Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Barry was caseless yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭brookville

I did see Peter Barry on the pitch afterwards over with the 3 mullens and they were all laughing but Peter Barry was also squaring up to one of the boro selectors in the semi final. I know tempers and passion are at an all time high but you simply can't be doing this and it's not what we want to see next year on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd imagine a few factors would have kept away casual supporters.

- it was on TV

- Bad weather

- Lack of uncertainty over the result, every preview i read or listened to went for Ballyhale, the Waterford final has had a terrible attendance the last few years.

- It was a big afternoon on TV of GAA and Soccer for those with a few interests.

On the cash on the gate issue i think its terrible on elderly people but i think its a directive from Croke Park seems to be in all counties from what I'm aware and its the same for intercounty matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I know Ronan Corcoran didn't end up going into the KK setup last year and maybe he wouldn't be able for the step up to intercounty but I firmly believe he would. When you see our starting AI midfielders Kenny and Browne go against Adrian Mullen and Ronan Corcoran with a man less on their side and they couldn't get any purchase in the game bar a fortuitous Browne goal. You would have to wonder what could be achieved with a new setup and a shake up of the status quo in the Kilkenny setup.

It would be great if Derek could persuade Ronan Corcoran to give it a shot and persuade Colin to come back for another year I think it could be huge. He needs to clean out a lot of the stragglers on in the panel and bring in fresh blood and give the young lads their head in the league and see how they fair.

Heard 8 lads from the Boro called in and I'm very happy for all of them. I'm sure won't make it this year as most are very young but I'm very surprised to hear Andy Gaffney was not called in. He was one of the top scoring forwards in this years League and Championship with lots of goals and points from play. He's a big strong lad with buckets of skill and an eye for goal. I've seen Andy umpteen times over the years and this year he was finally fit and played a full season and did very well in all bar 1 game I can think of. It just perplexes me why he wouldn't be looked at, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Agree with all of that except I don't know about bringing Colin Fennelly back in. He is out of the setup a couple of years now and up in age, I can't see him making the impact he did before. With the emphasis being on fresh blood and giving youth its chance, looking to Fennelly would be a step backwards to me.

• Advertisement

I understand what your saying but you also need a few leaders and maybe he doesn't have the drive to go back to intercounty but he has the head/experience/intelligence and still has the strength. If Kilkenny play the right kind of ball into him as Ballyhale used to a few years ago he could still cause pandemonium in opposition large rectangles.

When he played with Kilkenny he was always been thrown in big high ball that is easy to defend against especially if you're prepared. Colin is a leader and a year of him helping the young lads could be huge for their development. He might only be effective for 30-40 mins a game but that could be huge.

Look it probably won't happen but I wouldn't be upset if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

He didn't want to warm the bench when he was not performing. Can't see him wanting to do likewise for the sake of developing lads around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭brookville

came across this online and its worth watching how ballyhale really capitalised when mullen got sent off. Some of the decision making was very poor. Browne and Kenny also guilty.

Colin was asked about jackies comments and potentially coming back he dismissed it and said Jackie was playing mind games and they're determined to go one better than last year with the club. The good news for the shamrocks is joey and Colin are staying it seems. Eoin cody will probably be the captain next season.

Warming the bench wasn't Colin's issue

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Darragh Corcoran has to be brought in again, I thought he was outstanding on Sunday The whole Shamrocks team never panic on the ball take a few seconds ,head up and delivers a good ball to his team mate.the bond between all the players and panel members seems to be special (small community).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭blackcard

Any news on any other players getting a call up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

Joey Cuddihy deserves a look also. Outstanding Sunday, excellent on the ball, took his points off both sides at tight angles under pressure. As stated above the hurling the Shamrocks done after Mullen was sent off was one of the best displays I have seen in a county final. Village playing with an extra man and defensively at that could not get there hands on the ball, simply outstanding stuff. Ronan Corcoran, Joey Cuddihy and Darragh Corcrran are outstanding hurlers and deserve to be on the panel more than players like Browne, Brasil, Scanlon, O'Dwyer. As stated above a complete overhaul of the panel is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Shamrocks had that extra bit of class when it mattered most. They never waste a ball to be fair to them even with 14 players they ooze class.

Village had a good year from where they came from, they need to be cuter on the ball. Richie Reid was on the end of some aimless clearances.

From the kk side of things. Browne is clearly not a midfielder he has pace and size but his hurling is so poor. He is better as a back wing or corner back. Cian Kenny looked injured the last day, he looked leggy trying to run after players. Wouldn’t worry about him. As for Brassil I don’t know what his position is always felt he's a better back.

I’ve been to a lot of games this year so I will put out who I feel should get a go and who should be gone. I will say bar my own club games I have attended more senior than intermediate games so no doubt I am missing out on players.

Buckley/Fogarty legs seem to be gone. All be it Forgarty was good in two games I saw but maybe at inter county his time is up?

Alan Murphy there too long and never been consistently good.

Ritchie Leahy same as above.

Colm Prenderville saw him for his club and he didn’t stand out. Really poor in fact.

Darren Mullen will get a chance but he isn’t at it. He’s very slow on the turn as shown Sunday. He will probably get a chance all the same.

Give the likes of Tom Phelan, James Bergin games because I believe they have something.

Give Conor Browne a backs position but not midfield and I believe his fitness could prove an asset there.

Start Billy Ryan for all the league give him confidence because he has something to offer.

