Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭The_Tank

I am really happy. If you told me we'd out hurl Limerick in the second half of a match, with 14 men, against a strong wind I'd have thought we were transported to an alternate dimension. The sending off may actually have focussed minds even more as to what had to be done, and what hadn't to be done. Limerick threw in the towel when Casey was sent off and the biggest concern for them is that their squad depth is not what they thought.

Kilkenny were staring into the abyss 5 minutes in and another hammering would have set them back another year at least. But they had a plan, exploited Limericks weaknesses, tackled hard and well, kept their heads with the ref, matched up better, and worked the ball well when they had to. They also hurled really well in the tight spaces which is something they haven't done before under the intense physical pressure. They were also content to let Limerick pull and drag them and wait for the free, and they weren't slow to use the timber to move the ball on when things were getting sticky and they were going to get turned over. Possibly they missed another few goals.

Limerick were off their usual standard but their fringe players couldn't lift it for them. I thought Cathal O'Neill was the only one who had any impact. Obviously they will look to the full back line and point to how they can tighten it up but the conclusion must be that it's back to the same 15 or so for them - and that's a real danger when Munster will be so attritional. This was far from ideal from their perspective and leaves them a little uncertain - which the others will smell.

From Kilkenny's perspective we're still no world beaters but this lifts everyone. And the alternative after 5 minutes looked a really bitter pill. Now a crack at Tipp or Clare to learn some more. If in the Summer we do to Wexford what we did to Limerick today then it'll be a sign we're seriously moving in the right direction in terms of dealing with these running styles.

Best of all while it’s early in the year it finally feels like a panel win.

Post edited by The_Tank on

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

There’s a reason Kiely gave a character reference in court for Hayes, he needs him big time to try and win the 5 in a row.

Limerick have about 17 lads at elite all Ireland winning level, the next young batch after that are nowhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Not a great game today and Limerick were definitely below par but I was delighted to see us trying things, using the ball better, covering runs and showed a bit of moxy after the worst possible start.

I hate saying this but good to see some of our players are finally learning to play to the refs style of reffing….. James Owen’s is a very very poor referee and he actually spoiled that game today but if he’s going to fall for every little dive or every little cry by a player in the tackle then you just have to take advantage of it.

TJ has been our man of the match in all three games since his return and looks very fresh, the break from the Leinster and All Ireland club this year with Ballyhale has done him the world of good . What a player he is , I said it last week , he’s actually underrated.It’s laughable that some posters come on here to accuse him of having feet of clay.

Have to say I enjoyed the chats with the Limerick fans today, proper hurling people and always magnanimous in victory or defeat in my experience. They’re already growing weary of the jealousy and bitterness that success brings with it , we know all about that from past experience but it also means you’re doing something right. They’re obviously still the team to beat and won’t be too concerned about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Definitely thought that we got a few softish frees at the start of the second half which were vital in keeping our 4 to 5 point lead at the time. Having said that, there were surely 20 thrown balls by Limerick not penalised.

Any of ye who don’t go don’t claim to be something you’re not.that’s ok if people don’t go for legitimate reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Owens penalized Limerick for the three or four man wrap tackle that prevents the man with the ball from moving his arms. Limerick usually get away with this, it would be good to see other refs do the same

I am not trying to p**s people off but it annoys me that people are not supporting the players and county they claim to love.an absolute pathetic crowd there from Kilkenny today.I’m not a hero or anything I missed out on a days work the last two Saturdays I just think these players deserved to be followed just like all the Kilkenny teams before them, don’t take offence if it is not warranted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

Did everyone hear that? It's okay if you weren't there as long as you have a note from a responsible adult. Thanks Marrooned!!

Personally I thought Shane Murphy was our man of the match. I also thought Billy Ryan tried his heart out but somethings just didn’t work out for him.

There you go butter beans you all get annoyed when challenged on this subject why so?

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'm a huge fan and attend any games from U14 up when I can but MAROONED you have to stop, my excuse is cancer's a ****. You have no idea of anyone's reasons so give it a rest and enjoy today's win 🍻

Have you ever heard the term… labouring your point ?

Comerman we already chatted about this already I have previously said it’s just the people who couldn’t be bothered going are my problem I am well aware of peoples problems of why they cannot attend these are not the people I am referring to . I am sure you are a very good supporter as I said to you during the week. I wish you the very best and I am sincere in saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭The_Tank

they’re under the microscope now - they have their patterns - throwing the ball, how they smack with the spare arm, how they buy frees when under the cosh (Peter Casey gets onmy personal goat), the short sidelines, the puckouts, the contact lenses..

