Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Was looking at properties in Belfast. It is amazing how much more you get there compared with Dublin given it is the second city in Ireland. Nice redbrick edwardian houses for less than €200k. Anybody feel with the NIP this could be a good bet. That the difference in price between the two cities is unjustifiably I think given there similar size and distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Oh come off it

Windsor Park is a kip

Any nationalist in the North is embarassed to plsy for that sectarian statelet and their unrepresentative loyalist paraphanalia

Ireland has a national soccer team representing the whole island, we've players from north, south, east and west

How many 6 county players have switched to the FAI now? 10, 15?

Even the British media and public will follow the Irish soccer team before having to see dreary East Belfast covered in union jacks

Even more laughable was the FA of NI's attempt to force Irish citizens to play for their kip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If we tried to wipe out Irish culture in ni then we were not very successful and should have taken lessons from the southern government who were very successful in all but wiping out ulster/British culture in their jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That makes about as much sense as complaining how the Italian government have been so successful in all but wiping out Parisienne culture in Sicily.

I just don't know anymore. I'm seeing words on my screen but it feels like I have dyslexia. Like my brain refuses to accept that someone could actually write that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sometimes you come across a comment so outrageous and detached from reality, its argument defies parsing or rational interrogation. Where does one even start deconstructing such a claim? God knows post independence Ireland had its problems, but trying to claim it an apartheid state is a bold swing for whataboutery to ignore the sins of a noted, institutional one in the North.

Sad, and curious, that we see a recent Olympics full of "new Irish" folk, happy with their mixed heritage as (for instance) Irish-Nigerian, yet up north this complexity is heretical to some, distasteful even. Openly resistant to the idea this mix applied to them too.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Some posts display things better standing alone than any response could.

I think I'll take a break from our interactions for a short while, Downcow. We're so far apart here it only escalates to one of us attracting moderator action.

What utter nonsense. You are completely unaware of the blinkers you are wearing.

I travelled to Kosovo/Serbia in the early 2,000s. I would have got a short shift if I had told those living in that region that “but by the fact you don't use the demonym of the place you were born raised and currently live implies that YOU see yourself as a foreigner to serbia”

Oh my goodness. I could write an essay on that nonsense of a post.

but maybe best I ask you for a little clarification.

can you list 10 or 15 ni players who defected to roi? Even with all the carrots being dangled.

we all know Derry is a special case as they play in league of Ireland. Can you give me a wee list of the people who have lined up for roi who come from anywhere in the north other than Derry? Lol

your guys worked very hard on our new coming star Conor Bradley. Why is he still pulling on a ni jersey?

where in dreary east Belfast are the union flags ? 😂😂

ive already wasted my time too long on this lol

Post edited by downcow on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Same with the GAWA forum. One could freely join foot.ie or ybig.ie, but apparently the GAWA was a bit more choosy.

• Advertisement

I can only imagine they are trolled by suitors from the south who want them to join in a union that they don’t want to join in.

why do you think it is members only?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

You just told me - so as not to be trolled by Rep. of Ireland supporters (which I sincerely doubt, by the way). If you are being trolled by anyone, I'd look a bit closer to home.

I used to be a member of Foot.ie. There was a GAWA lad on it and I don't think he got any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

If you don't use the demonym of the land it implies you are not connected to land as much as a person who does.

If one person describes themselves as only British while another describes themselves as only Irish. Which person do you think has more a connection with Britain? Under your logic that can't be answered from those descriptions and the person who describes themselves as Irish only can be insulted if you imply they're not connected with Britain as a person who says they're British.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

No idea what you are saying. But I am from Northern Ireland and I completely affiliate with the demonym northern Irish.

do you see how this is a nonsense discussion

I

Post edited by downcow on

Any chance of the clarification I asked for. Or can we all assume you now realise you were talking total nonsense. It’s quite sad what some people believe

Yeah I would agree. The issue is not so much with roi supporters from roi. It’s with roi supporters who don’t come from roi.

Do people think the spat over MDH will make resolving protocol more difficult. Seems very petty. He is upset about the wording yet expects ni people to accept Irish Sea checks. Also a bit pathetic that he rounded on the dup when the vast majority up here including alliance wanted him to rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They got the name of the country that he is president of wrong and invited him to an event celebrating the partition of the country. His non attendance is justified. However i dont think it will have any affect on the protocol.

