Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I think as things stands currently it’s very very expensive to host such a camp in Ireland. Hotels are very difficult to get with so many no longer traditional hotels. It probably works out cheaper (or not much more expensive at least) to do the same stint in Portugal or Spain with the benefit of warm weather and I guess somewhat of a boost to squad morale from the getaway.

Now whether they should be permissible full stop is another thing. But counties will find ways around these things no matter what, keeping it off the books officially etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LohansRedHelmet

I think we need it more. KK have won titles in the last couple of years we have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LohansRedHelmet

His only chance for another job would be a third tier team like Laois or Antrim and I’m sure he would do a good job. No way the Tipp public would take him. It’s Tipps fault he still has the Waterford job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

The Dublin job.

The media angle and promotion of it alone would be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well the way tipp played yesterday there may well be a vacancy coming up! Losing the game that's fine no big deal, but the standard of hurling they produced 5 weeks out from their first championship match was actually scary. I said it elsewhere but all those involved with the county senior set up, players, managers, coaches,gurus of all type, and all well paid or looked after, need to be assembled and given a right bollocking! It's not good enough plain and simple and we're hearing excuses for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Obviously you would know the Tipp scene far better than me but would you not give Tipp the same allowance as Limerick with regards to the stage of training they're at? When we defeated Cork in the League semi final last year we were told that Cork weren't interested. Mind you, the two who did contest the League final also contested the All Ireland Final. That's partly what has me bemused by Limerick this year.

No I would not. Limerick have every right to be taking it easy and having an off day. Tipp were just woeful. There were players started yesterday who are simply not good enough hurlers. There are a few more who don't deliver but they seem to be accepted because they're "workhorses" or "they win a lot of dirty ball". Bollocks! I don't think it's asking too much of a Tipperary senior forward to throw over the odd point in a game. Or to expect a senior inter County defender to clear his lines! They now have a few weeks to improve but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think yesterday was a bit of a freak though Dan, the amount of wides from frees and from play was just ridiculous…. score half of them and you probably win the game ( can’t remember the score) Clare are also a very good side and have put together a very good panel there at the moment. I actually fancy them to go all the way this year if Limerick aren’t at full tilt.

Fair enough, I still want to give them all a bollocking though!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree with a lot of this, Tipp had some very average players out. Patrick Bonner was finished as an inter county hurler 5/6 years ago imo. Going nowhere if they are starting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JohnCougar

I was talking to one of the parents this morning and they said Kilkenny did well at times but Tipp were the better team and always in control after two early goals. Tipp missed a penalty in the second half also. He said Kilkenny are improving and should do well in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Theirs a lot of talent on that panel so hopefully they will do well! What do ye think the starting team will be for Wexford on Saturday? I'd go with:

Manogue

Corcoran, Bolger, Neary

Lar Murphy, Bill Hughes, Lyng

Fitzpatrick, Doyle

G Dunne, Shine, Marty Murphy,

Glynn, Ted Dunne, Hackett

The corner forward spots are probably hardest to pick, could be 2 of 6. Could be someone obvious I'm missing out we probably seem to have more forward options than backs! A big game for G Dunne, Shine and Doyle, been in with the seniors but haven't got much game time for a variety of reasons, hopefully they can find form, I think if they do we could go on a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

I agree that theres plenty of good hurlers in that squad but im sure offally and a few others also have very good players. Paddy langton will definitely start but he is much better suited to midfield where his pace isnt as much of an issue. Killian hackett has done well out around here aswell but killian doyle will be one midfielder. Eoghan lyng missed last years club after a operation. A classy hurler if he can get back to where he was. Theres a michael brennan from comer who looks a really good prospect and he will start. We really could do with a good year at u20 to keep things going. Harry,Gearoid and killian will bring that bit of experience but a few others got game time in the walsh cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

Kk u20s need some athleticism in the team, physically dominated last year and outpaced v Wexford which Brookville has highlighted on a few occasions . It has the makings of a good team. Interesting to see if they start Lyng, Langton, Hughes, Fitzpatrick, Corcoran. All nice hurlers but lack pace.

You know what players are on the panel. Would you like to let us know your chosen 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone have trouble registering ?

I enter all details, and press register , nothing happens??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kentu

Yes I have not been able to log in at all either, I even went to change my password and still didn't let me log in.

• Advertisement

Exactly ypu highlight exposing players lack of pace but the panel is there for you to put a starting 15 in like Anyone can.

I had and gave up. Just bought my league final tickets as per usual.

