Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭kksaints

Without going too off topic but your last sentence isn't really correct. Without the TV audience the GAA media rights deals lose their value so there'd be less income from that source.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wing Back

Fundamentally disagree with some posts here. This is an excellent crop of Kilkenny players. They made very light work of Laois and Wexford. Offaly beat Laois by the same margin. Dublin only scraped over Wexford. So the form lines stand up and the fact it was a very close game is not surprising. Like one poster earlier said, there were an abundance of experienced players who have won at the grade, have good senior exposure and will no doubt continue to develop. Also, the posters who say this is a bang average Offaly team are codding themselves. They are defending u20 Leinster champions and hurled well but came up short against very strong Cork team in last years All Ireland final at this grade…..I think we are forgetting that. They were robbed of a Minor title 2 years ago in cruel circumstances, and they're amalgamated school team accounted for Keirans aswell. So while KK are disappointed to lose, I think to call them bang average is not only wide of the mark, but factually wrong as they have constantly been in the hunt at Schools, minor and u20 levels the last few years.

On the game itself, I think that KK were very unlucky in a number of aspects as pointed out. Hitting the bar, Missing the penalty, the superb save from the Offaly Keeper from Shine (33mins), just to name the obvious ones. I've not seen anyone mention a few things that really fell our way here yet, but Kilkenny were incredibly lucky that Neary did not to see red (41 mins) in all honesty. Also, on another day incident where was very lucky to stay on the field with a wild swing back that connected with the head of the Offaly man. So while unlucky in many aspects, I think those 2 incidents in particular balanced any aspect that KK could consider unlucky. Everything else was just down to poor execution like the Shine 21 yard free (51min) that went wide. I thought the ref was fine in general for frees with 1 or 2 calls that could go either way. Offaly got some, KK got some as we can see from the frees count.

Shine was excellent and I thought Murphy was KKs next best forward as he did cause problems. The full back line hurled well and while he set up some scores, their main man Screeney was kept quite in general play.

While debating KK approach of route one and our game plan, Offaly also dropped countless shots short into Holland inside letting KK off the hook. So KK weren't the only one hitting aimless balls, but its probably down to the pressure both teams were under when on the ball.

Overall Offaly were the better team and deserved their win. KK scored their final point on 39 mins. But for the 2 goals, they were out hurled in the last 20 mins and can have no sour grapes. The better team won on the day.

Drawing a line through Wexford, and also noting that Offaly beat Dublin I would expect Offaly to win…..however I do note that Dublin improved drastically from their group games against Galway, so their might not be a whole lot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree with a lot of this but the mismanagement was the biggest factor in the loss. We all agree it was a talented bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jimmythesulk

No we don't. Neary, shine and Murphy I would say are quite good. The rest are no better or no worse than most players at this age in the other hurling counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win for Dicksboro in the Senior Football Final tonight. Strange time for it, surely a Sunday would have been a better fit for the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Hon' Jimmy. Senior Club County football final tonight. Thursday night in the middle of the inter county championships 😂😂😂. I'd say Kilkenny is buzzing. I'd say the stands down at Canon Kearns Park were burstin'! I'd say you had the dinner in the stand in case you missed anything. Fair play to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Marrooned

my point was that the very,very few travelling public are certainly not being catered for whereas the TV viewers are catered for as I said earlier very few contribute anything to the GAA, just to reply to another poster about Sean Hunt he was brought into the extended panel after his master display in the U19 final. There is strong rumours going around about the venue that it should have been in Nowlan park if not televised otherwise it was to be in a neutral venue study that,break it down and see what you make of that and look at all the scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Good to see a few lads back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny is buzzing after it.

The stands were bursting.

The dinner was only delicious.

No need for fair plays, it was great stuff all round.

Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Great to See Eoin Cody and Mikey Carey back, Owen Wall a real goal threat also. Strong team 💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

Strong team even without Mullen, Wally and Richie Reid. Are the u20s (Shine and Dunne) not allowed to play?

Also is Conor Heary, Peter Mcdonald and Stephen Donelly still on the panel? I had high hopes this year for Donelly after his club form. Great to see young fogarty on the matchday squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

I would not be calling on Gearoid Dunne. Poor Wednesday night, let him get some game time in training and try get some form back

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CJThurling

Does anyone know if KCLRs hurling pod with robbie dowling and eddie scally has been discontinued as they havent uploaded in weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Was asked before?

They have stopped…

Listen to Cáman Cáint instead - Chap Cleere is on it almost EVERY week …… 😏

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭The_Tank

I haven't watched the match back but I felt Dunne was out of position on the wing. For me he should be in the full forward line where he's most effective. Everything I saw him he seamed to be way out the field trying to play it in. That seamed to be just nullifying his advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Great to see Deegan back at 6…says Michael Donoghue and the Dublin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jamesbond2022

We were crying out for his leadership against Carlow he has his limitations but he was missed on the field last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I agree about his leadership, but would like to swap him with Carey. Too late in the year for any big switches like that though, more important to have lads settled in their positions. This weekend is so huge, there has to be a massive response from the whole team after last week's display. If there isn't a serious show of hunger, they are wasting their time. But there's not a doubt in my mind that they will be all guns blazing. Hopefully they never take for granted the putting on of a kk jersey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Big evening for kilkenny hurling tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a savage appetite to get the win. Dublin will be on something of a high but we need to hit them from the start and keep the foot down for the 70 plus minutes. We need that badly.

Anything else will put us under pressure and our backs against the wall. I'm confident that they will come through this with the win.

I would to but I don’t think that’s lyngs style to make big changes Cody was never afraid to make big calls and throw someone in the deep end or restructure the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hogans heroes

Oould do with the minors and seniors winning tomorrow, good luck to both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I hope Derek Lyng never takes anything for granted again either, made some poor decisions last week both with team selection and on the line. I like Derek but it will be interesting to see if he can get the response from his players tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Does anyone know who does the majority of coaching with the seniors?

Is it Peter O' Donavan or is it shared around?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Does anyone know what Gerry Fitzpatrick's role is? Not sure what it's supposed to be but doesn't appear to be having any effect at the moment.

I know he got involved with the the seniors in codys last or 2nd last year and has been involved with the boro a good few years and was also with Davy in his first stint as Waterford manager and before that with Waterford aswell

I’m not sure what role if any is he has playing with kilkenny this year he could have moved on I don’t know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Conor Phelan is/was the main coach I thought. I'd be surprised if Rice isn't actively involved as well

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Cards on the table time…Dublin are no good, our backs are to the wall, I'll go with a comfortable Kilkenny win.

Bring on the abuse later if I'm wrong. Tickets bought, hitting the road shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Backs to the wall for sure and expecting a serious effort and win but Dublin are not bad and their tails are up. Won't be easy but a win will set the lads up to push on against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

He has been in the stand with the Kilkenny panel at all the matches this year. I was just wondering what his title is and what he is contributing. I think he has previously described as a performance coach. If this is the case his influence doesn't seem to be evident at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Gerry Fitz is the sports psychologist for Kilkenny.

He is the S&C coach for the Boro he's qualified as both. Psychology was his main career in WIT but did S&C about 15 years ago as well as far as I know.

Advertisement