Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

Who’ll win the U21 A now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Grats

I posted previously that Mooncoin will take beating. They won the minor in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Thomastown deferred Bennettsbridge 3:14 to 0:19 yesterday. Thomastown v Dunamaginn now in one of the semis.

O’Loughlins awaiting the winners of Erins Own and Mooncoin who play next weekend.

Looks to be wide open with Dicksboro, any team could win it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Eddie Crowley reffed the Boro v dunnamaggin match, he is a mooncoin man whom his team is involved in the same competition,what the **** are the county board playing at.

He is also reffing the U19 final between the village and the Boro which is fine because he should be impartial.in all sports referees should always be impartial if they are not it’s really a form of cheating.

• Advertisement

Were you at the match and if so, did the ref do anything blatant to influence the result - in your opinion?

No I wasn’t at the match I was away for the weekend (I rarely miss one) Anyway my good buddies kept me informed and they said the Boro boys didn’t perform but they did think the sending off of Liam Moore on a second yellow was harsh. But besides that do you think a referee whose club has a vested interest in the game should be officiating,would there not be a more neutral ref available.

Ideally the ref should be completely neutral but it's a small enough pool to choose from. The Boro should have been well capable of overcoming such issues anyway. They weren't on the day and they lost. It may well drive them on in future matches. They ought to hurt from this loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Maybe twas all that heavy winter training he was doing had him tired and that's why he got two yellowd😝

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So, you think he was cheating/not impartial?

Sorry, do your mates think ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Mark Dowling’s U-20 Mgt Team for 2023 which will be Liam Egan (John Lockes), Robert Shortall (Clara) and JJ Delaney (Fenians), Tom Aylward (Mullinavat) will lead the S & C team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Great to see JJ getting involved,

Most definitely. Another sound lad, just like Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not that I'm any kind of expert on management but that u20 backroom team sounds very strong, I'm excited to see if they can build on what lyng was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The one and only Michael Walsh. Ah well, he’ll have plenty of time for his media duties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I heard the ref was awful biased against the Boro… from a Boro man.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

Mullinavat giving Football in the county another boost today. Hopefully it might give the national media who look down like no one gives a damn about the game in the county some attention, but the county board can improve things further surely by giving players better notice of club games in future.

After the exploits of football in the county this year you would hope the county board might show football a bit more respect rather than just throwing games on players in the early spring and wrapping up competitions over a short number of weeks. Personally i don't see anything changing in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They've a bit of a local derby in the Leinster semi final playing Fethard, most of the 2 teams would have went to Good Counsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

It's not a huge suprise that Liam egan and Robert shortall are part of the backroom team. Didn't they work with him when he won the county final with the boro? They're all great friends anyway but also sound lads.Best of luck to them. It's great to see jj dipping his toes into management. I thought Richie power might of got a look In somewhere after doing a decent job with the shock. He introduced alot of younger lads and had them playing well. I know they're fierce dissapointed not to get to the final this year.its a match they could of won.

Lyng will probably bring in some of them u20s but I don't see many of them breaking into the senior team next year. Having them on gym programmes and training at a higher level will do them no harm. Lyng will also do what cody done and not bring on a chap needlessly that he can't play u20 if that rule is still in place. Alot of that u20 team is young and the bones of a good team is available next year but we also realise we were lucky in games which is always needed of course but while it was great to win earlier in the year its important we don't get carried away. Hopefully the monkey will be off their backs because the longer we were going without a win the harder it was getting.

Maybe I'm being very harsh and I know its ultra competitive but I was at alot of intermediate and junior matches and you would struggle to pick out many of them u20s . It was such a rollercoater and we were outsiders so maybe there was a bit of a hangover after the final win.Hopefully they go well and get a bit of league experience next year.

I know its a few months before a ball is pucked but hopefully Lyng puts his own stamp on the team. Will he leave Richie Reid at 6 ?whats he going to do with midfield? I heard darragh Joyce was asked in but I was told he's gone back to oz. Des dunne hurled him and had a great year hopefully he gets a look In.Not much talk about retirements Buckley and fogarty will have a decision to make. If Richie can stay injury free and get on a run with danesfort he give it another year

Congratulations to Vegas. This isn't a huge shock they went a good run before and had a lot of players involved with kk footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

To further illustrate your point, the u15s football fixtures have still not been published for this year and we're nearly into the middle of November! It's really pathetic how football is treated in this county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There is a serious amount of clubs who don't enter any teams into any Gaelic Football competitions whatsoever. So the apathy from the county board just reflects the general apathy in the entire county towards football. So you get situations where an underage championship ends up being three teams entering teams into a competition and one team getting a bye into a final, and the three teams don't do any training for the match. It's just nonsense to win a championship medal playing just one match and devalues the medal. The kids pick up on this and then refuse to play the following year which leads to ever decreasing circles in terms of teams being entered by clubs. It's a pity in a way as there are elements of Gaelic that absolutely do assist in hurling in terms of team play and physicality etc (especially as hurling evolves into a more possession retaining game) but like the other posters above I don't see any change in people's mindsets in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

I was listening to the scoreline podcast last year where John mulhall was on and he was talking about the way at u-13/primary schools that footballers would be as good as most other county's in the country because they were playing games reguarly and it's run off between September and and December I think, which obviously means hurling doesn't interfere in that regard.

And also regarding that on the TC tyres gaelic games on community radio Jim Fennelly gets a 10 minutes slot or so to run down through all the fixtures and results, so the work is clearly being put in at that level there by people like him and many more.

It's clearly around the age from 14 upwards where the problems start and really turns into a joke thereafter. The likes of Railyard, Mullinavat, Muckalee and 1 or 2 more always put in a good effort and generally get the best out of themselves but it's hard like I said earlier when fixtures are just thrown on clubs with minimum time and prepearation to just prepare. A lot of players just play to get the fitness up and running for hurling later on in the year.

Post edited by kentu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

True, there is apathy among coaches at club level which feeds down to the children. However as kentu said, the county board really set the tone when they publish fixtures at a few days notice in the depth of the off season and try to run the competition off as quickly as possible. It's clear that they see no value in a football competition and they have no intention of promoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Any news on players called in or dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Village87

Hopefully we get a few retirements. Lads like Buckley need to go. There time is up, thanks for the service and lets build a new team under new management. We don't need another debacle like when Micheal Rice and Jackie Tyrell wouldn't retire and Cody had to eventually tell them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its worse with Ladies GF.

10 clubs that play in the county, and the Co board do no promotion of the game. Matches bookended in before/after camogie matches.

It wont ever take off because the LGFA wont do enough to allow it to.

Also the vast majority of primary schools play GF - Cumann na Bunscol etc, Why arent these boys/girls encouraged to keep playing?

It must be down to reluctance by Gaa clubs to properly maintain teams, and show interest in GF ?

Its a pity.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I wouldn't be so rude and so thankless as to suggest any player should retire. But you could look at your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Because nobody cares. (Or not enough people anyway) . Hurling is the be-all and end-all here and that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Ah would you give over posting nonsense about the lgfa the whole time. No one cares. Maybe clubs in the south of the county like kilmacow, slieverue, piltown and mooncoin who contribute little or nothing to our county hurling teams should be encouraged to concentrate on the football. Only way for players from these clubs to get on a county team in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just to say that Muckalee Ladies fooballers are in the leinster final on Saturday.

Advertisement