I'll make a guess at U20 team

Manogue

K Corcoran B Hughes Neary

Lar Murphy E Lyng P Langton

K Doyle C Hackett

Marty Murphy J Fitzpatrick H Shine

B Whitty G Dunne M Brennan

Forwards in particular very hard to pick from, should be a few good ones to bring in like Aaron McEvoy, Ed Mcdermott, Glynn and maybe Ted Dunne also.

Not everyone would agree with that team but I do like Ben Whitty

I too would prefer to see Hackett at midfield. Must admit I don't know anything about M Brennan. I agree with having Whitty included and Fitzpatrick at 11 might work. Ted Dunne will be played at some stage. Shortall has plenty of experience but what his current form is like, who knows. . It does look like a good panel of players and I heard they've put in huge work over the last number of months.

Fair play for nailing your colours to the mast.

Under 19 development squad have their second match this Friday at 4 in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd expect Hughes at 6 for no other reason than the half back line of Fitzpatrick Lyng and Langton was so bad against Dublin and Wexford last year and if Dowling names it again then you'd have to wonder what they've done the last 12 months.

I've listed the team I think will be named. There's lads here I don't think are good enough but I haven't seen enough of the rest of the panel to put them in over those lads.

Manogue

Corcoran Bolger Neary

Lyng Hughes Langton

Doyle Hackett

Any combo of Shine, Dunne x2, Glynn, Brennan, Queally and Whitty or Fitzpatrick maybe if they fancy getting a bit of height up front. Would be shocked if Marty Murphy started.

A few years ago I said this was probably the most talented group of players to come through in a long time but so far they haven't lived up to the hype. I agree with Village, it's a team/panel lacking athleticism and I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were up to beating Offaly when the time comes. Hopefully they put it together because the base level of talent is definitely there. Looking forward to going into it. I don't know how many of last years Wexford team are back.

Why would you be shocked if Marty Murphy starts? Not long ago some posters wanted Derek Lyng to call him up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I believe the players I've named above are all better than him based on what I've seen of him underage for Tullogher.

I disagreed with the calls for him to be in with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

WEXFORD CARRY considerable experience of recent under-age provincial finals into Saturday’s trip to UPMC Nowlan Park for the O’Neills.com Leinster Under-20 hurling championship Tier 1 Group 2 first round qualifier against Kilkenny.

The purple and gold squad boasts no fewer than twelve survivors from last year’s Under-20 final loss to Offaly (1-21 to 0-22), eleven of whom also featured when Wexford went close against Kilkenny in the 2021 Leinster Minor decider (1-15 to 2-10),

Kilkenny, under Mark Dowling (Dicksboro) for the second year running, retain the likes of goalie Stephen Manogue, defenders Jeff Neary, Paddy Langton, Ivan Bolger and Joe Fitzpatrick, along with attackers Killian Doyle and Cillian Hackett from last year’s campaign, when they twice lost out to Wexford: by 2-17 to 0-20 in the group opener at Chadwicks Wexford Park, and 1-18 to 2-13 in the semi-final in Kilkenny HQ.

O’Connor is satisfied with how Wexford have been fine-tuning for this campaign, saying: “We’ve played a lot of the Munster teams just to benchmark where we are and to set the standards and objectives in training to work on.

“That has gone well and we’re looking forward to the challenge of Kilkenny and then Laois at home in two weeks’ time.

“Anytime you go up against Kilkenny, you want to beat them, no different than their attitude against ourselves.

“Winning breeds winning, and in terms of the panel, it’s all about performing and picking lads on form. So we will be looking for a big performance this Saturday and continuing in that vein from there.

“Many of our lads have played a Minor final and two Under-20 finals, being beaten by only small margins. So what we have been trying to do is to get the extra percentages to help our lads get over the line this year.”

Manager: Aidan O’Connor (Buffers Alley). Selectors: Micheál Jordan (Marshalstown-Castledockrell), Colin Breen (Tara Rocks). Coaches: Ronan Byrne (Kiltegan, Wicklow), Kieran Joyce (The Rower-Inistioge, Kilkenny). Goalkeeping coach: Noel Carton (Cloughbawn). Team administrator: Fiacre Ryan (Rapparees). Statistics: Ger Murphy (Clongeen), Toby Falconer (Buffers Alley). Strength and conditioning, nutrition: Gary Millar, Dylan McVeigh (both Rapparees). Kitman: David Hearne (Buffers Alley). Psychologist: Martin Kirwan (Waterford).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Advertisement