Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 upnorth

Minor 2020 Wexford 1-14 Kilkenny 0-23

U20 2023 Kilkenny 2-13 Wexford 1-18

Minor 2021 Kilkenny 3-21 Offaly 1-16

U20 2024 Offaly 2-17 Kilkenny 2-16

Post edited by upnorth on

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Marrooned

first of all this isn’t a political forum how is that eejit allowed on with that Israeli flag and to give a statement like that I was chastised for a lot less he should shove that flag up his hole or better still give me his address and I’ll call to him and I’ll shove it up his hole. Now back to the game, our boys went into the lions den tonight where Spartan 300 went outnumbered at least 200 to one it wasn’t easy I can tell you. Michael Duignan did some job on the choreography ye are all able to comment on the team but I can guarantee you tha most of ye weren’t at it for whatever reasons ye will give and I’m not talking about the sick the infirm or the people not living in this country. It’s **** disgraceful and if it was in Nowlan park we would still be outnumber. Those boys tried their hearts out tonight with zero support and came up just short,hang your heads in shame and don’t be shaming the players. I’ll talk about the match when I calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jimmythesulk

When compared to county, yes schools hurling is a waste of time. Played in the winter the big strong players excel, and being slow on your feet is not such a big problem. Then you have teachers from Kierans coming on here talking it up. It's so obvious it's ridiculous. Having a easy schools medal won in the winter is no good when the pitches get firmer and the ball moves faster. Alot of posters seem to have believed the hype about many of our players at this age and that's to be expected when you are constantly reading the nonsense posted on here but tonight like last year against Wexford showed the reality. We have lots of big and strong players but lack pace and skill. I said earlier this is a poor Kilkenny under 20 team, with maybe 2 or 3 players max with a chance of making it at senior intercounty level. They are just too slow on their feet. The posters on here overhyping young players who look good in schools competitions aren't doing these young players any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

Everyone beat Tipp in challenges pre championship then they gave us a land when the real stuff came round, we got a rotavating. Theyre in the MF with most of the team available next year…we’re in a playoff against Clare who have most of the team available next year and a clatter the year after. Thats the reality. Theyre the last 2 minor winners…compare them to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BC79

No lad. Haven't felt the need to vent for a few years but it's an embarrassment at this stage ya couldn't fix this mess with a magic wand. Fennelly hasn't a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Club hurling in kilkenny is very strong. A bad week is right. Definitely should of got something out of that match. We all agree we have no faith in the county board and a huge root and branch is years over due. Unfortunately that wont happen. They want yes men.kk are years and years behind most counties. What went on last weekend with the killian doyle fiasco was shocking but not suprising.Huge weekend for the seniors. A loss here and lyng will be under big pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2 things I'd say it's actually not possible for some people to get to a venue about 90 mins away at 7pm on a Wednesday night between work and family commitments. Also that Offaly team has an abnormally big support for an underage team, it's called a bandwagon and infairness its not exclusive to Offaly, my own county is 1 of the worst culprits. Basically a county starved of success sees the best crop they've produced in a minimum of 15 years longer than that realistically and everyone up there wants in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The vastly improved grammar and sentence structure surely demostrates that it is not a burner account 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gaafanatic

I’ve seen at least 3-4 comments this evening calling that Offaly team average.

If they are average, what does that make Kilkenny, Galway, Laois, Wexford?
    They are top 2 or 3 u20 teams in the country and 11 of that side are underage again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I'm prepared to bet that at least 7-8 players from tonight will have excellent years with their clubs, including senior championship. Some have already shone with their clubs, pace is an issue, but there were plenty quality players available to Kilkenny tonight.

6 players who won AI U20 medals as starters 2 years ago were available to Kilkenny tonight. That alone shows this was a very strong team, lads good enough to start and win AI U 20 finals at just 18 aren’t “bad hurlers”

FYI, just two players from Kierans AI winning team started for Kilkenny tonight (Neary and Glynn) so your argument about them being hyped up and flopping is largely redundant,

Neary was excellent, as usual and Glynn didn’t have a single decent ball played to him all night. There was no point in starting Glynn if the plan was to bomb everything down on Murphy and G Dunne and Ted Dunne. But again, that is just another example of how bad the management and coaching of this team was.

