Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

And nearly got a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Saw Browne against Lisdowney and he got a point near the end but hardly did much else. It actually looked as if Lisdowney targeted him their forwards and midfielders took the ball off him a few times and most of there players went at him.

Brassil was good and is a decent hurler.

Cian Kenny isn’t a centre back and got cleaned out he sat deep and looked for ball from full back. If I was the village I’d switch him and Browne for the physicality.

Browne is not near kk level and anytime I see him he hardly hits the ball he might put in a big hit. There was at least two or 3 Lisdowney players who looked better hurlers (on this day anyway) for kk level maybe not the athletes he is but we want hurlers don’t we.

Now I haven’t seen them since that game so maybe he’s improving but he’s had plenty of goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Remember this game well, was big talk at time why he wasn’t starting. Yep nearly grabbed a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

From the 2000 year book....

"The Leinster Final in OʼMoore Park, Portlaoise, was an epic. There was not a better match played anywhere in the country all year. Three years previously, practically the same Kilkenny team hammered nearly the same Offaly team in the

Leinster Minor Final. It was never going to happen in Portlaoise, where the supercharged Offaly men were more than a match for the Kilkenny lads in a pulsating seventy minutes of hurling.The abiding statistic of the game was that Kilkenny were forced into playing “catch-up” from the moment Conor Gath fired over a magnificent Offaly point fron fully ninety yards out from Jamie Powerʼs goal.That score arrived inside the first two minutes. Defensive lapses allowed Brendan Murphy and full-forward, Eoin McGuinness, hammer in goals within a minute of each other midway through the first half. Tom Drennan and John Barron answered with two Kilkenny goals to leave just four points between the sides at the break. Offaly surged forward on the resumption. They clipped over some great points from Paul Molloy, David Murray, Brendan Murphy and Rory Hannify. They were riding high.

However, the Kilkenny lads were not going to die too easily.

Mick Kavanagh, and Aidan Cummins ventured forward more, Pat Tennyson was “catching hayseed” at midfield, and Rebel Power, Alan Barry and John Barron started to cause dreadful uncertainty in the Offaly defence. By the 54th minute, the huge gap had been whittled down to two points. The injured HenryShefflin - like a demented warrior on the sideline - arrived on the park to a huge roar. The last frantic minutes were heart stopping. In fairness, the winners deserved - just about - to win, but they got some opposition on the road.

The final score was Offaly 3-14 Kilkenny 2-14.

Kilkenny: Jamie Power, Paul Shefflin, Noel Hickey, Michael Kavanagh (0-1), Micheál Hoyne, Aidan Cummins, Colin Herity, JP Corcoran (0-1), Pat Tennyson, Kenneth Moore, Tom Drennan (1-1), Paddy OʼBrien (0-1), Alan Barry (0-1), Kevin Power (0-7, 5frees), John Barron (1-2), Subs: Brian Phelan, Paul Buggy, John Morgan, Henry Shefflin. Eddie Walsh, Pat Butler, Paul Costello, Cillian Breathneach, John OʼNeill."

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DeHorse88

Kilkenny u21 Quarter Finals starting in next few weeks, how would this be ranked for favourites of these games to genuine championship winners?

O’Loughlins v James Stephens

Dunamaggin v Dicksboro

Thomastown v Bennettsbridge

Erins Own v Mooncoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Marrooned

No favorites in the U21 championship. O loughlins beaten last year by a young boro team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Grats

Mooncoin will take beating at under 21.

On the new minor panel of 51 players Billy Fitzpatrick from the Boro why?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Comerman

He's playing minor, leave the kid alone and give him a chance. By the way I've no idea who the chap is but I'm sure he's thrilled to be there albeit a panel of 51

I don't understand the question as from my reading the chap isn't on the panel. If he's asking why not, I think he's overage for next year.