Who should be brought in. When I think of this you bring in someone who is consistently good for their club. Also Kilkenny are lacking pace so that is needed to be developed!

From my own club only Eoghan O’Neill has done well but maybe a development programme would be better. I am biased also!!

From the two intermediate finalists I could see Stephen Donnelly maybe getting a call in. Robbie Donnelly has been good but not senior level. Richie Hogan will he come back?

Ronan Corcoran has been excellent but his pace is an issue for inter county. He doesn’t seem quick on the turn but he plays great ball in.

Evan Shefflin deserves a shout without doubt been very good most games and handled big players.

The Boro lads on 8 being brought in imagine most are u20 u21. Tom Kenny was decent when I saw him and has that bit of pace.

John Walsh could get a shout too.

I know Lisdowney had a few called in last year I think, work with a guy from there so have went to two of their games the Village and Ballycallan ones.

In my eyes they have two players who should get a trial.

Kevin Sweeney deserves a shout marked Browne/Kenny and did extremely well. In the relagation final he was on Billy Ryan and was the best midfielder. He has something many kk players don’t and that is unreal recovery pace. Doesn’t look rapid but caught Billy Ryan in a footrace.

Mick Kenny has pace and strength and definitely deserves a shout although he hurler better last year. He is in the backs but could play further forward too. Marked a few county hurlers and handled them also.

Aidan Tallis was injured a lot but he will be surely in there as a goaly.

From Clara Matt Kenny deserves a chance and they have a forward think O’Donoghue who might be worth a call.

I thought Owen Wall might be called in last year but no, maybe this year but I am judging off last year too.

Long post and look I might be way off the mark with that but from the games I’ve saw those are who impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smallballman

What do people think about the goalkeeper situation? I think it's time to start blooding someone new who will be ready for action in a couple of years. Darren Brennan has been there a while and only got the odd game under Cody. Is it time to look past him now too or give him a solid run of games to see if he can cope? We know what Eoin Murphy can do but no point waiting till he's gone to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Mason would not inspire after the second goal last sunday like the one in the club final v Bally gunner. Murphy suited Cody lash up let them fight for it ,Brennan must be going on twenty seven saint lachtains gone back junior you have to wonder about him he is a good man to place a ball in a college's hand.

I think Lyng will trawl the county and is already on the move,one time there used to be a north v south junior competition at the end of the year .this could be brought back and also have an intermediate and senior north v south competition. You could then see in a competitive the cream of all three grades. What would your opinions be on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

That sounds very similar to what colm bonner did in tipp last year..he got slated for being a dinosaur and bringing up old idea's..

I am not totally opposed to the idea but might be difficult to fit it in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Grats

Eoin Murphy did what he was instructed to do under Brian Cody. I'd be confident he can adjust to a new way if asked to do so by Derek Lyng. Eoin Murphy, D Brennan and whatever other goalkeepers are involved need to be guided and instructed by somebody with a new outlook on goalkeeping. In fact last years under 20 goalkeeper could be that somebody.

The past needs to be ripped up and the likes of Eoin Murphy should be giving every chance to show if he can do the job as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Where would Paddy Deegan fit in, as regards Eoin Murphy no body is disputing it was Brian Cody instructing the issue Mcgarry doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

I know the game was over and the Village were halfway down John St. in their heads, but still, great talent.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Walsh's franchise are out Sunday and expected to beat Black and Whites. They should have a big following with half of Callan playing and Galmoy supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Grats

There were plenty on Eoin Murphy's back over the last few years blaming him for the puckout strategy. I posted on a number of occasions in reply to Murphy's critics, that surely Cody would drop Murphy if he wasn't carrying out his orders.

On Paddy Deegan, his days in the backs are finished, or should be. The three from the previous management team who selected him are gone. They were also responsible for a disastrous showing from midfield in the Final. And continued to select Billy Ryan who continued his poor form in the club championship. Conor Browne is only starting to show a bit of form in the last two weeks. He was a long way off what was required at county level but was selected for an All Ireland Final.

A lot of lessons to take on board for the new management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Leave Deegan slog away in the bad weather until we get to Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was rightly slated

It was completely archaic having a few non-competitive matches thrown together. Should instead have been gathering as much data as available from Club Analysts/Underage analysts on all players

so your going to judge how good a player is by there case history.thats why you would be wondering why a player you thought was hurling alright has being substituted f.....g stats When they get on the development squads your left with them because they are on the books and no one new is introduced although this is supposed to be chaNing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

As the club season is just about finishing up.. who that didn't start the all ireland is likely to break onto the team next year?

I'm imagine David blanchfield and Daragh Corcoran could push for starting Jersey's.

Is anyone good enough to go straight from the u20's Into senior starter.

Is it too much to hope for Billy Drennan or clifford to step up to potential starter?

Personally, I would be very confident that Murphy has the skill to hit the men if we can engineer space for the ball to be hit into them. Murphy is one of the best ever shot stoppers if he adds the puckouts on top of it we'll all be very happy.

Young Aidan Tallis from Lisdowney was excellent with the U20's this year and I would think he's worth a look but I'm not sure what age he is he might have another year at U20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Smallballman

Just to point out, I was in no way retiring Eoin Murphy. I was just thinking that he is used a lot and if he got injured for any length of time we would have a sub goalie with only a few league games under his belt to step in. But in saying that, I'm sure Derek will want to get off to a good start and use the league to build his team.

Advertisement