Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hah, I think "squaw" may no longer be an appropriate term for a native American woman (since 1980 or maybe 1890?).

This "pseud" wind up over usage of the word native has real chutzpah.

I'll be f-cked if I know what any of it has to do with NI protocol and Irish sea border though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭downcow

🙂 it’s just that a few posters here think that Irish nationalists have some devine right and are somehow the authentic culture on the whole of this island. The rest of us are Jonny come latelys.

It’s what the UI demands are built on and they extend this to somehow justifying Irish Sea checks over checks on the international border

Hah, I think "Native American” may no longer be an appropriate term for a First Nation woman (since 1980 or maybe 1890?). I am not sure they regard themselves as Americans or natives 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The lack of self-awareness and history is remarkable. Your forefathers literally divided our country citing 'God', Monarchy, and Empire, celebrated subordination of the majority for centuries, yet in the bizarro backwards-upside-down unionist alternate reality it's us who feel entitled?

I'm glad the readers of this thread get a little 21st century sample of what our people had to endure for generations and see that it is still manifest in the far northeast of our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't keep up to date with all the 100 % right terminology, but "squaw" is definitely 100 % wrong.

I shouldn't be getting into this given I pointed out its going very far off topic...but

I don't believe even the USs political extremes (right or left) have the gall to tell the tribes there's nothing "special" about the wreckage of their culture, it has no privileged place in the US and even claiming it as "native" shows intolerance towards others now living in the US who came later. Similar for other outposts of the former Empire (Aus/NZ) and their...indigenous peoples.

So you're on a kind of a wind up with this line of argument!

• Advertisement

It still has the potential to be a gamechanger, but it is only one very tiny aspect of the fight to have unesscessary checks removed. Nothing contradictory about that imho.

Yes the drive back was great and anybody that thinks there is a “border” needs to get their head looked. Now of course we are in a grace period - but the Eu has asscented to the uks declaration that it is indefinite so we just need to keep an eye that that doesn’t change.

had it been a trip to a town in another country like Dundalk, then I would have had to treat it as such and eg check I had a green card, change my money, be aware my speedometer would not be compatable, and awareness of different road markings and signage, etc, etc And that wouldn’t even consider if I had any business to do.

there is no doubt where the border is no matter how much wishful thinking some apply

I see the Eu is offering to change their rules and accept that medicines heading for Eu single market can be batch-tested in GB. This is unique to GB only and unique to goods heading to ni only.

LOL - it would be a stretch for even francie to refer to this offer as an easement.

I have been told many times here that goods moving would not be exempt from any Eu laws. And unless Uk joined sbs etc it would just be tough.

seems the dreaded slippery slope has been stepped on by the eu.

We are not disagreeing I believe. I used the term ‘squaw’ to emphasise the problems with the language the poster was using re native culture etc.

I completely understand that ‘squaw’ is no more appropriate than ‘native’ and should not be used or taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A game changer....but also tiny. The spin continues. The indefinite grace period is being interpreted by many (such as Alex Kane, as I already highlighted) as a slow way to ignore Unionist concerns, as the UK would continue to be aligned with the EU, it is essentially a backside into something more akin to Theresa May's deal. I welcome anything which prevents UK divergence.

I'm not sure why you continue to try get a reaction with your different country nonsense; I'm quite glad that you're minimally inconvenienced travelling to Scotland, Downcow....I regularly visit myself, sometimes travelling via NI, sometimes via Dublin. Your suggestion that travelling to Dundalk is MORE effort than to Scotland from Co. Down is patently absurd though. If your business isn't set up for accepting different currencies then it really isn't a very significant business, and I'd seriously question your mental capabilities if I genuinely believed that reading speed limits in km/h (conveniently noted on the inner ring of your speedometer) is MORE inconvenient than the time, effort and expense of getting a feckin' flight or ferry. A huge number more journies are made across the border between NI and Ireland on a daily basis than are made between NI and Scotland....perhaps most people wouldn't agree with you on this.

As for where the international border is.....THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD ALL ALONG! The NI Protocol in no way affects your status as part of the UK, that's why your legal challenge is nonsense. Your argument is so full of holes and contradictions that it reads like you're just saying whatever you think will get a reaction to mask your own insecurities.

As an aside, I saw your follow up post re: medicines. I can't see it reported anywhere yet; do you have a link?

You see Tom’s arguments are in tatters when he considers that there are 32 million Irish Americans.

It’s a problem when you are proud of your white Irish catholic presidents of the northern piece of the continent to our west, but you despise the white British Protestant first minister of the northern piece of this island.

hypocrisy is an embarrassing problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. which of the checks are "unnecessary"? The UK was involved in creating these - were they correct then but wrong now?
    2. Regarding your assertion that anybody that thinks there is a “border” needs to get their head looked - I think it is some within the unionist, loyalist and criminal communities that are making the claim and how it is somehow doing damage. Thank you for confirming what everyone here has been telling you for months.
    3. Regarding your claim that the "Eu has asscented to the uks declaration that it is indefinite" - the EU wants as little disruption as possible. However, this means that the UK is discreetly aligning itself with the EU. I assume you are aware of this?
    4. Your Dundalk claim is pure nonsense and not worthy of much attention. However, whern travelling to Scotland, you still needed to have identification, driving documentation and also a change of money (it is laughable that your money isn't recognised within your own country). What have you no issue having this stuff for driving to another part of your country but you do appear to have an issue to drive in the RoI?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

Your anecdotes always back up your claims, Downcow. I came through Cairnryan in Sept 2019, in a UK registered car. It was completely empty as I had just bought it. That car was searched from top to bottom and inside out. They even searched under the bonnet. I'd never seen the likes of it. And it wasn't just me. The van in front of me got the same treatment.

