Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Area Commuter Rail (CACR)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

From the tender link:

Twin tracking of the single-track sections between Glounthaune and Midleton (approximately 70% of the 10km route)

I suspect the 70% of 10km route means they are avoiding some of the bridge issues in this round. It might strike the right kind of pragmatic uses of time and money. Changing bridges would likely require planning permission, something that this limited improvement doesn't need. Planning permission takes time and will delay this upgrade for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Economics101

By "avoiding the bridge issues" what do you mean? Single track at the bridges? Not even the NTA would go for such a daft scheme. Earlier we had €60m for S and T work, now €30m for less than 10km of track-doubling. And that's before the almost inevitable cost over-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

How much of that 30% includes the passing loop at Carrigtwohill? I remember it being fairly long from the few times I was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

The 30% includes the passing loops. When the line was reopened in 2009 it was constructed as a single line which could be easily upgraded to double track when demand was reached. 3 extended passing loops of 1km in length were also added to allow for higher service frequency than a regular single track line would allow. This is also why the budget is relatively low, as most of the ground work has already been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Thanks. Apologies if it has been well answered but I don't fully understand: will the bridges need to be modified? Is it too early to tell?

• Advertisement

Sorry, this is wrong. The line was never double so the earthworks need attention. Also the existing track will need to be slewed to accommodate the second track. Finally, there was one crossing loop installed in 2009, a long "dynamic" loop at Carraigtohill. There are facilities for crossing trains at either end (at the Junction and at Midleton), not quite the same thing as crossing loops.

I believe the bridges built in 2009 can accommodate double track. Some of the older pre 2009 structures may need modifying though.

Yes you are correct the line was never double track, but that's not what I stated, which you will notice if you reread the post. Fair enough on the length of passing's loops. Its a 2km passing loop at Carrigtwohill and two 500m loops at Glounthaune and Midleton. 3km in total. The line was constructed to the recommendations of the 2003 Faber Maunsell report.

I believe the bridges at Glounthaune (Elm Tree) and immediately adjacent to the west of Carrigtohill are the original bridges and may have been built to single-track width.

I believe that the bridge on station road is original but was built to double track width originally.

Yes that is correct. The station road bridge is already double track as it is part of the passing loop. Interestingly the present rail bridge over the Owennacurra river has pillars constructed for double track but only single track bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

what fleet is being planned for the Cork network once these upgrades are done?

could the 29ks be cascaded from Dublin or could IE order a hybrid fleet from Alstom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most likely it'd be refurbished 29000s cascaded from Dublin.

The 27x0s are not economical to return to service; they would require a very significant overhaul; with the costs involved of doing that for a small and indeed split fleet (2700s, 2750s and the hybrid - I'd expect that to be just dumped if this was hypothetically being done) just not making sense; whereas it probably would for 116 identical cars.

2700s definitely not coming back, for reasons given by L1011. And I have it on good authority that the 2600s used on Cork suburban are the most reliable units on Irish Rail, which is ironic given that they are the oldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The consultation for the dual tracking to Midleton is now open. As regards the bridges issue, the project team are saying the existing bridges are ok and don't need modification, or very minor works where necessary, to accommodate dual tracking. Drawings and reports are at the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What can't a train run from Mallow to Midleton at the moment?

Why is a new platform needed?

What works are required?

The main element of the Glounthaune to Midleton Twin Track project consists of the provision of a second track over the full extent of the line. These works will largely be contained within the existing railway corridor and will include the following:

• Addition of 2nd track over the full extent of the line;
    • Addition of sidings/turn back facilities at Midleton;
    • Modification/replacement of bridges and level crossings to facilitate the twin tracking
    • Associated signalling upgrades and alterations;
    • All associated civil works (retaining walls, boundary treatments, etc.).

All works completed as part of the project will be compatible with future electrification of the Cork Area Commuter Rail network.

While there will be some disruption to services during construction of the new track, this will be kept to a minimum.

https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/getmedia/0aa1f923-a2e4-4c5e-ae4e-c2d70be4157b/Project-Description.pdf

The works are due to commence in 2023 and continue for 2-3 years. 

Two to three years to lay 10km of track on an existing line? Does this seem slow?

In my head, you could lay at least 100m a day, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

One through platform is occupied by a Dublin/Cork train for much of each hour between trips.

With the new service planned as being high frequency between Mallow and Cobh/Midleton, you need two through platforms to be available for the service to be able to operate effectively.

Okay, thanks.

Is there a terminus platform for the Dublin trains to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No - only the two through platforms are available from the north.

The bay platforms are at the far end of the station facing towards East Cork.

The extra through platform is essential.

They say that most of the work will take place at night and weekends to minimize disruption to the rail service. As they want to keep the line open for service as much as possible this significantly reduces the time available to do the works, hence the longer timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The timeline given for every project now seems to be based on "it couldn't possibly take any longer than ..." rather than the actual time such works generally take. It ensures arses are well covered and good potential for pats on the back if delivered in less time than that stated.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tender issued for Provision of Contract Management Support Services for the Cork Area Commuter Rail (CACR) Signalling & Telecommunications upgrade;

48 months duration, option to extend for a further 48 months, on a 6 by 6 months basis at IE’s discretion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Railway Order application to be lodged with ABP for twin tracking of Glountane-Midleton today.

Construction to commence in 2024

Construction to conclude in 2026

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40998071.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great news. Super quick turnaround too

It's being funded by EU Covid stimulus money so hence the breakneck speed. If this was being paid via NDP Ireland 2040 we'd still be stuck at the drawing board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Money isn't the issue with infrastructure in Ireland. It's the planning process and shifting political priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Has the idea of extending/reopening the rail line to Youghal ever been considered

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i don't believe so.

it should be though, the greenway can easily be removed and re-routed and the railway would get more users anyway.

i suspect though it won't be and in decades to come it will be regretted.

but whatever, this is the way it is unfortunately.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I think it was, during the evaluation of the Midleton reopening in 2001 or whenever that was. A long time ago now really.

There's still lots of more deserving projects in Cork, but with the recent/sudden investment in rail infrastructure the last few years it would be great if it was at least evaluated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

and literal public perception sabotage by culturally-entrenched vested interests creating all kinds of strawman arguments and non sequitors within the mainstream media. Including the obligatory RTE reporter on the first day of service sticking a mic into someone's face and saying 'but will you actually use it?"

Advertisement