Contrast that with AI schools final where every ball played to Glynn gave him a good chance, and he made hay. Better game plan, better coached, better managed, better resultt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sir Chaz

The most obvious difference tonight was the energy, pace and teamwork of the Offaly team, versus the bulk, size, and lethargy of Kilkenny. Kilkenny's half back line all big bulky men but the speed and passing of the Offaly midfield and forwards ran through them like they weren't there at times. You have to be able to run in the modern game, and we had too many men that couldn't.

The Kilkenny full back line did well, but half backs and midfield were non existent, and not enough of our forwards played well. Shine was good, but the mishit 65 and free will haunt him. Marty Murphy was excellent as a target man and tried really hard, but he had no support runners when he won possession and thus wasn't as effective as he could have been. It was soul destroying to watch us launch almost every ball long and high, which appeared to be our only tactic in the 2nd half.
    I don't know what Joe Fitz circumstances are, but it's difficult to see how he wouldn't have been better than any of that half back line tonight. Maybe it was just an off night for them, as I've seen all 3 hurl really well before, but they really struggled this evening.

A dispiriting week, compounded by the absolutely embarrassing level of support we had in Tullamore tonight. It was a shocking reflection on the Kilkenny hurling public.

Hopefully the seniors and minors will bring a bit more cheer this weekend.

Offaly are far from average and had an excellent goalie and set of backs. Let’s see how they get on in the next few weeks. Someone said about an Offaly bandwagon there is nothing wrong with that. We could all follow Offaly in this regard and encourage young people to attend with free buses from the clubs to the venue it certainly makes it a cauldron and i think we quitened the crowd once or twice, we could have won it with a bit of luck. We will judge this team on Offalys future success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Where was it said they were average? I don't think anybody in here did

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gaafanatic

you might want to have another look back through the evenings posts.

One poster has deleted and Village87 has said it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,313 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I remember posters on here (i dont remember who..) going on about how "kk need to beef up ….. " are they doing any S&C at all"……. "too small"… "need to do more work in the gym"…
    now its the opposite?

Is Joe Fitz the new Tj ??? Sounds like it if you go by some lads on here ?

I hope yee all go to yere clubs and tell them to bring up the points some of yee are making in here at Co board meetings …

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Village87

I did say it was an average Offaly team on the night, especially without Dan Ravenhill, Screeney is a class act but the other 2 inside players were not up to much. Kilkenny showed from the 25th minute to the 40th minute what they can do but were again caught out with the lack of pace for the 2nd goal, that was a real turning point. I was very critical of the management after last years performance but for this to happen again is criminal. They have an awful lot to answer for, Kilkenny have players on the bench, extended panel, ineligible due to management failure and players who dropped themselves off the panel that would have done better than the midfield and half back line selected. With all this Kilkenny should have still won and with proper selection and coaching would be 7/8 points a better team imo. What a calamity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Just on the support issue for our county teams. It really is pathetic, we can dress it up anyway we want, population wise etc. I was at the League final against Clare and the amount of Kilkenny people that showed up was shocking. Same with regard Leinster and All Ireland semis the last few years. Is there a general malaise in the county? For our last game against Wexford, Nowlan Park would want to be a sell out with an atmosphere as good as it was against Tipp in 2013. Just look at Pairc ui Chaoimh last week. That's what our Seniors need and deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The most disappointing thing about was the complete lack of game plan. In the previous games they were trying to work the ball out from the backs and played some nice hurling but last night it seemed our only plan was for the keeper to drop bombs down on Marty Murphy and the 2 Dunnes, Offaly coped on to it and just got loads of players around them and crowded them out. We all pinpointed the lack of pace in the half back line and to be fair to Offaly they exploited it very well. That being said we really should have won the game, from the missed penalty, Shines (who I thought played well) missed 65 and free in front of the goals, Murphy hitting the cross bar we missed chances on another day that could have seen us get over the line. This is management's second year in a row that our lack of game plan has cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

Lack of vocal support for Kilkenny has been ongoing for at least a decade. Each Kilkenny player running onto Croke Park get a muffled chear from the crowd while their oponents get a crowd roar. Opponents chant during the match and its not the difficulty in Kilkenny crowds trying to chant three syllables v something like 'Tipp, Tipp, Tipp', when we trashed Waterford in Croke Park the Waterford supporters outchanted Kilkenny.

