Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Would ye not think there’s a place for Niall Shortall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

With his vast experience playing at top level senior hurling he'd have to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

By 12 I think they mean panelists, 7 of Wexford's starting team from last year are underage again although 1 of them is injured for Saturday, heard we haven't gone well in challenge games, beat Tipp but lost against the other Munster opposition, would probably have us 4th favourites for Leinster after yourselves, Offaly and Galway . Think Offaly have around 10 of their team underage again.What's Kieran Joyce's coaching experience up to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Doubt it, its its purely a development competition, was even a Wexford ref in charge of Wexford Offaly last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

My u20 side:

1. Stephen Manogue
    2. Sean Bergin
    3. Killian Corcoran
    4. Jeff Neary
    5. Joe Fitzpatrick
    6. Bill Hughes
    7. Paddy Langton
    8. Killian Doyle
    9. Cillian Hackett
    10. Aaron McEvoy
    11. Ted Dunne
    12. Michael Brennan
    13. Harry Shine
    14. Gearoid Dunne
    15. Rory Glynn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Village87

I am looking forward to see what Bill Hughes can do at this level. Has not really impressed me anytime i have seen him play to date

Killian Doyle and Queally were poor for Emeralds in junior last year. I like the looks of Bolger and Neary. Ted Dunne has done very little to impress me either, poor by all accounts in Junior hurling last year. Hackett looks a top prospect, i have seen very little from Shine to impress me and woiuld rate Glynn ahead of him. I liked the look of Marty Murphy in Junior Club Championship, outstanding in the final marking Brian Kennedy and outstanding in the semi final against Dicksboro, looked a good a prospect as i have seen in a while not just a name. A lot of the lads mentioned have big reputations with little substance

You're including a lot of the younger lads who may not be quite ready for the likes of Wexford, usually very physical. Having said that I think most, if not all, would have played senior with their clubs already.

Looking forward to the match and hopefully the good run we've had so far this year will continue. Thomastown, Tullogher, Dicksboro and Loreto camogie, St Kierans, O'Loughlins narrowly lost the final and our seniors in a league final. Ain't bad and, generally, there's a great buzz around.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jimmythesulk

If anyone was watching the junior club championship last year, both Lar and Marty Murphy should start. Their are a few players named above from junior clubs and having watched them last year I question how they even started for their clubs junior team, never mind a Kilkenny team.

Yes i completely agree, although junior they played outstanding in the final against a very good Freshford team stacked with county seniors, minors and u21s over the years.. Some players mentioned to start in above posts have really struggled at adult level hurling to date.

• Advertisement

Now, you've written off up to ten players on the under 20 panel. That leaves your job of selecting a starting 15 a lot easier. Let's have your 15 along with just 5 subs, BEFORE Saturday.

1. Stephen Manogue
    2. Ivan Bolger
    3. Joe Fitzpatrick
    4. Jeff Neary
    5. Lar Murphy
    6. Paddy Langton
    7. Evan Murphy
    8. Killian Doyle
    9. Cillian Hackett
    10. Marty Murphy
    11. Gearoid Dunne
    12. Ben Whitty
    13. Aaron McEvoy
    14. Harry Shine
    15. Rory Glynn

I’d have Lar Murphy all day, but the jury is out on Marty.

Interesting team, mix of experienced and very young lads who may not be physical enough for Wexford. I see you're including quite a few players you had previously written off. That's very welcome. Fingers crossed for a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think Michael Brennan is a grandson of Mick “Cloney” Brennan who won All Ireland medals in the 70s and early 80s, he was a great bit of stuff at corner forward with an eye for goal. Maybe Comerman can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

Related alright but I'm not certain whether it's grandson or not, he's a hurler I'd Rate to be honest he's always been a standout in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Joe fitz was moved up to the fowards by dunnamaggin and was playing center foward in early challenge game. I heard bobby brennan was going well full back so he could play there with maybe bolger and neary in the corners.killian Corcoran will be pushing hard

Bill hughes will be on the team but id be concerned if himself,lyng and langton were across that half back line. You see the backroom team wexford have. Teams do their research and leave no stone unturned. We all agree doyle and hackett will be midfield.