Yeah I get that about roi but that is what most people up here think it’s called. And yes a silly mistake but surely he could educate and rise above that

it is quite remarkable though that he thinks he is the president of ni also. Astounding. He must have read the gfa with one eye closed. I thought it was only a few extreme posters on here who think that ni does not exist. Incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

it is quite remarkable though that he thinks he is the president of ni also

He doesn't. The name of the country is Ireland. He makes no claim to be president of NI.

Yeah I get that about roi but that is what most people up here think it’s called

That's fine but when you send an official invite to the leader of a country you get the name of the country right. Otherwise you risk insulting them. I think he would have risen above the name but inviting him to an event to celebrate partition is the real issue.

• Advertisement

it is quite remarkable though that he thinks he is the president of ni also. Astounding. He must have read the gfa with one eye closed. I thought it was only a few extreme posters on here who think that ni does not exist. Incredible

What are you on about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Not referring to Michael D as the President of Ireland was extremely petty, childish stuff, and it was definitely meant, given the sensitivities involved there's no way his title goes unchecked.

The event is clearly a celebration of partition, it would be inappropriate for him to attend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

And while criticising Michael D Higgins on Morning ireland, J, Donaldson again referred to him as President of republic of Ireland.

This is a deliberate insult to the president and to the country and he was absolutely right , for all sorts of reasons, to decline the invitation when the event was becoming a political football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As the saying goes, they had one job to do: get the President's title correct. In today's world where the sum total of human knowledge is present at our fingertips, it was either a total and idiotic blunder, or an intentional and petty piece of diplomatic hostility. Given a noted history of "curry my yoghurts", the latter feels depressingly possible. Cynicism from precedent.

And yes, celebrating a partition that has literally caused the loss of lives of thousands from its fallout feels needless and inappropriate. Until Northern Ireland figures out what kind of state it wishes to be, and the ghosts of its sectarian past fully put in the mirror, maybe 100 years is not the right milestone to toot about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How exactly would MDH declining an event have an effect on a political structure created by the UK government?

You are deliberately trying to apportion blame for a Brexit outcome on the EU/Irish government whilst claiming that he is upset over an insulting and politicised invite to the President. Would you be happy if someone had done the same to the queen?

As for the DUP, they will do anything to politicise it if it makes them look good. The DUP are absolute hypocrites - they are happy to harm NI via Brexit but feign offence on behalf of NI for him declining the offensive invite.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah I get that about roi but that is what most people up here think it’s called. And yes a silly mistake but surely he could educate and rise above that

What most people think it is called is irrelevant. If you invite any diplomat then you make sure you don't bollix it up by assigning an incorrect title because then you automatically are offending the people that diplomat represents.

When did he make such a claim? Your lack of knowledge about the island you live on is astounding. Seriously read some books before making stupid comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not sure who issued the invitation. The policy of both governments has been since 1998 (at least) that each uses the titles and descriptions which are correct in the eyes of the other. So UK officials use "Ireland" and "President of Ireland" to refer to the state and its head, rather than "Irish Republic" or variants on it, as they used to, and Irish officials use "United Kingdom" rather than "Britain", as they used to.

Ireland would be keen that there should be no backsliding from that, so if UK official correspondence went back to the old, incorrect terminology, there would be pushback. But the UK government may not be involved here; the invitation (and the wording) may be the responsibility of the organisers of the event, who I understand are a charity.

Does it have implications for talks about the protocol? No, none.

I suggest you listen to mark davenport on radio ulster news. He is a very level headed guy.

he says the four churches tried incredibly hard, maybe too hard, not to offend.

he says the included to phrase about recognising partition to go the extra mile to try and ensure no one was offended by references to creation of ni. He says the kept politicians away from it as they intended this to ne the most inclusive event of 2021. They chose Armagh as it was important to both traditions. The four churches organising are all island churches. He pointed out other stuff they done.

haha. I think it is hilarious and enlightening the whole whoha.

I couldn’t give a toss if he is there or not but it is a major own goal. The catholic leader says he is both very surprised and disappointed that mdh is not attending. So far as I am concerned I don’t care a jot if he stays in his own country. 😀

This is petty nonsense. As said on the news tonight, the mistake over title would be easily changed. If the queen was referred to as the queen of Britain then some officials would contact organisers before the event and point out the error.

petty petty stuff. It makes me proud of our dignified queen who is above nonsense like this

• Advertisement

Tell the Catholic Church leader who is one of the main organisers. Some people here think the world revolves around the Oirish I suppose they should all know the rules of hurly to?

Advertisement