😳 Apologies so, as I said I've no idea about the chap. Just used to knockers on here I suppose 😊

Sorry about that f...up I meant why wasn’t he included in this new minor panel ,he was certainly one of the Boro’s top performers if not the best,now I think he might have another year at minor level, but this thing about only playing lads who are up to the age is a load of bollox. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.Eddie Keher, Jimmy Doyle and Dick o’Hara To name but three played four years at minor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great weekend so far for the Village winning the intermediate Camogie and the u13 Roinn A hurling championships.

Hope they can do the big one tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

Small suprise with thomastown beating the boro in the camogie final. I wasn't at the match and the wind probably spoiled it but the boro had chances but ttown worked like absolute dogs today.ttown are also on a high won the minor b and are in the u15 b final

Public address system in the park is cat. Shamrocks are some team on the move. The village were non existent between there first and second goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ballyhale some team alright. Village must be disappointed especially having a man up.

This particular Ballyhale contingent will go down in history as the best. I was thinking a few years ago the had Henry, Feno, Cha, plus the Reids that are still present but not as successful in the honours list. Just goes to show you can never compare teams past and present. I'm not taking anything from their success but just got me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

TJ Reid is a God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

What a second half performance from the Shamrocks. One of the best I have ever witnessed with 14 men. There composure on the ball was a joy to watch. Poor form out of Peter Barry to grab Patrick Mullen, mentors have no right to touch players in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

Re Peter Barry, felt the same myself, and his subsequent sneering of Mullen was very unedifying. Not great carry-on from a county selector. Fair play to that Shamrocks mentor for jumping in, and it seemed to spur on The Shamrocks, they were some force from then on.

The Village have some fine young hurlers but they were up against an irresistible force.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Fair dues to the Shamrocks, an incredible team who just know how to win. Hard luck to the Village, its no disgrace to be beaten by a better team and their effort could not be faulted.

However it was a poor finish to a poor local championship. The standard of teams other than the Shamrocks has really gone back this year. There were very few really decent or even entertaining matches. Where is there a realistic challenger to them in the next few years? Most of the other teams will be delighted if they can avoid relegation. Derek Lyng has an unenviable job.

Finally, the really big issue from yesterday was the very small crowd that attended. The weather was poor but its been poor plenty of times in the past. Being live on tg4 was a factor but its shown live nearly every year and crowds were a lot better. The county board policy of pre selling tickets and not taking cash on the day has really turned off a lot of people and the results are there to see. Is there even the slightest chance that this will be discussed at the next county board meeting? It has to have hit them in their pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭kksaints

What was the attendance figure for yesterday? Surprised to hear it described as very low but there has been disapointment at the low attendance figures for matches in a few neighbouring counties club championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

Not sure where you were sitting but in Ardan De Gras it was perfect, much better than what you'd hear in other places.

Shamrocks were class yesterday, the first Village goal seemed to wake Shamrocks up and same with the sending off, Village had no answer. Definitely a red but Peter Barry shouldn't have gotten involved.

Disappointed with the result but can have no complaints, some really slick stick work from the Shamrocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

Ballyhale just an unbelievable club and how they just keep producing top class players is unreal. No poaching players or no fancy dressing rooms. Just the basics done very well every time. The attendance yesterday was less than 6 thousand which is shocking to be fair no matter what the weather is like or if its on TV. If u went up with cash at the gate yesterday the stewards woukd help you out and get you a tickets. Cork obviously a huge county but they had 15 thousand. Its a privilege to go in and look at some of the things tj done. He's probably the best I've seen,consistently doing it for club and county.

Ballyhale are in good hands adrian mullen,cody and darragh corcoran,Brian cody,Evan shefflin will drive that team for the next 10 years. Shortall got a smashing score off the hurl. He's only in 6th year. The sending off probably helped shamrocks. Kenny went out of it altogether after a good 1st half but shamrocks just kept the ball away from him and made him redundant. The ball the village were driving in to scanlon and guilfoyle was awful. Big high balls instead of keeping it out to the sides. Dwyer went out of it aswell.

Really impressed with daragh corcoran he's after filling out and hopefully himself and David blanchfield will tried wing back next year for the county.

Advertisement