Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Village87

Shamrocks match was over after 10mins. Nothing to take from the match only Colin and Joey needed it. If the Shamrocks wanted to keep up the work rate after of the first 10 mins they would have won by 30+ points. TJ was out for a leisurely stroll

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Are the Senior Quarter finals this coming weekend? And next rounds of Intermediate & Junior?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rathmineslad

my predictions

boro v mullinavat (boro just but not if they played like they did against clara )

shamrocks v clara (shamrocks but expect a battle from the clara men)

james stephens v bennetsbridge ( the bridge just about -battle of neighbours )

erins own v tullaroan (tullaroan to continue the winning streak)

rower v mooncoin ( rower )

carrickshock v dunnamaggin (carrickshock)

conahy v danesfort (danesfort)

thomastown v saint martins (thomastown )

only going on what i have seen so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Juniors and seniors this weekend. Two senior in the park Saturday (tullaroan v Erin’s own and The Bridge v the village) and two Sunday (dicksboro v Vat and Clara v shamrocks).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Just so I have my dates right

Senior QFs weekend 24/25 Sept

Intermediate QFs weekend 1/2 October

Senior SFs weekend 8/9 Oct

Intermediate SFs 15 Oct

Senior final 16 Oct

Intermediate final 23 Oct

That correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Scary from the shamrocks when you think joe cuddidy,Darren mullen and Brian cody didn't even play.tj only strolling around but fair play to Glenmore they never gave up. The fought till the end. Billy Reid got 2 good scores and alan Murphy fought hard. Alyward was also sharp. Its being a good year for Glenmore and they're on the right track. Ballyhale are just an exceptional team.

I do think clara will give them plenty of it but ultimately the shamrocks will have too many good players around the pitch. Clara have got drawn the shamrocks early the last few years.

I know it was only the league but the bridge were shocking. Jason cleere won't be back but Rob lennon came on. Maybe the imminent departure of their management team has dampen things but the village will be delighted to win and some big calls were made dropping gilly.

Comer also will be delighted and played some good stuff and all this without Michael Murphy. They had a conor mccmahon wing back who was very good getting up and down the field.

But tullaron look like a team on a mission I was impressed with them the few times I've seen them. Gearoid dunne is a big addition from last year. He is strong as a bull and Shane Walsh works well off him. John Walton is just a lovely hurler who floats around and usually gets a few points every match. Mossy had a good year with the county. Would I be right in saying they can't meet the shamrocks till the final if they progress?

Not surprisingly Andy comerford stepped down. They had a very dissapointing year after getting to the final last year and push the shamrocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Predictions Senior QFs

Mullinavat

Shamrocks

Bridge

Tullaroan

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

There's nothing stopping Tullaroan meeting the Shamrocks in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Senior Q/F's - 24/25 Sept

Junior & Intermediate Q/F's - 1/2 October

Senior S/F's - 9 October

Junior S/F's - 15 October

Intermediate S/F's - 16 October

Senior Final - 23 October

Junior & Intermediate Final - 30 October

Not sure if this is correct but Junior semi's are usually played in Nowlan Park as well. Can anyone confirm definite dates if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I thought it was;

Senior Q/F's - 24/25 Sept

Senior S/F's -1/2 October

Senior Final - 16 October.

So 3 weeks in a row. From 1st round to semi finals and then a break of a week and then the final.

Not sure why it's so early considering the leinster club doesn't start until middle of November. There should be another gap week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Shamrocks are definitely the team to beat no doubt about it but their probably more vulnerable than they have been for a good few years. Ronan Corcoran is playing through injury from what I've heard and is coming off early most days. Joey Cuddihy has a broken toe and is unlikely to be seen this side of a county final and Darren Mullen and Bridan Cody have been struggling with injuries and fitness from the start of the year and are both unlikely to play before a county final or if they play how long will they last.

This leaves the bench incredibly bare for the Shamrocks the only real known option is a 40 year old Eoin Reid the rest have struggled when playing better opposition. None of this is to say they should be anything but favourites but if they pick up a few injuries and they have to rely on what comes off the bench you'd have to wonder can they plug all the gaps. Tullaroan exploited their backs ruthlessly in the last round of the league and if Ballyhale are forced to sit out more players I think they can be turned. If they hold onto their starting 15 I would expect them to win it and probably win it easily.

I see Tullaroan as certs to get to the semis.

