Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Fred Daly. On the overall scheme of things I would agree with that statement, although I was not happy with the referee at the end of the Windgap v Boro game He awarded a penalty and then preceded to ask the umpires if he was right,actually I didn’t even think it was a free he also ruled against the linesmen for two Dicksboro scores. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rathmineslad

Have to agree with your assessment in relation to referring decisions/ dicksboro can feel aggrieved with decisions/ find with this ref its aways a multitude of talking points /but should be a cracker of a final / windgap have made great progress and blacks and whites when they get to a final will give there all

Looking forward to the junior final and I wish both teams all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭davidx40

I'm sorry but Windgap are far from a genuine junior club .......how many callan players are playing for them it's a disgrace .....15 years there fielding a joined team with galmoy underage which was originally granted for one year at minor level .....goes unchecked every year at county convention where it is supposed to be voted on every year .....while other junior clubs looked to field juvenile teams for one and two years together and we're told no by Windgaps Jimmy Walsh .....it's a complete joke if they win junior with 5/6 John Locke's players .....totally unfair on what you call Genuine junior clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Taking them Callan lads was hardly a slam dunk in the success stakes given their harmonious nature or team spirit. Fare play to both Jnr clubs. Shud be keenly contested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Why is there so many Callan lads hurling with them there must be a problem with in the club in Callan and the facilities they have out there and they are throwing in there lot with a club like Wind gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭brookville

The whole power thing is well known and its a pity but windgap have certainly benefitted.i know a few clubs rejected the players request to join from callan.

Wingap were lucky enough yesterday and the point someone was trying to make is that they'd prefer a teams first team winning the junior and not a city's second team. Windgap look to have the best players to compete at intermediate.

Piltown will be disappointed to lose that match yesterday after being in the driving seat but fair play to skeough and looking at the programme they have good numbers.

Tullaron match went along the lines most expected. Competitive for a long time and eventually the shamrocks pull away. Tullaron deserve huge credit their full back line was very good and Tommy at 3 had a great tussle with fennelly. The goal wasn't his fault and he got a point or 2 out the field. Tommy beat fennelly in a few foot races which isn't easily done. Shamrocks had cuddihy to bring on and he got a few points as did shefflin at wing back as he always does

I hope Shane Walsh gets a proper run with Lyng. A few of us have being saying it for a few years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shamrocks deserved winners, thought a few decisions went against Tullaroan but Shamrocks showed what they are by getting the next 3 points after Tullaroan got their goal. Colin Fennelly put in a decent shift and it was well worthwhile bringing him back from America.

You could have 5 players from yesterday playing in the Kilkenny forward line next year with Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen TJ, Mossy and Shane Walsh. TJ has been quiet enough in most matches. I wouldn't mind seeing Bill Sheehan in the subs but he is a real summer hurler, wouldn't play him in the league.

Tullaroan should have as good a chance as anyone next year with Joey Holden ,TJ, Colin Fennelly and Richie Reid a year older

All the Kilkenny clubs should be getting together on this community radio issue and voice there opinions in the strongest possible way. Everyone these days seems to be rode roughshod over weather it’s a good thing or a bad thing, it has to stop somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bamayang

Played against windgap many times over the years. Very well run club and they have been on the upward trajectory with their junior team over last 5 years. But since the Callan lads joined, they fast forwarded by about 5 years.

Played em this year and centre back, 2 mid fielders, centre forward and full forward were Powers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

There is great club spirit in Windgap and they’ve done massive work in the community in general, a lot of it at their own expense. I don’t know if the Powers approached Windgap or vice versa, nor do I know the reason why they’re no longer playing for callan but I can guarantee you they wouldn’t be playing for Windgap if they weren’t towing the line.

Shamrocks did as they always do, turned the screw when they had to and could’ve turned it more as well in the end. Shane Walsh will surely get a run with the county and whilst he has always been good for Tullaroan, anytime I saw him playing for Kk he was absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smallballman

I never comment on here and enjoy reading other people's opinions on things. However, I couldn't make the semi finals today so I tuned into KCLR. Absolutely awful coverage. Started both halves late after music and ads. Talked for over a minute at the start about blacks & whites match yesterday, took nearly 5 minutes to names the starting teams, lost count of how many references to Daragh Joyce using AFL rules in today's match, stuttering and stammering through the whole game. Surely there are other lads available who can do better than this? I have never heard the other station commentary but it could not be any worse than that stuff today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Comerman

If Adrian Ronan mentioned a "shamozzle" once he said it a hundred times. Very hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

As regard the Callan lads with Windgap John locks had to realise them before they could play with another club so they were happy enough to let them go.

