Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

He quit at the sight of first trouble ......
    half expected it , but i wanted to see Saunders ko'ed proper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Augme

Quit from Billy. But I'm not sure id blame him! Canelo really is ferioucis. BJS would have been destroyed in the following round which would have been great to see. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Had it 5-3 to Canelo at the time of the stoppage. Feels like a strange stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,951 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He quit at the sight of first trouble ......
    half expected it , but i wanted to see Saunders ko'ed proper

Exactly it..

Was tiring, had done all he could. Canelo coming on, and he knew this..

Quit job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Canelo is a tiny man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Why would he quit when he was doing so much better than anybody had thought he would have?! Eye looks bad but not enough to do the fight bad? Maybe just that the series of the shots in the 8th let him know how powerful he was and he didn't want any more?

Think most thought he'd be competitive until the gas tank started to go to be fair. Pretty much played out exactly as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Don't know how you make that out, he got caught with a good uppercut to the eye and your saying he was tired, finished and quit, don't see it pwrsonally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Good fight but a disappointing ending. Thought BJS was well and truly in that fight until he got caught in the 8th

I instantly thought of the eye socket, has to be serious damage whatever it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Morrison J wrote: »
    Think most thought he'd be competitive until the gas tank started to go to be fair. Pretty much played out exactly as that.

Don't think the gas tank was going, think he was slowed down as he was getting really rocked for the first time in the fight.

No issues with them for me. I think Chris Mannix's card on the broadcast is the worst offender by far tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Canelo stays the pace and eventually unleashes the power.

Hearn says the corner stopped it. Can't argue with any trainer not wanting to send their fighter back out to face Canelo with an eye like that, especially after the shots he had just taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Thats fine , 6 -2 and 5-3 .......

Billy would never have won on points.

Don't think the gas tank was going, think he was slowed down as he was getting really rocked for the first time in the fight.

The hands were dropping and the legs were slowing I thought. Canelo made that 22ft ring look very small.

5-3 is fine. Think 6-2 would have been harsh but none of them are particularly egregious. Canelo didn't lose any rounds the way Saunders lost the 8th.

I had it 5-3 Canelo

Saunders wasn’t really winning. He was being competitive and slippy, but not really authoritative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Disappointing to see a fighter who claimed they were willing to die in the ring go and retire between rounds.

We obviously don’t know what injury he has behind it but I hope it wasn’t a quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You couldn't send him back out with that eye tbf, that looks pretty bad and Canelo would of done serious damage to it.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Disappointing to see a fighter who claimed they were willing to die in the ring go and retire between rounds.

We obviously don’t know what injury he has behind it but I hope it wasn’t a quit.

It was a quit..

Unless doctor stopped it..

I don’t think a doctor stopped it.

Yeah 5-3 is fine. Enjoyed the fight, power punch did it. Orbital bone= eye socket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Nice to see Canelo with his whole family there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'm not a Billy Joe fan by any means, but I don't get how people could say he just gave up. He has a fractured orbital bone. Supposed to be excruciating and if your sight in your eye is gone your corner are never going to leave you back out.

NewMan1982 wrote: »

Here he is calling out Dubois for quitting over the same injury. Deserves all the abuse that comes his way. Got to back up your statements.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1333070142826291200?s=19

Be interesting now to see how Saunders and his followers spin this into a win, or an excusable loss...

Give it a few days..

Morrison J wrote: »
    Here he is calling out Dubois for quitting over the same injury. Deserves all the abuse that comes his way. Got to back up your statements.

https://youtu.be/9-n8GFhhDfM

Interesting. BJS full of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

deisedevil wrote: »
    I'm not a Billy Joe fan by any means, but I don't get how people could say he just gave up. He has a fractured orbital bone. Supposed to be excruciating and if your sight in your eye is gone your corner are never going to leave you back out.

Surely an X-ray is needed to confirm it? Couldn’t possibly be known at this early stage.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    It was a quit..

Unless doctor stopped it..

I don’t think a doctor stopped it.

Hearn says trainer stopped it, but presumably that's after asking Billy Joe whether he wanted to go back out.

If it's a fractured orbital as suggested, nobody sitting at home watching on TV can criticise a fighter for not wanting to risk losing an eye.

Advertisement