Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Can't agree, we seem to have no plan or playing style. I think we are majorly up against it. Almost Davy like tactics pulling out forwards. Forde should have been left onfrees. Connors and Ryan taking them is a panicked management.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KClon11

There was times today where Jake was the only one inside for miles. It’s actually tough to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'll reserve judgement for championship. I think after missing five frees you've got to try someone else.

Jason must been feeling pressure as goc was so good on them early in the league . He hadn't any competition for frees with years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Usrwastaken

I cant see him as the right man for the job, Weve played like you said since he joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Waterford 15 were probably a lot better than this tipp 15 which Is a little worrying.

Well, I think, G O'C started on them against Limerick. Missed a few. Jason took over. I think O'Connor looks tired. Played a lot of Fitz and league and this is it, form in the league won't be worth anything to anyone come championship. It's rare a player holds form throughout the entire year and if you do, you're usually in the running for hurler of the year. Fitzgerald might have one of those years for Clare or he might go flat at some stage. That's the tight rope for any player/team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ah here, the " bonding " should be well and truly done at this stage. That was shocking today, absolutely shocking. I'm sick and tired of hearing "ah sure their trying their best " or " they make fierce sacrifices ". We know all that it's a given if you're involved in senior county hurling. Someone has to go in there and give the whole lot of them ,squad, management, masseurs, psychologists, the lot, a right bollocking because that's not good enough, simply not good enough for a Tipperary team. There's enough money being splashed around with them and they go out and produce that sort of shyte!

Well someone better and that's for sure because it's simply not good enough. Maybe a bit of straight honest talking is what's lacking I don't know but apart from the shocking display by most of the players there's a sizeable staff there on good bucks and expenses who certainly are not delivering based on what we witnessed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

out of the 4 teams in the semi finals this weekend you lads did the most experimenting , john mcgrath and paddy cadell were both on the bench and never introduced , that was a sign of how serious the manager was about the game , the big disappointment was the lack of desire of the players on the field especially the lads being given a chance

teams with players to come back before championship

kilkenny 3 to 4 approx.

clare 4 to 6

limerick 5 to 7

tipperary 6 to 8 at least

I agree but it was worse than a disappointing lack of desire. What was actually scary was the quality or lack of quality in their hurling. I'm just a no mark on boards like everyone else here and what do we know but FFS something has to be done and done soon.

the thing is with tipperary is they dont have to hit fifth gear until may , say in round two they lose their first game against limerick , assuming we lose in week one , there next games are against cork waterford and clare , they will have abetter idea of where they stand from the cork v clare game assuming cork win against waterford in round one , which is played the same day

it basically becomes a straight shoot out in them last 3 games in an almost mini round robbin to advance in munster , it would seem that is what cahill is homing in on

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭farmerval

The team looked shagged tired today, I assume they're in the middle of heavy training, they looked like Limerick did last night.

Overall, I don't think we had a good league. Craig Morgan getting plenty of hurling has been the bright spot. Robert Byrnes I am totally puzzled on? I don't see what he brings. We've tried loads in midfield but with no consistency. I don't think Bonnar has anything to offer. We flogged Gearoid O Connor when he was flying in the colleges. Where is Barry Heffernan? His versatility is normally a great addition. Barrett is to come back in also.

Today's team didn't look like it was picked to win, with the two Stakelums, Dan McCormack, Bonnar, we looked over stacked on workers and not enough scorers. I thought both teams today might leave off the handbrake a bit more when Limerick were out. I assume neither wanted to meet them again so near championship.

Our shape as a team is worrying, our system seems to leave at least one opposing half back very free to come up field at will. We also don't seem to have away of getting our inside forwards good ball. If we're to go anywhere this year, getting Jake and Jason Forde on the ball as often as possible will be required. Both normally have great strike rates and are excellent goal takers.

Said while back if Byrne is starting we are in big trouble. He tries to be physical and can't even do that.

We've about 4 or 5 to come back. We don't have 6 to 8.

Cadell was out a long time, so he'll be under pressure to get to form. Looked very rusty against Limerick, even if he had to deal with a few hospital passes. I'd like to see him given a more offensive role in midfield as a sub. Not a starter for me.

Young Darragh Stapleton, it's tough to make your debut in a league semi but it will stand to him. 

I thought young Keneally did well enough. Got a point and won a few frees. 

Sean Hayes finished his chance well. Would have liked to have seen Billy Seymour and Quinn get a game. 

I think Shelley will start in championship in goals. He just has more creativity, takes more risks, and there's more length to his puck outs (not a bad long range free taker either).

Noel McGrath is very important to our shape and creativity up front - and that was completely lost today.

I agree with pretty much everything there. I still say with a few weeks to go there is still a bit of time but as I said earlier a stern chat needs to be had with everyone involved in the Tipperary senior set up , we've been hearing excuses for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Missed today's game but saw other games. I feel Tipps way of trying to short hurl their way out of defence is as predictable as it is dangerous and costs us many scores and turnovers. It seems all six backs are expected to have this same style instead of any individualism they all have naturally. We're like a poor version of Limericks way of walking the ball out of trouble. If G Hegerty was a Tipp forward, would he be allowed hurl like he does with Limerick or would he be expected to buy into this tippy tappy crap that we call hurling . All these overthought systems simply give the top teams time to setup and defend

the players to come back would be i assume (granted john mcgrath is not a guarantee starter )

shelly

barrett

cadell

connelley

mcgraths x2

seymore

tynan

kennady

kehoe

The issue I have is that we mess about with the ball a bit in defence and then hit long ball to the forwards, if you're going to work out from the back, you have to keep playing through the lines and drag your opponent out.

Our style to date is neither here nor there, if we're hitting long ball, we don't have forwards in the inside line that can win it, delaying the delivery with 2/3/4 more passes in the backline makes it even harder for the forwards.

We have the making of a good team. There's a lot on the line for Cahill this year, but Munster will be an almighty dogfight. Every single game will be hard fought. The S&C team will need to have got it right this year.

• Advertisement

Cahill has huge belief in Byrne. I could see how Byrne would work when he played against Galway - short passing game to runners and big physicality for anyone who dared to run through the middle. But the shape up front is killing us, not just up front but at the back too now because it's creating overlaps too handy. It needs to be addressed. I hope it's a case of not showing our hand...

Funny, I don't think we've shown our hand, I suspect (fervently hope) that the game plan in the championship will be different. The worst piece of our shape in the league and some of last year has been that we've tried to flood our half backline area, but the space that the opposition half backs have means it's easy to play around.

I only saw the highlights from yesterday, but KK seemed to get their shape right, they could isolate an inside forward one on one, and pressure Limerick nearly everywhere else.

Out in UL tonight, Tipperary u19 beat Clare in round 3 or 4 (think it's 4) of the u19 Development League. Beat Galway last week. Playing Limerick in the final.

Under 20 footballers beat a very good Clare team on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

'assuming Cork beat Waterford' ah sure will we bother turning up at all?

i am only going on league form , as you well know anything can change between now and then

Cathal Quinn,
    Gearoid O’Connor,
    & Joe Caesar are on the 2024 Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Hurling Rising Stars Team of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Minor Hurling championship starts Thursday evening 7pm versus Cork in Semple Stadium.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Serious wins for the Tipp under 20 and minors footballers in the last few days. Great talent there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

I fear Waterford might get their long overdue win against Tipp this Sunday in the SFC.

Advertisement