Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Thomastown had that referee twice in the club campaign, very poor referee, very inconsistent in his decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

Inconsistent is exactly what we had today. Imagine in a close match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

When a number of decicions went against Kilkenny today, I did look at the programme to see if the referee was from Tipp or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Marrooned

agree with you grats but I had 11 wides in the second half and five in the first

Wexford posted 9 wides in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Good performance overall. There’s probably some tweaking that needs to be done to get the balance right in the team, in particular the half back line. They’re all good hurlers but I don’t think we can get away with three half backs that lack a bit of recovery pace against better opposition. I know Gearoid Dunne is a physical force of nature which is invaluable to break the ball in the forwards, but he could be moved back to wing back to provide that recovery pace. I’d be comfortable in any one of Langton, Lyng or Hughes starting in the other two half back line positions then.

The full back line and midfield look set barring injury. Noticed the forwards rotated a fair bit which is good to see - keep the opposition on their toes and shows the comfort level of the players in all positions. Shine, Marty Murphy, Shortall should start. With Gearoid’s move to the backs, this leaves three positions up for grabs. James Walsh and Aaron McEvoy showed up well when they came on. Michael Brennan was quiet but he set up a couple of scores nonetheless. Ted Dunne didn’t have his best day out but it’s early days yet. And when you go through the remainder of the panel: Ryan Corcoran, Greg Kelly, Joe Fitzpatrick, Rory Glynn, James Hughes, Ed McDermott, Darragh Queally and Ben Whitty - there’s enough quality forwards to make up for Gearoid Dunne’s move to the backs. I think Gearoid’s best position will be as a half back for the seniors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads who cares about the wides count. The more important thing is shots:scores ratio.

it’s a pity Rory Glynn didn’t get a run yesterday but I suppose that Wexford full back would want to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kentu

Who would you have brought him in ahead of??

Another poster commented here the other day that some players paid the price of Kierans winning the schools All Ireland and being well down the pecking order but made no mention of names or who they would be better than that played yesterday.

Good performance from yesterday with great signs of what the team is trying to do, onwards and upwards with next few games. There will be no one taking Laois for Granted after they overturned our minors 2 years ago. They could well be a better opposition than Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

Some posters believe that too many Kierans lads get the nod, now some are suggesting not enough are getting the call! Sometimes management can't win!

I was told R Glynn is injured but even if he's not, he had a tough schools campaign, going off twice in the final for blood substitution. The last thing he needed was to get banjoed again yesterday. Plenty of time ahead for him.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement

I would have brought Rory in instead of any of the forwards we brought in if that’s the answer to a stupid question. I only wanted to have a look at him as well as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

I would not be looking much into Saint Kierans college form, this has failed Kilkenny underage the last 10/12 years and also under 20 last year. Id be looking at how these lads hurled for there clubs at adult level. Was Glynn hurling for Clara last year ? When Kilkenny were successful at minor 15-20 years ago all players were standout for there clubs at adult level. That is the gauge needed to judge players. Hackett was very good for Boro last year, Marty Murphy was exceptional for club, Shine and Gearoid Dunne were good for club also. Niall Shortall has played well for his club at adult level, Paddy Langton was been consistent for his club also. I have not seen them all, but the names i mentioned deserve to start based on club form. Looking at the 24 how did Tom McPhillips make it ahead some of the extended panel !!

Credit to Lyng and the panel.

Another league final.

Constant progression.

People idolising managers/counties that have achieved zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I hope everyone saw this already but in case you didn't, here is Kilkennys Paul Murphy giving an unbelievable Proclamation of the Republic yesterday. I hope everyone in Ireland sees it. He is a Captain in the Irish Defence Forces and he learned it off by heart. He did his county and Country proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mooz

What an incredible delivery, put hairs standing on the back of my neck. Superb Paul👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭forchange

village 87!

Usually like your views but see a lot of bitterness coming out in you

Tom mcphilips was superb for Kieran’s in all Ireland

In park for under 20 all you could say about shine was he was by far the best player on the field even Murphy scored 3-3 he not a patch on shine you could just change his name to Richie

You said lately he would not make it now you say he done well last year senior

Never heard you complain when the great Brian brought in lads from village that had no right to be in there

Dermot Cody

Luke Scanlon

Dwyer and many more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Say what you want about village87, you can never accuse him of not complaining about Brian Cody!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

I'm not convinced by the management and this stems from last year also. Brookville has highlighted some of the same issues. Harry Shine is a lovely hurler, absolutely. But we have so many forwards the same, a lot of them from my own club also. About 5ft 7/8, nice hurlers but lack the physicality now required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

Whatever about criticizing senior players or the county board im slow enough to criticize young lads.i do think theres a lack of pace in that u20 defense this isnt a secret and a bit of sorting out and balancing will have to be done before the knock out starts.Theres huge standards in our county and rightly so but we need to be carefull with chaps especially. Plenty on people come on here so its a bit unfair singling out chaps 18 years of age.Id love to see neary on screeney before the year is out i think he will make it and will fill out. Plenty of positivity after last weekend we definitely have a few hurlers coming.

Great to have the league final Saturday night. It wont define either teams season. Clare could have a few back. We probably wont risk the few injured.Our lads should relish the big field. Clare tend to foul a good bit so the referee could be intresting. Fitzgerald is hurling brillantly even when man marked he just finds space. Maybe blanchfield could pick him up. We got no space in our full foward line until the limerick match. Molloy and murphy have being positives. Hogan has had moments but this is another great game to get. Both teams will go for it. Clare could do with it more but outside ennis its 50-50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Great post, apart from maybe the end part. Not fair to be naming young lads. The selectors need to be at the club matches. You learn nothing about a player watching them on what is a team that usually wins matches quite easily. Kieran's college is a county team playing in schools hurling and being on one of their teams should never be a reason why any certain player gets picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

That`s a bit rich considering you didn`t mind having a go at lads from junior clubs last week if I am remembering correctly. As it turns out I think four started and I thought three of them played really well, not to mention James Walsh who made a big impression when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jimmythesulk

That's nonsense, I wasn't saying players from junior clubs should not be selected, far from it. I was saying that some of the players selected from junior clubs weren't doing it for their own clubs last year. I go to plenty of games at all levels. I mentioned Lar Murphy and Martie Murphy should start and their both from junior clubs (intermediate now).

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Conversations 3

🫣 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

You have also said that the selectors should be watching these players play for their clubs (fair comment), but you also said you didn`t know how some of them were making their junior club team (really?). What I said isn`t nonsense and the Murphys aside it`s clear what you were implying. I go to plenty of games too and you mustn`t be going to the same junior games I`ve been attending.

I would also say that it is tougher for an underage county player coming through at junior level because they have far more responsibility on their shoulders from within their own club to perform. Lads coming onto senior club teams have the luxury of being surrounded by team mates of their own ability and are therefore less likely to be cynically fouled or double marked if they are a scoring threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JohnCougar

Its was a great start on Saturday and Rory Glynn should be in instead of Greg Kelly who is still 18, but if injured fair enough. How Sean Hunt is not included is a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

……..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Good to see development teams being publicised more this year. Important for players, families and clubs to get recognition for representing their county.

Advertisement