Ballyhale should be similar but Clara do not go away in games and if things fall their way I wouldn't be shocked if they squeeze out Ballyhale but I'm still calling Ballyhale to win.

The Bridge is a real conundrum they were going fierce well the first few rounds but have struggled more recently. I think the Willie Maher to Laois news might have rocked them a bit but I would expect them to have enough in the tank to beat the neighbours on the day. A few Village lads I meet reckoned if Lisdowney had their full compliment that the Village would likely be in a relegation final now. Their not though and they will be dangerous if the Bridge aren't switched on, I'll still go with the Bridge though.

The Boro and Vegas game should be a huge battle. Vegas struggled at the start of the year but since they've got their players back from injury they've been in top form. The Boro started poor against the Bridge but bounced back strong after that. A poor game against the Village in bad conditions and a very poor second half performance against Clara will have Boro men nervous. Vegas will bring tons of strength and physicality on top of their skill. If they can curb their enthusiasm so they don't conceded too many frees they will probably win this. The only thing counting against them is they have a poor enough record in the Park in recent years and the Boro are well used to it. The Boro will need big performances from young players to get over this one and thats always a hard one to call. If the likes of Timmy Clifford and Liam Moore hurl to their ability along with the rest it's hard to see the Boro being beat but can they or will they be let by Vegas is another matter. As a Boro man I'm sticking with my own but for me this is the toughest call of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Village87

Dicksboro had a massive win in the junior. Surely some of these players will be in contention for the weekend. 5-23 is great scoring against Shamrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The juniors are out again on Saturday, section B semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Are the games in Nowlan Park this weekend being streamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Boro weren’t too bad but Shamrocks would not have sufficient numbers for a second adult team to be in contention. Eoin Reid and Mark Alyward were playing and they have to be in around the 40 mark. Fair play to them alone for effort, not easy on any team. But most of them lads could have all Ireland club medals at the end of the year.

Is this a new job or has someone retired/retiring/moving on??

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Neewollah

This is the main recommendation from the Mick Dempsey committee. New role

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Haha hope ye like life in the stone age if that's the case. Yel be winning nothing anytime soon from what I see of yer current squad system!

Its a pity really as hurling can't afford to loose kk from the top table

• Advertisement

So you’re rival supporter disguised as a Kilkenny supporter??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

For the games in Nowlan park this weekend do pensioners have to buy tickets in advance & then get refund or can they just show relevant ID at the gates & go in without a ticket does anybody know?

From kk gaa website

Admission €10

Under 16’s Free

Pensioners with the Official Government Pensioners Card (Including the photograph) will have free entry to this game.

Please note that admission is to Ardan de Gras only via Stiles on Hebron Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Shamrocks Clara game likely to be postponed due to a bereavement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Guilfoyle the difference when he came on but Bennettsbridge were awful. Two average enough games and I wonder do these games suffer for being played in Nowlan Park with a small crowd. I think put those games in a club ground and they'd be much better. Maybe just use the Park for the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Tullaron got a bit of fright before eventually putting comer away. Wallace was a sweeper and was on a lot of ball, fogarty was also very good. Delaney and mossy had a good battle when mossy went into full. Shane Walsh was very sharp

Bennetsbridge will be dissapointed,looked comfortable enough before o dwyer got a good goal.Gilly coming on for the village made a difference. The bridge will be dissapointed they just downed tools in the last few minutes. Their bigger players weren't effective although David blanchfield tried hard and nicky cleere excellent on frees. The bridge need ro seriously look in the mirror.Fair play to the village tho and well done to cody for helping out. They've turned things around in a few weeks.i don't see them winning the final but they won't fear any team.

I thought the ref was very poor and was a bit harsh on the bridge at time.

Condolences to joey holden and his family on the passing of his dad rip

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Yea two games that never really sparked. Comer are a fine big team but have nothing really up front. Tullaroan looked far from sharp for long periods today but comers inability to hurt them up front helped to compensate. Walsh did all his best stuff far from goal and delaney was very effective at fb.

Bridge could have been out the gate by half time. They hit a serious amount of wides. Village relied on frees and just hung in there until almost by accident they realized that hitting in low ball to space was far more effective that shooting from their half back line. Bridge got the yips with about 15 to go even thou they were still quiet comfortable and looked like they would be turned over from then on.

• Advertisement

I think Conor McMahon deserves a mention too, Comer haven't got the forwards to punish teams. Better team won today, best of luck to Tullaroan 👍

Advertisement