It is possible there was an air of expentancy of winning in the good days and that attributed to the malaise. It was noticable at All Ireland replays where there was a greater attendance of younger supporters that the noise from Kilkenny supporters was louder. Maybe the Kilkenny supporters club can do what some soccer teams have done over the years and disperse pockets of chanters throught the stands to start a tradition of chanting and at least a roof raising cheer for each player at matches as their name is announced or if they run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

It`s gas how people here think that going direct is some kind of malaise or sign of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Village87

Absolutely nothing wrong with going route one, where most goals come from. Kilkenny are victims of there own success at this. Kilkenny were one of the first teams to have 10 players back deep, 6 backs, 2 midfielders and 2 half forwards back deep or "working hard". To counter act this teams played the lines with runners running off the shoulder and playing the ball to half forwards and shooting from distance, e.g limerick. Very hard to sit deep when the half forward line have 6/7 points from play, thus the half back line push back up the pitch and leave space inside that's when teams go long to exploit this.

The u21 last night was like hurling in the 90s. Young Murphy and Shine were on their own with a swarm of defenders and still hurled very well. I was disappointed in G Dunne, Hackett, Walsh, Quelly, Glynn offered little to nothing, but cannot blame them as management were pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

I thought we were incredibly unfortunate not to win. The missed frees and penalty, the wides, the cross bar, their keeper had to be outstanding on the night. The fact of the matter is that by going direct we created far more scoring opportunities than Offaly. Our problem was our failure to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭randd1

To be honest, a lot of it is poor promotion. The dates up on the website and the Kilkenny People.

Half the time you wouldn't know if a games was on. And where's the draw* to get people into the Park? Fair enough, Championship games come and you'd expect a crowd, but where's the buzz coming from? There's no real excitement.

And I think people too are becoming dispirited a bit. Constantly losing final, poor underage results, it does drain.

The lack of leadership in the County Board, and engagement with the Kilkenny hurling public, is telling.

*even something like attend four underage games a year, keep the tickets as proof and get a free weekend pass for the first weekend of the county championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭The_Tank

Following on from my previous post on our lack of smarts and onfield leadership, from about 27 minutes onwards this going into a good level of detail about how we once again failed to correct things onfield (showing some of the examples I cited) and made a hero out of a sweeper.

one other point on the decision to pick Doyle last week. Regardless of the screw up I would support it - on the grounds that we're sorely lacking players in the half back line who are comfortable carrying the ball out and linking play. A lot of teams (Tipp, Limerick, Wexford) move forwards back to take that role. If Lynn is seeing something in training then I support it. You only have to look at below to know we have some issues and some of our panel members are not able to do that part of the job. The only concerning thing is that if that was the reason - then why the bloody hell did we not play that way for the game even when he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Im not sure "incredibly unfortunate not to win" would be correct. Did we have the chances to win? Absolutely, but we need cool heads to take chances and we were trying to force it last night. Going direct with the long ball to Marty Murphys paw did cause confusion and chances were created which were not all converted but we didn't have any fluency in our play like Offaly. It wasn't beyond those lads to vary our play but we need the right coaching. Was at a minor club match Monday night against a Carlow team and even though we won what they were trying to do was admirable. We need to keep up here or we will be under pressure moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hogans heroes

MIdfueld and half back line were far to slow, rigney twice just sailed by them and took his two goals, they looked like boys against men but those boys had speed and skill.we had brawn but no brain.really poor management for 2 years in row.

I agree with this entirely we need to pack out Nowlan park for the Wexford game and make it a fortress like it used to be. Now some people have difficulty getting tickets online etc and have nobody to help them.bring back the plastic card get the county board to register the people get a sponsor for the cards it was done years ago and was a great scheme. Someone mentioned that people don’t know about upcoming games. All the GAA websites have the fixtures. The Leinster GAA offer a season ticket for €40 for all Leinster minor and U20 games which could amount to about ten games now that’s not bad. You could also join the Kilkenny GAA supporters club who send out the KK teams by text.really there is no excuses. TV supporters do nothing for the GAA no contribution whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Why did Joe Fitz leave the panel would anyone care to share ?

Weren't the u19s flying it, would Sean hunt or anyone else have been good in the forwards ?

Advertisement