Shine and gearoid dunne will obviously lead the foward line. Ben whitty was excellent the day danesfort beat thomastown in the county final a few years ago. He missed alot of hurling last year but he is a good hurler.Gearoid ,fitz,murphy could be the half foward line.m. brennan,ted dunne and harry shine ff line.

Theres a couple of players who havent kicked on from a few years ago so i wouldnt be suprised if 14 loses out. Its great that players and management have a few games before knockout. Im hoping management will have learnt from last year. Theres a good few players involved that were playing last year so they shouldn't need any motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JohnCougar

Unfortunately there is no high quality speed training being done with any of the inter county teams or development squads from what I can see. It’s a huge part of all sports these days but there seems to be lip service given to it in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah he's definitely a grandson of Mick Cloney. I haven't seen much of him play but from what I hear he's a good hurler, he did well for Comer in the relegation final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Who would typically provide that training in other counties?

• Advertisement

I am far from an expert but i picked the team based on pace and athleticism in the wing back positions, 2 lads have plenty of scope. The corner backs are aggressive,pacey and good on the ball. Paddy Langton is a very good hurler but just lacks pace and he would be well covered centre back, we can all see how skilful he is. I did not know what to do with Joe Fitzpatrick, good hurler but lacks something, similar to Bill Hughes imo. It seems a strong midfield on paper, Hackett has been very good for club at adult level, big year and game for Killian Doyle, one of the players who has not stepped up at adult level. Tried get the balance of forwards right, lot of smaller players in there, need some ball winners and presence, put the 2 senior players at centre and full forward.

Subs,

Corcoran, Lyng, Hughes, Dunne, Brennan

Management picked the team from reputations last year. I hope they do not go down the same route. Obviously we cannot see what is going on behind closed doors but going off what i have seen to date that is the team i would go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JohnCougar

There are sprint and running coaches in a lot of inter county and club set ups now. They would be people that would have been involved in athletics and who would know how to get players running and sprinting properly. There is no one in Kilkenny GAA doing that at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I have to say I 100% agree with what you said about management picking players on reputation, I think they tried to fit lads in and was to the detriment of the balance of the team. I think on the team I picked I had went with Hughes centre back and I think him and Langton are very similar, I definitely think when picking the team its either Hughes or Langton don't think there's room for both on the team. I think everyone who have picked a team have all had different 15's and I think that's a good sign and a sign of the talent on the panel. I think it's also good to see players like Bobby Brennan, Michael Brennan and Lar Murphy who, I could be wrong on this, but weren't on the team at minor coming through and pushing for a place now.

Yes, I'd agree with most of that. Whoever gets the nod let's hope they do themselves justice. We seem to all agree that there is plenty of talent on the panel, therefore if a lad is having an off day there's available replacements. And hopefully nobody is discarded with too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

V Wexford tomorrow at 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkmenn and Clare are joint favourites for next Saturday, thought Clare would be favourites due to their greater firepower. Last match before the championship so the half back and midfield selections will be interesting. I would go for Carey, Blanchfield, Muphy, Deegan and Kenny.

In the Kilkenny club championship, Thomastown are fourth favourites behind Shamrocks, OLG, and Dicksboro. Dicksboro at 15/2 looks good value to me

U21 team and 24 in circulation. Not sure was the team even named to the panel. Change in the goal. No village player starting

Kilkenny winning 3-11 to 0-7 at half time and ran out 5-20 to 0-17 points winners.

Sean Hunt, Cillian Brennan, James o Neill and Ed L doing most of the scoring.

• Advertisement

under19 development league KK 5-20 WX 0-17. No contest KK have won two out of two. Good day,good crowd.

Advertisement