuked this and claimed they were only advisors.

This report from trinity college law people says the people claiming NPHET ruled by decree weren't that wrong

"On some occasions, the report found, Nphet became the “de facto decision maker” rather than simply an adviser to Government."

“While it is of course appropriate that the public health response be led by expert advice, there are accountability issues that arise the more de facto power is vested in technocratic public health advisers and away from the political executive democratically accountable to the Dáil and electorate.”

the moneyshot for me is

It characterises the approach taken by Nphet and Government as “Decide-Announce-Defend”, whereby decisions were made “without stakeholder involvement and robustly defended against even valid criticisms”.

Post edited by paw patrol on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The exact opposite.

Most people under 60 I met were personally unafraid of covid19 by the time the vaccines came out. Many were scared of the vaccines more than the virus but bravely stepped up to reduce spread of covid19 and potential hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Tbh I don’t feel as strongly as you do on that. The vaccine uptake is good indicator that most of the country would be the same as me.

Everyone has there own thoughts on it but if you think people are going to start visiting TD’s offices and boycotting businesses than you are sadly mistaken.

Outside of the very success vaccine uptake, the economy is also seeing incredible growth. People are spending money, they will not boycott businesses - people want to get on with life at this point.

Dont want to put a negative slant on your thoughts or suggestions but it’s the reality of this situation we are in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Quags

So basically everything our government say or push for you will accept as the truth? some people are actually going to trust their immune system and not a vaccine and if that is their choice then fair enough because "my body, my choice"

I have not met one person who has told me they feel safer that someone else is taking the vaccine, I imagine a fair amount of people took the vaccine through the constant messages on RTE/Radio/Paper etc that this is the way out of lockdowns and you can have your life back again but still we are here, no sign of "freedom" for a better choice of word. Vaccinated can still carry and spread it (yes vaccinated helps with less symptoms) but your still spreading to ALL people not just unvaccinated so some people who will still get tested or feel the need to which results in higher numbers and NPHET wet dream continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Do you just trawl Twitter for the worst news possible from different countries? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I got my second jab this week. If I felt mildly ill (I've heard of vaccinated people getting it and basically having a cold) then I would keep to myself but avoid getting tested for the exact reason you've outlined there.

Omg. The government, the doctors, the world health organisation.

Who gives a **** about a dead pathogen that activates the immune system and doesn't replicate.

Again this, it's the wrong solution because Dr Weinstein says differently. Are you a doctor? No. But suddenly you're a medical expert?

Have yet to meet one vaccine hesitant person who wasn't being a **** pussy or a knob. I can understand say pregnant women being scared and if you're a pregnant woman, apologies but please shut up with the vaccine scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Quags

My boss got his yesterday and couldn't sleep and is worse than the first one but he wont get tested again but his wife did for some reason even though she is fully vaccinated.

In all fairness we could be for months discussing what's right and wrong to do but the joys of boards is everyone has an opinion who thinks they are right and that's why we all love an argument here 😂

You’re aware that “a dead pathogen that activates the immune system” is not remotely descriptive of any of the COVID injections authorised in Ireland, I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

None of the 4 vaccines approved for use in Ireland fit that criteria.

2 are mRNA based in which your bodies cells produce spike proteins, 2 others are adenovirus based in which a GMO virus infects your cells and produces spike proteins, but the virus shouldnt replicate. Both of these are new technologies, never before used on the public outside of trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It only ever seems to be online that I ever find anyone keen for the return of the commute. Friends, family, co-workers and former co-workers all want WFH to continue. The two-three hours that were spent commuting were wasted hours and they would rather spend that time at home with family or find something that they enjoy. 95% of workers want WFH to stay post pandemic in some form.

As for an outdoor lifestyle taking hold, that has far more positive health benefits. It's far better for you to be out doing an activity than sitting inside - so really it's no surprise a doctor would like to see that continue. And the idea that we don't have the weather for it is false too, the outdoor summer this year has been quite successful, far more than 5%.

Lastly, if someone wants to wear a face covering post pandemic, who are you to judge? Are you not all for "freedom"?

I have been critical of ISAG in the past, but the above highlighted points are not particularly controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Well obviously if your commute is taking 2-3 hours you'd prefer the WFH option. My commute takes a max of 30-40 mins depending on traffic. That doesn't mean I want to go back for 5 days a week but I certainly don't want to continue spending the whole week working at home. There is no separation of work/life when you are sitting in the same room or looking at the same surroundings that you have been working in all day long.