Small suprise with danesfort beating the rower. Conditions were awful and it was a low scoring game. The rower scored very little from play. Leahy led the charge for them but any team with Richie and Murphy and paddy In the goal who made a few very good saves will always have a chance

Ttown will be happy to get over the line. They upped it in the 2nd half but cshock drove 4 wides at the end to level it and also conceded a soft goal and a few points. It was a missed opportunity possibly for cshock who were the better team in the 1st half but John donnelly was on a lot of ball and Robbie was also good.

I was at the 3 matches in the park yesterday and 2 today and I met a lot of genuine supporters who are fierce dissapointed with kclr.

They might of won this but they lost a huge amount of respect in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Charlie69

He's absolutely terrible... as a listener you have no idea what's going on, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭kentu

Yeah KCLR really letting themsleves down with the standard of their own commentators infairness. I usually dont ever have to listen to KCLR much but had no other choice other than to this weekend, with regards to everything that has happened in the past week it's not a good look. Although I thought Eddie Scally was decent enough on Co Commentary, I'd say Ronan went close to mentioning Blacks and Whites win yesterday as much as he was actually commenting on the Shocks Ttown game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Grats

Great credit to all four teams today for the entertainment they provided in such miserable wet conditions. Wasn't easy and a final spot at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Great game yesterday in those conditions. Ttown we’re value but the four misses from us could have scared them. Hard final to call now but I’ll go Danesfort just.

Senior final will be very good village seem to be going well. They will need to get their match ups spot on. Ballyhale probably have too much all over. Cody will be a factor and his cuteness can’t be underestimated! Was at them v Lisdowney and he was coaching players nicely.

From a Kilkenny pov are they going back soon? Don’t seem to hear of any retirements. I reckon a few players will be culled.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Two good games yesterday considering the conditions. The rain was worse during the second game and from Thomastown point of few that is exactly the type of game we needed and have failed to win in the past.

Carrickshock were the better team up until there goal but only scored 1 point and got no score in the final quarter, whereas thomastowns response to the shocks goal was to score 1-5 so happy to dig it out.

Danesfort were well worth their win and got loads more from there forwards and managed the game well. Richie Leahy hurled very well but lacked support, Darragh Joyce looked decent but lacked sharpness and made poor decisions which is natural considering he has missed so much hurling.

Final should be a cracker and hopefully the weather will be better.

The county final is on tg4 Sunday.Hopefully it's a good match. Shamrocks weren't at their best Saturday but never really looked liked losing it. Thought tullaron were unlucky with a few frees conceded plus the goal was probably preventable further out but that's what this Shamrocks team just do. They're going for 5 in a row which is some achievement In a championship like kk.

The village have a decent record against them but they will need alot to go right obviously. Fennelly and tj interchanging caused tullaron trouble so physically cian kenny will be under pressure.

From a kk perspective we need brassill,kenny and browne to have big games and try cement their names with kk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Village87

Browne and Brasil are not intercounty hurlers, and no 2 hurlers got more chances.

Browne is there a few years and his hurling should be better.

Brassil had a few personal issues and has a good season with the club and hitting frees well.

He definately hadn't a load of chances.

Maybe with the new management team lads might play better or get more one and one which gives them confidence.

A county final win could kick start a lads career. Didn't it kick-start eoin larkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Grats

Browne was making steady enough progress until his injury last year which ruled him out until the summer of this year. With such little hurling under his belt it was a major surprise, and a huge mistake, to start him in the All Ireland Final.

It wasn't the only big mistake on the day, as we all well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Lads any of yee know why in 2000 Shefflin didn't start the u21 Leinster final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

I was at that game and I seem to remember him being active up and down the sideline, something he couldn`t do if he was suspended, so I assume he was injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Advertisement