Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I think it's a little more complicated than that. Management have a lot to answer for last Saturday. Heard they told the players after the game to take a two week break. Players told them no, we've too much to work on. So, no break. Manager has only managed club before. Not to mention, a lot of good players are injured atm. Creedon, probably the best football find this year, was dropped for discipline issues again (not his first rodeo - needs to wake up).

There's been a huge investment in the senior football panel this year. The football panel is bigger than the hurling panel. A lot of young players brought in, over 40 players getting inter county S&C this year and that will continue. O'Brien is a great S&C appointment. They got him before they got the manager. Plenty of good work at underage going on too.

But yes, way more needs to be done in Thurles and up North. Loughmore and JK Brackens model would be one to follow. That said, both Thurles and Nenagh is big enough to have two separate panels. No excuse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

not so sure re how young they are…. including the 5 subs last night, i think 3 of the 20 played are underage next year

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thats my opinion,we'll have to agree to disagree, its not that complicated overall, if O'Brien and Connors were fit last week they would have won. But overall for a long time Tipperary were playing the best teams consistently in the country, Cork\Kerry, Clonmel High school reached Corn Ui Mhúiri in last 10 years as well which was incredible.I remember in the last 10 years Tipp won u-14 and u16 Munster against Cork and Kerry. Now in Munster they are in a pool with the weaker counties, the expectations aren't there I was at the Tipp minor football match vs Cork last year and if they had dual players they would have won in my opinion. There are always 5-6 guys who excel and could easily play both with minimal football training, (tapering of training and the guys in the football panel would go with it too, everyone wants the best guys to play) it could be managed really well especially with how sports science has evolved in last 20 years.

They have a training pool of more players how much does that cost I'll bet you anything very little in the grand scheme of things. Tipp hurling is killing football when it doesnt have to, Tipp should consistently be a top 10-15 gaelic football county with standout teams every 5-10 years, county its big enough, it requires root and branch changes in Mid and North Tipp, standalone football clubs, Thurles Sarsfields may as well give teams a walkover and not bother participating the amount of work they put it into it, crazy stuff really when you consider its all GAA. In Thurles you hear guffaws like "Every football should be burst" its really dark ages stuff and that filters down to kids playing when they see that the best players aren't playing football.

On a managers note John Evans, Liam Kearns (RIP) compared to current guy, a million miles away would be better off getting some homegrown coaches in.

We reach and lose 2 All Ireland minor finals (which most counties would kill for) and it all changes, ridiculous decision…And one having a serious impact now.

Anyone playing for Tipp hurling teams at any grade expects to win, that drive is sorely missing from these Tipp underage football teams.5-6 of them in playing on merit transforms everything and makes the other football panelists better at the same time.

At least 7 of the panel played under 15 last year alone.

Big squads are big money.

Yes, there is a drop off of dual players come minor. But plenty play both up to under 14, 15, and 16. There's more players/teams being developed now and competitions so hopefully that will change. The pick will become bigger over the next few years.

There is good work being done but it will take time. The most disappointing thing is the amount of players who bolted after getting a munster medal in 2020. But they can't be blamed either.

The right managerial appointments is key going forward.

• Advertisement

Drop off in dual players was policy after those two minor All Irelands reached, football was blamed for the hurling loss and they were allowed to get away with it. Which was absolutely crazy at the time and has effectively prevented almost a generation of players progressing once they were gone Quinlivan, Bill Maher, no ready made replacements.

Doubt it. It's just not feasible to train for and play both at minor while preparing or doing a LC. Numbers are there for separate squads. Dual player at inter county from minor up is gone

See quotes above on player\time management with the improvements in sports science. Its possible if done smartly. Whatever about after minor thats a different story. But it can definitely work up to minor with smart management and a whole different attitude, it brought us to All Ireland minor finals in 2016. Just 8 years ago

Post edited by CorkFenian on

ah well that’s already happening.. plenty of overlap of players all” the way up to u15 and u16. Plenty of the better players for the minors and 20s played hurling too

Not the case with minors since 2016 which is really the point I'm making :)

From chatting to friends who have had kids playing minor past few years, I'm not hearing much about clever management involving dual players, the precedent was set and football blamed for the hurling loss, nuts behaviour

• Advertisement

Well, one of the Tipp’s best minor hurlers in recent years was Orrin Jones. Best forward with the Tipp 20s footballers now. Creedon, McGarry, Leamyand more have all played minor and under 20 last year with the hurlers - currently on the Tipp senior football panel. Conor Cadell, Kyle Shelly, Tadhg Condon, James Armstrong, and Paddy Creedon have all played minor football and under twenty hurling. Most of them with the senior footballers now

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Dual at minor is impossible now with the calender.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KClon11

Good to have wins for our minors and 20s the last 2 nights!

Sports science improvements and clever player management, harder in the opening rounds alright as games very close, but at that age they play a lot of games anyway, you'll find the minors playing Harty, club, challenge games every weekend anyway, all piled on, if both football\hurling minor selectors have a good relationship and plan together in January would make it much more feasible. (Keep in mind we're talking about 3-6 exceptional players here who play a lot of games anyway)

On a personal note I know of minors over last few years who have been flogged with no connection on sports science with school, club, county, its been rinse repeat stuff, on the go the whole time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

In Cork, you are basically told to pick one. Isn't really an option anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah standards so high now, you won't develop and reach your max potential if you're missing alot of training and spending half the time playing another sport.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Where has Tom Delaney disappeared to? Just given up the game altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Not really. All depends on what training you miss for each sport as depending on the sports a multi sport athlete is playing there can be considerable overlap in some areas of training and playing other sports will bring out strengths/ players with focus on 1 sport alone may not have

I would agree past minor thats the case, we'll never see a senior guy like Teddy Mac\George O'Connor again etc all I'm saying is play the best players up to minor after that it will even out anyway, in Tipperary its a known fact that the last number of years there are better minor footballers watching in the stands and not playing but no one is referencing the moment this changed in 2016 and how ludicrous that decision was and the huge detrimental impact its had since

• Advertisement

Its an option for the best 2-3 trust me. Cork never really needed that anyway as they have a huge Cork City\East Cork - West Cork divide when it comes to GAA which they are only successfully dealing with and managing now at under age level as can be seen by their U-20 successes, they have the numbers as well to make up any inbalance, Tipperary by comparison have always needed and thrived with dual players up to minor level. Different counties altogether.

Tipperary Blue 2-16 Cork East 3-13

Tipperary Gold 3-14 Cork City 1-14

Congratulations @camogietipp on a fantastic victory 🔵🟡 showed real character and fight

Jerome Cahill on overcoming Jack Doyle (Kilkenny) to win the All-Ireland Junior Men's Handball title in Croke Park.

Good win for the minors and under 20s footballers last few nights: Munster U20 Football Championship
    Tipperary -: 1-10(13)
    Clare;: 0-7(7)

This lad can play: https://x.com/clubber/status/1780652628558397501

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KClon11

Great to see some positive results for the footballers

Great for them to be getting so many games at minor and under 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see an ad on the Limerick Post newspaper regarding directly electing a mayor " History will be made by the people who are almost sick of winning all irelands " ! Jesus I don't know what they'd do if the came from a county like Tipperary, cork or Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Every Tipperary man woman and child needs to be in Limerick on Sunday week, no excuses! We get one chance at this championship every year simple as that.

• Advertisement

Munster GAA Referees Administrator Johnny Ryan has said there will be a clamp-down on throwing and over-carrying as the inter-county senior hurling championship gets underway this weekend.

Advertisement