Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,303 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You have doen this before.

I.E. Phrased things in such a way that you can then step away from endorsing them or claim that's what you knew would happen.

The parades to Dublin, the court cases again and again, you hunt with the hounds and run with hare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I taped a wee clip for yous from tonight’s news but can’t get it posted.

basically saying that Eu have shifted from no movement to proposing an offer of a ni specific arrangement for food and also relief on medicines. Basically a permanent grace period.

sounds like we are moving towards getting rid of the bad bits a few on here said were here to stay

bbc newsline 6:30pm right at start

Nobody ever said the EU would not movement within the Protocol downcow. Here is Sefcovic's own words.

We think certain stakeholders in Northern Ireland need to hear that the Protocol will not be rewritten. We will find solutions in its implementation, but we will not propose to the UK to start renegotiating. Because we don't think there is an alternative.”

We discussed this the other night. I don’t expect them to propose renegotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

I actually thought they were singing “You can shove your protocol up your hole” 😄. The poor Swiss aren’t even in the EU I thought 😛. Don’t judge me too harshly 😎

• Advertisement

😂.

but on a serious note it emphasises how easily we see and hear badness in innocent stuff from ‘the other side’. Absolutely not getting at you there, indeed I am sure I misunderstand innocent stuff from Irish culture often.

our friend Brian was using it to justify his prejudice (and no doubt fired up by envy) of Windsor park. That’s when it gets nasty and dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Envy of Windsor Park? Does it still have a stand that's falling apart, or was that repaired recently?

It would make a fairly middle of the pack stadium on this island in terms of capacity; at 18500 it would be smaller than your own Co. Down GAA stadium equivalent to the Derry or Armagh ones....a few hundred more than my team's Brewster Park in Enniskillen. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking it is some spectacular stadium akin to an actual world class facility like Croke Park (or the Aviva, lest you think I'm just comparing GAA and soccer rather than the actual stadia).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's to be envious about with Windsor Park? I mean, sure. I resent how Dublin's main football stadium now looks like a glass bedpan, and is the legacy of a shyster who has set Irish football back 20 years ... ... but that wouldn't translate to actual envy over Windsor. It's a fine stadium, but nothing special in terms of all-ireland stadia. Can't speak to what it has done to try and distance itself from the days of Billy Bingham and that match in '94 - but as a sporting facility? Meh.

Anyway, off-topic segue 'n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Jeffery Donaldson doesn't appear to share that view.

The European Commission vice-president has been accused of dismissing the concerns of unionists over the Northern Ireland Protocol by DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson.

Sir Jeffrey was responding after Maros Sefcovic gave a speech today in which he said any attempt to renegotiate the protocol would create instability in Northern Ireland and said the post-Brexit agreement needed to be implemented in full

This is what I meant exactly about hatred for OWC haha, only I was not referring to you.

again you don’t get it as you are looking from a GAA or roi supporting paradym. The stadium is completely irrelevant. It’s about the people and the atmosphere.

the other night was the second competitive home game I have missed in 25 years but I am hearing it was an astounding night. Some say best atmosphere ever in Windsor, and my goodness I have been in some amazing atmospheres there.

I have been to county GAA games and they are like day and night compared. No one better than the other but clearly each to their own.

but hey you keep enjoying the Aviva library. It is big, I’ll give you that. 😂

• Advertisement

Jeffery wants to ignore the majority and pretend that he is representing 'the people'.

Sefcovic is having none of that bluster, rightly so. Belligerent Unionism might be able to fool itself but it won't fool anyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every home fan thinks their atmosphere, their stadium is the best and unparalleled. Be it Windsor, Nou Camp, Maracana or Turner's Cross. Many don't suffuse that attitude with a bunker complex mind you, and assume dem 'uns south of Aughnacloy are out to get you either. I'm sure Windsor means much to you, that's kind of the point though. Divorced of that emotionality, it is just a relatively interchangeable medium sized stadium (a curse of many modern stadia).

What hatred, Downcow? Can you point out anything I said that was inaccurate?

I genuinely couldn't give a toss about the NI soccer team. I've been to Windsor and been supremely unimpressed....if you think that, 'I'm not overreacting and thinking that your wee not particularly impressive stadium full of sectarian chanting' is jealousy.....well I suspect you'll think whatever you want.

I watch all kinds of sports, I've been in all sorts of stadia, from seeing my Packers in Wisconsin to my lowly Fermanagh playing in Croker, I've watched Madrid derbies in the soccer, I've watched our Irish rugby team in the Aviva and in Twickenham, been to the Glasgow Derby and North London Derby in all four stadia, seen cricket at Lords, I've been to see Joshua vs Ruiz in Madison Square Garden.....Windsor just isn't that special buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This was the protest outside QUB today

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We are getting way off topic. And this rediculous statement of yours about Windsor demonstrates the predjudice I was talking about “stadium full of sectarian chanting”

let’s get back on topic

Sefcovic spoke in his statement for more people in northern Ireland than these people do.

Donaldson and the belligerents have to be told this over and over again - you are a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How long before the business groups and federations tell Donaldson where to go as he is not speaking for them.

They have more or less already told him. As have people like downcow, who is happy to see the Protocol in force if the easements can be worked out,

Awful easy to duck out with the, 'off topic' moan when uncomfortable truths come up. You're talking to someone who has been there, Downcow....your BS won't fly with me. It's quite embarrassing to pull the hard done by when you brought the topic up.

I'm happy to move on though, I'll take it as an acknowledgement that you accept I'm entirely correct;, your stadium is mediocre and you were talking nonsense about people being envious or showing hatred when an average club level GAA stadium sits at a higher standard than your international team's one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is what 25 people there?

Do they look like folks looking for education?

Says it all. There is no real mass protest against the protocol. It's a load of bullshit.

It's not lost on anyone that Jeffery etc are talking up the rejection of the Protocol as well as the problems it is supposedly causing.

Imagine the crowds Paisley Snr would have mustered and you'll get a sense of how Unionism has collapsed in on itself.

I’ll repeat at the risk of being told I’m off topic.

for the GAWA it has zero to do with the bricks and mortar of the stadium.

I can also assure you the stadium is not full of sectarian chanting

you are doing exactly the same as our friend brian O’Srabble-letters with his mis hearing tobblerone 😂

Tomatoe/tomayto You call them easements, I call them common sense changes, but I agree we will get there

Post edited by downcow on

Aye sure thing, Downcow....there was never a sectarian chant in Windsor and I was made feel incredibly welcome there. The Billy Boys definitely doesn't happen and sure The Bouncy has no undertones whatsoever.....everything is grand with the GAWA 🤣

Always amused that it's the first person to point out anything whatsoever about the GAA that pulls the full ostrich act when it comes to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

'brian O’Srabble-letters'.

Mad that there are still folk who come out with stuff like this. Happy to make themselves look utter fools in their incessant disingenuous crusade to undermine their own countrymen.

I absolutely guarantee you there has not been a billy boys chant from the terraces in Windsor for decades. Will you argue or prove different?

i absolutely guarantee you there are no overtones to the bouncy (and we all love it). Will you tell us what these overtones are?

you live in the world of urban myths

Oh dear Lauren, you need to get yourself a sense of humour and lighten up a little

I guess you have no problem with brian _______ stating that OWC fans are rotten to the core, and based on total nonsense he misheard 😂?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Advertisement