The outdoor summer - you mean the 10 days of actual summer weather we got? How many outdoor activities are you doing in the depths of winter when it's single digit figures and raining?

And I'm not judging anyone for wearing a mask, if I did please copy the exact text here. I said it should not be normalised and should not be an expected action for everyone to do - we are in unique circumstances at the moment where it is needed to suppress a virus during a pandemic. In normal times (when they return and they will) what purpose does wearing a mask serve then? If you want to continue wearing one go right ahead, they should not at any stage be considered a permanent requirement for everyone once we are outside of the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That news came out about a week ago.

Also vaccinated are still way way less likely to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Cowardly? Are people that took the vaccine 'brave' in that case? Why?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I stand corrected and apologies for being glib.

At the same time, I couldn't give a monkeys. If you think that all the doctors, nurses, etc. are somehow part of a global conspiracy, there's little I can say to you.

As far as I can tell the long term effects for everyone is death. However, it seems some people want to disregard public health advice and do their own thing.

As far as I can tell, they're being selfish cowardly pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

So get vaccinated and then wear a mask to protect the same clowns who won't take one because they know better than the "sheep"? **** them all, they can learn the hard way that actions have consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And the vaccinated that did test positive, cleared the viral load faster and had no severe symptoms vs. those who weren't vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Where have I said any of that about a grand conspiracy?

I'm just correcting the misinformation you are posting. You're doing it here again also, trying to paint me as some conspiracy theorist. Also trying to attribute conspiracy views to anyone who hasnt been vaccinated. Plenty of reasons besides a global conspiracy to be hesitant to get vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Also have the disease for a far shorter duration so will infect less amount of people over the life of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

I am not medically qualified, at all. You know, teaching at a University gives you the privilege to speak with prominent doctor colleagues anytime you want. You should try to apply for such a position, consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I think people understand what you think.

The difficulty is figuring out how you have come to those conclusions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And if you ever actually did, you'd not make up such nonsense and claim you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭growleaves

For every perceived challenge this country faces, it seems there is a small parcel of internal enemies to serve as a focus for outbursts of fanatical hatred. (See also: climate deniers)

Last year was the first time this political dynamic almost curdled into violence, as some people demanded the army act as a martial police force against anyone with the temerity to walk the streets.

This is usually the point in a post where the poster says they find it "terrifying". But I don't find it terrifying. I find it sad, pathetic and contemptible that there are people who are willing to throw away their souls to partake in scapegoating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What about the gibberish from the antivaxxers? “ oh ye are selfish c***ts and ye only got vaxxed because it’s all about yourselfs” bolloxogy. I guess it’s the only argument they can come up with. It’s funny there’s people i know and if i ask them did they take the jab i know the answer before they even open their gobs because they were already high up on my knob o meter. Same old guff from them.

i tell you one thing, fine if you don’t want to take the vaccine but the world is not going to tolerate them for much longer. Mark my words.

This is a serious pandemic. Things are going to get tighter and tighter for the antivaxxers. New York is now proposing vaccinated only for indoor activities. It’s going to get worse for the antivaxxers. Your lives are eventually going to very curtailed. The vaccinated will be able to do things that the antivaxxers can only dream about, wait until you see.

of course the antivaxxers might get lucky and the virus could eventually disappear like the spanish virus did.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

"...never before used on the public outside of trials" - I thought the JNJ vaccine was based on the same tech as their ebola vaccine, among others?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Calm down. Maybe get some fresh air. The vaccinations are going great!

No one wants or needs you to go fully fash.

You said no way in **** hell should mask wearing become normalised, as it has in the likes of East asia. It wasn't a permanent requirement to wear them there outside of the pandemics that have affected them, just that some people choose to wear them for their own reasons. If you're all for freedom, surely people have the right to choose to wear them if they want to? People should be able to wear them without second looks and harassment.

The outdoor summer has been in full swing for close to two and a half months at this stage. Not 10 days. I go for an hour's run 4 days a week all year. If the outdoor summer makes people realise that the weather isn't that bad here, and they take up more outdoor activities long term, is that a bad thing?

Just because you struggle to separate your home from your work life, you expect WFH to go away?

• Advertisement

Advertisement