Not that I'm complaining. They were doing their jobs.

seems you agree with me that there are sea checks but no border on the Irish Sea and that there is inarguably an international border between Newry and Dundalk. That bein the case, I can see why you would think my post was rediculous highlighting differences on either side of the border.

sadly you are wrong to suggest all posters agree with you. Some of them have let their fanciful wishful thinking run away with them, and regularly post that, to all intents and purpose, the border has moved to the Irish Sea. I agree with you that this is nonsense.

as per medicines, I’ll try to get you a link, but it was on tv news

1. i have listed these so many times. But I’ll accept maybe the word ‘checks’ is confusing. I guess I means ‘rules’ that lead to checks eg medicines
    2. superb. We are agreed on this. Hopefully francie, Tom, et al are reading your post and will confirm they agree
    3. haha. It’s very discrete. Wishful thinking
    4. wrong. No identification sought or displayed either when booking or travelling. and my Danske money was accepted without question in Edinburgh - only place I used cash.

Your anecdotes always back up your claims, Speedline.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. you have never listed unnecesasary checks. You listed checks that you disliked between different customs areas which require either agreement of alignement. You often cited the examples of your dog travelling to/from Scotland and also medecines which although available here, could not be imported from GB without agreement or alignment. The EU are making allowances within the parameters of the protocol.
    2. Just for clarity, there is an economic border. There is no physical border. Thi economic border is effectively invisible and does not impact on the ordinary Joe. Only a select few unionists, loyalists and drug dealers are disagreeing with this.
    3. What is wishful thinking? GB is not exporting anything into the EU that is not permitted. Or are you aware of examples? Despite its protestations, the UK is still heavily aligned with the EU. They just need to commit to keep it that way.
    4. NI notes are generally not accepted in GB and if you travel to GB frequently you would know that! Sure notes from the three authorised Scottish banks often aren't accepted in England. Legally Scottish or NI notes don't have to be accepted outside of those countries. It is a stupid system to be honest!

Sorry. You antidotes nicely backed up rejection of my story. Don’t think I made an claims either with regard to that issue. Just told my story. And my story must have irked you when you bothered to provide a counter story.

let’s at least play with a straight bat

1. apologies. In future I will refer to unnecessary rules - which lead to checks
    2. not completely sure what you mean be no physical border. What constitutes a physical border in your eyes?
    3. they were both joined in a union for 40 years which insisted on alignment. It is hardly surprising that there is still almost complete alignment at this stage. The interest will come whe Eu or Uk bring in new rules, whether the other will follow
    4. not my experience in most of Scotland and many areas of England. But you are right. It is not legal tender. I have always thought it was silly but we are a union of nations and obviously some want to keep this - but it’s actually more about banks making money

• Advertisement

If

If you zoom in you can see the van with sniffer dogs that were going around all the vehicles. You can also see a small camper type vehicle being dipped for diesel. They were checking every diesel vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,278 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Our country? The thing you fail to understand is that given the passage of time, it is now their country as well.

It would indeed solve a lot of problems if the people who lived there decided to own it for themselves.

I still can't see anything online regarding what you said was reporter earlier @downcow

I've checked the BBC and even the Bel Tel/Newsletter and can't see a thing about it. Any chance you could share anything so we can see how your interpretation aligns with the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

First Nations is a term specifically for Canadian indigenous peoples other than Métis (a particular ethnocultural group of mixed race) or Inuit (Eskimos). I don’t think it’s used that commonly in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’ve never understood the point of those strange Ulster pounds, useless anywhere else. You have to watch you don’t accumulate any of them up there.

agrred. And likewise Scottish, It doesn’t keep me awake at night but I have put mine in Ethernet

Well I thought First Nation was used for USA, Canada, nz, Aussie, etc. But I am open to education on this. I just don’t think natives works.

I think sitting bull would say (I think) is that he wasn’t the first person there and doesn’t have anymore ownership of the land than those before or after. He would just want everyone to show respect for creation. Unfortunately that will not sit well with the “Irish” who think they have more Devine right to the place than us British, but hey!

The issue arises when the newcomers attempt to destroy the pre-existing people and their culture, Downcow.

The old adage about when one is accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression springs greatly to mind. No one is oppressing Ulster Scots culture; indifference isn't oppression. Your ancestors actively attempted to wipe out Irish culture. I've said it before; my own vision of a united Ireland includes supports and protections for your culture, history has demonstrated that you don't apply the same support for mine in NI.

Still no source on your talk of EU backing down on medicines by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

No but by the fact you don't use the demonym of the place you were born raised and currently live implies that YOU see yourself as a foreigner to Ireland. That is something you CHOOSE. That is not what I am saying or the 97% of the UK population who would refer to you as Irish aswell btw. Or even your great grandparents who would have referred to themselves as Irish. But we know from your posts you like segregation and the apartheid culture of the North. But thankfully it will die out with intermarrying and more foreigners coming here.

Advertisement