We had the same. Literally in the commentary Donal O Grady brought up how nearly twenty years agoHenry used to throw the ball in front of him to get out of a tackle (twas Larks by my recollection 😂 and feckin Barry Kelly pulled him on it)

This is my last comment on the subject . What do you think when the supporters stop going to the matches the TV rights money will drop and we will be left with nothing just like 5he snooker and the darts in England in the eighties,it is only making a recovery now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there is a far bigger under belly in the gaa then what snooker or darts have ever had , we managed away grand for a century without any tv coverage

• Advertisement

the frees james owens was calling for were for more bizarre things then that , i wouldnt get too excited with all the players they will have back for the first round of the championship , but i would seriously commend kilkenny for drawing the game down in the second half against a strong wind , in fairness you cant beat experience

Ye but what I’m saying is they are losing to TV because the travelling supporters have stopped going and when they stop it will not return. It is hitting all sports TV coverage is by and large only suits the people who never actually contributed to the GAA just look at some of the times they have the matches on 7.30 in Cork ffs

but it was always like this , i remember a classic final in 2000 or 2001 in a league final between tipp and kilkenny in croke park and only 10,00 or 11,000 at it , people will only travel to the bigger games, plus we are very much in 1980s level of inflation its a huge cost to go to all matches now especially if you have families going to games , all thats going to happen is everyone will go to the home games league and championship and the all ireland semi finals and finals , the rest could be a wash out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

GAA will be fine, I'm sure there was similar talk around 1990 when an Offaly/ Kilkenny Leinster Semi final drew 8k crowd as it clashed with Ireland Egypt in the World Cup. Reason crowds are low at the moment is the cost of going to games as there's so many games later in the year with the round robin championship.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

The two frees that most incensed Limerick were

1. TJ making a great catch and being swarmed by 4 Lim players with hurls up at his throat
    2. Hegarty winning possession and R Reid challenging, Hegarty then just flings Reid to the ground like a rag doll.

Both were frees and great to see refs finally cop on.

Lim are still clear favs for AI but anyone dismissing today as of "nil or zero value" (Irish Examiner) on championship is likely to be wrong. Limerick's players numbered 16-22, who looked so good all league, were well beaten today, meaning Kiely will now have to go back to his trusted 15 and hope they can still get the job done.

Maybe they can, but that's not what he'd have wanted and for me, a championship that looked destined for only one outrcome, is now a real live contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

And they keep insisting on putting evrry game in Cork which is not the most accessible for a lot of counties. That game in Thurles yesterday would have drawn double the crowd and thats a fact.

Ye and it’s all possible that the final could be in Cork too. A lot of Limerick supporters jumped for joy when he was red carded, it certainly came back to bite them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Thurles and Limerick closed at the moment for repair work on the pitches although they might have brought some games down there regardless, looking at Buff egan's snapchat of Laois Down yesterday the pitch in Portlaoise looks like it's full of sand at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

I watched Limerick in the warm up and the throw ball is crucial to how they play. Any hint of trouble/challenge and they mostly survive it by throwing the ball at speed. Also in the warm up their hurls are tapping/slapping the player in position constantly. Their sharpness and accuracy in moving the ball was top class in that warm up. You just couldn't see Kilkenny beating them.

But, the ref was on to them throughout the match penalising them where necessary at times. He pulled them for over carrying very early on but ignored the throw ball. In addition Kilkenny played their part by moving the ball well, backing up each other, huge work rate and taking them on for goals. We lasted the 70 plus minutes better than they did for this match at least. The subs played their part too.

Like another poster said, the Limetick posters, while a bit shocked and very disappointed, were very fair afterwards in their reaction. Also, bar a few kids, they never booed TJ when taking the frees unlike in Ennis.

Lastly - I was at the match, I enjoyed it immensely, would have liked to have more Kilkenny supporters around me but many have good reason for not travelling. I know of four families consisting of 18 in total who just could not attend, mainly because of the long distance and nightmare that is SuperValu Park. Certainly not ideal for small children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

I thought the two in midfield were excellent yesterday, the work rate, tracking the Limerick runners and then used the ball so well. Midfield has been a problem for so long so hopefully the solution is found.

I know Paddy Degan gets stick from a few on here but he was excellent again and never backs down from challenge, one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Shane Murphy find of the league for us.

Advertisement